Blomkamp and Copley Reteaming for Elysium

Deadline is reporting that District 9 writer/director Neill Blomkamp and star Sharlto Copley (The A-Team) are reteaming for Blomkamp's new sci-fi movie Elysium.

The site says that Elysium is "set in the far future on another planet and, like 'District 9,' is filled with many sociopolitical ideas wrapped up inside a Hollywood action film."

Blomkamp and Media Rights Capital are currently looking for a distributor, with Blomkamp including a graphic novel in his presentation to studios. District 9 was released by Sony's TriStar Pictures.

District 9, which was made for just $30 million, earned $210.8 million worldwide. The film was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, as well as in the Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing and Visual Effects categories.

Read more: Blomkamp and Copley Reteaming for Elysium - ComingSoon.net

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72161

Can't wait!

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what they come up with. I thought District 9 was fantastic and largely under-appreciated.

It's going to be about how a group of poor human refugees dock their mothership above one of the alien cities on some alien planet in the future :shiftyninja:

Matt Damon is in talks to join Sharlto Copley (The A-Team) in Neill Blomkamp?s Elysium, as first reported by Deadline. Copley had been announced as a supporting character last week, but the futuristic sci-fi film, Blomkamp?s second after last year?s Oscar-nominated District 9, still needs a star.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/10/matt-damon-elysium/

• 1 month later...
Sony has just purchased Neil Blomkamp's Elsyium starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley!

After a day full of meetings Blomkamp is set to work again with Sony who released his breakout film District 9. Sources have said that Sony is paying a whopping $120 million for Elysium, despite denials from studio insiders. Another rumor was that Universal was in talks to finance the film but THR has confirmed that is not the case.

Elysium has a lot going for it with a great cast and most notably Syd Mead working on set design. It is set for release in late 2012.

[x]

• 1 month later...
Sony has announced that District 9 director Neill Blomkamp?s second feature Elysium will hit theaters on March 8th 2013. The second weekend in March is a release date made popular by director Zack Snyder, who famously opened the R-rated comic book adaptation 300 to a record $70.9 million opening weekend. Snyder has also opened Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen on the same weekend. So far, Elyisum has the March 8-10 weekend to itself ? but that is bound to change.

• 1 month later...

Jodie Foster's role in District 9 director Neil Blomkamp's next movie is reportedly as "a head of state of an alien planet." And this character is "evil-ish." She also clarified what themes the movie will address: "I think he's exploring similar themes [as depicted in "District 9"] about social injustice, and a future that excludes people, where the have-nots and the haves are becoming more and more distinct." [Los Angeles Times and MTV]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
In the year 2159, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard line government of?cial, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn?t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max (Matt Damon) is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that, if successful, will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.

http://screenrant.com/elysium-movie-synopsis-sandy-179869/

I thought the movie was supposed to take place "on another planet"? "space station orbiting Earth" doesn't sound too exotic to me. :/ But I guess it could be OK.

I thought the movie was supposed to take place "on another planet"? "space station orbiting Earth" doesn't sound too exotic to me. :/ But I guess it could be OK.

probably where the daunting mission comes into play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...