Official Xbox 360 vs. The World

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:11

the slowest i've seen a download on steam in the last 3 -5 years is 1.1mbps for me2

My slowest was about 256kb on the day they released Portal for free. I have a 60mb service.

how am i supposed to download a download only game i only have a code for and no disc from anywhere other than teh redeem code option in xbox dashboard which is so cleverly hidden away? code did not work in xbox.com. i started the download before i started drinking that night and it finished near the end of the night. maybe it had more to do with the xbox s having wireless g and not wireless n.

Redeem code is in multiple places. If the developer puts it in the game, it's in a game menu. However, you can consistently find it by: Guide Button > Markeplace > Redeem Code. As for your wireless issue, you really should be running wired. It's faster, more stable and more secure. But if you insist on wireless, then you should maybe look at your settings to see why you are only at G. The Xbox 360 S (and the Wifi adapter for the old Xbox 360) are both at N.

#32 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:13

dude hate to say i told you so re: the media center capabilities...still not there. lightyears behind even the most basic HTPC.

forgot you got Wake from Games on Demand, sorry, but the expansions you can download from the game menu, don't go to the marketplace for those. it's a known glitch, works best from the game menu. please believe me.

and yes, you're very lucky my friend, PCs love you. during the Xmas sale i was red in the face less from drinking and more from looking at stuff coming off Steam at 34KB/s. yes, it wasn't my imagination, just go to the Steam holiday sales thread and you'll see plenty people had those problems. from now on i will just assume you're Gabe to make things easier. i think in one of the emails he once sent me when i was complaining about the first Half Life crashing he also had a thing for "teh" instead of "the". so you must be him!

#33 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:14

Don't use MCE, just share your libraries through WMP, and then use the My Videos or My Music menus on the 360. Works much better. I got the MCE working, once, but it was pretty atrocious. That, and the sharing works on my Macs, too. I use a 360 as my main entertainment hub, so it definitely works.

Yup, same here. I use connect360 from Nullriver (and mediaconnect for PS3 from nullriver) for all my Mac streaming.

#34 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:15

the xbox only saw my g wireless network. my router also has n which my mom's netbook sees just fine, in addition to the g network.

it was a bitch finding the redeem code option in the dashboard, since the instructions on the voucher say something entirely different. i literally had to go through every single menu to find it.

#35 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:18

the xbox only saw my g wireless network. my router also has n which my mom's netbook sees just fine, in addition to the g network.

Well, it does N no problem, so I would take a look at your settings.

it was a bitch finding the redeem code option in the dashboard, since the instructions on the voucher say something entirely different. i literally had to go through every single menu to find it.

Now you know how easy it is ;) I redeem mine 50/50 on Xbox.com and on Xbox itself. Works every time.

#36 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:21

Don't use MCE, just share your libraries through WMP, and then use the My Videos or My Music menus on the 360. Works much better. I got the MCE working, once, but it was pretty atrocious. That, and the sharing works on my Macs, too. I use a 360 as my main entertainment hub, so it definitely works.

that method works for even less files than tversity. i'm pretty much tot eh point where i've realized the only way to get HD media is through netflix or encoding future files to wmv(i have some 720p videos in this format and they all work)

dude hate to say i told you so re: the media center capabilities...still not there. lightyears behind even the most basic HTPC.

forgot you got Wake from Games on Demand, sorry, but the expansions you can download from the game menu, don't go to the marketplace for those. it's a known glitch, works best from the game menu. please believe me.

and yes, you're very lucky my friend, PCs love you. during the Xmas sale i was red in the face less from drinking and more from looking at stuff coming off Steam at 34KB/s. yes, it wasn't my imagination, just go to the Steam holiday sales thread and you'll see plenty people had those problems. from now on i will just assume you're Gabe to make things easier. i think in one of the emails he once sent me when i was complaining about the first Half Life crashing he also had a thing for "teh" instead of "the". so you must be him!

meh iwas expecting these slow speeds from steam during the holiday sale and yeah it was slower than normal, but nothing too bad.

as for me being gabe, i'm not nearly that fat and i'm usually on time when i make appointments. :laugh:

Now you know how easy it is ;) I redeem mine 50/50 on Xbox.com and on Xbox itself. Works every time.

i'll double check it later tonight.

and i'll try redeeming my points code on xbox.com. for xbl gold i didn't even bother i just input it from my xbox.

#37 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:22

well, i concur with Soldier, the 360 does 802.11n no problem. Gabe.

#38 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:24

i'll try it again later and make sure the only network it sees is the g or n networks.

#39 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 17 January 2011 - 14:29

you guys are right, i'm retarded, the xbox is on my n wifi. :pinch: :wacko: :shiftyninja:

#40 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2011 - 13:41

you're not retarded, it happens. you should have seen the questions i was asking around here when i got my first 360. now that was retarded.

#41 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:28

is your N network 2.4 or 5 Ghz ? nevermind then, just noticed you had it on N.

The original white one with one antenna only does G, but the new one with two shoudl do N, not sure about 5Ghz though.

that method works for even less files than tversity. i'm pretty much tot eh point where i've realized the only way to get HD media is through netflix or encoding future files to wmv(i have some 720p videos in this format and they all work)

there are multiple ways to stream HD movies to the 360. The easiest is TVersity or PS3MediaServer. though in my experience it needs to be set to always transcode since, even though it shouldn't need to, remuxing should be enough on 90% of files.

However, if you use MCE and with the right stuff installed on the PC, you can play all files on the 360 through MCE extender without remuxing or transcoding.

At my GF's we just use PS3MS thugh for simplicity, and at home I have a HTPC with a TV tuner and all so my 360 don't do a lot of media duty.

#42 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:35

remuxing does nothing for any of the files that won't play. even though they are on codecs that should play on the xbox when using the correct container.

none of these files play in MCE on the PC itself, even with the correct codecs installed, adn they play under wmp12. MCE on xbox sits at a message that it's looking for files to add to the library or something for an hour until i give up and switch back to trying something new with the other ways of doing things. i'll note MCE sees my relatively huge music library just fine.

i might try to set files to always transcode in tversity. installing ps3mediaserver just screwed everything up and i needed to reinstall almost everything.

i'll also note, as much as i am being annoyed by this stuff, getting streaming to work at all on this xbox is about 100x easier than it was on my last xbox about 3 years ago through windows vista.

#43 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:45

The original white one with one antenna only does G,

Yeah, but I didn't think they sold that one anymore, so I was just talking about the black one.

#44 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:48

There are guides that tell you what codecs and how to install them to make MCE play everything, I think someone did on these forums in fact to. I believe you needed special codec packs that made MCE recognize the files.

#45 furyshinobi

furyshinobi

(☞ ՞ਊ ՞)☞

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:58

The reasons why I prefer the 360 is the amount of exclusive games that Microsoft is pushing - Games such as Lost Odyssey, Fable 3 and Alan Wake appeal to me but personally I feel that since Kinect is out, Microsoft is pushing for Kinect exclusive games like that Panzer Dragoon sequel, Steel Battalion, etc.. This year imo, besides multiplats, there are not many exclusive non-kinect focused game that interest me; Gears 3 doesn't interest me along with Codename Kingdoms... Only Forza 4 I'm looking forward to this year. Like Audio says the price of an arcade 360 convinced me to buy one. I'll probably have the worst LIVE experience ever being called all sorts of names online so that's why I only play with those on my friend's list now :(

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!