How to be a game programmer and developer?

Question

Hello :) .I am new in this forum and i am really interested in programming.I really want to learn to program with Cuda, C++ you know. I want to make my own game engines and 3D games with stunning grafiks. I saw really interesting things in the Nvidia developer zone like Nvidia PhysX SDK, OpenGL, OpenCL, DirectX and many other stuff. I want to learn how to program with them and for what and how can i use it? What i must learn first? From what i must start? What book's i must read of i am new to software and game programming? I am really confused. Thank's :D .

If you want to get big, you got to start small.

And TBH you won't believe how many people drop out of Electrical/Computer Engineering around here (Especially Software Engineering majors) because they think they love programming until they realize what the hell they got themselves into. I only have a couple of friends who are truly passionate about these things and stuck with the program. And personally when I was younger I "sort of" liked programming, but I'm glad I'm in Electrical and programming is less than 30% of the education. Be careful to distinguish between stuff you like when it's not so challenging, and when it's super challenging and super boring. This is when it separates true programming lover or just someone who dreams of making something epic when they're younger.

in my experience you should never do something you love for a living. When you do something that you love for a living... it becomes a job and you could learn to hate it. Make your job something you can "happily tolerate" and keep your passion a hobby.

You really expect to make a game like Assassins Creed, Need for Speed, Mirrors Edge etc? You do realize these were NOT made by a single person right? I'm not saying a person couldn't do it but it would take a LONG time plus we're talking about someone with a lot of experience.... not someone who's still not willing to make a tic-tac-toe game

in my experience you should never do something you love for a living. When you do something that you love for a living... it becomes a job and you could learn to hate it. Make your job something you can "happily tolerate" and keep your passion a hobby.

I don't agree with that heh, I love programming and despite working at a company that one could argue is a crap place to work at I still enjoy work for the most part because I'm still doing something I truly enjoy doing. If the OP truly loves programming he should definitely look into it, but also shouldn't expect to skip all of the building blocks.

Like others are saying, you need to start small. Your mind will explode if you go straight into trying to develop something like CryEngine. You need to start with making games like snake, tic-tac-toe, you know all that 2D goodness. Then move onto the complicated stuff.

I didn't start writing complex software that aids automation straight away, I wrote calculators and notepad applications first then start to find projects or tools you can develop.

Finally, no one is going to stay on this thread and tell you every book you need to read. I think that what I am saying is the basis of what everyone else is going to say.

The reason I think I've been successful (besides the fact that I work for an awesome company) at keeping my sanity and passion in the industry is because I've managed to position myself in a place that pays me for my hobby, not requires me to do a job. There are deadlines, sure, and a lot of the tasks can get tedious, but I'm also encouraged to innovate and try new things, experiment in new technology, and do things on my own initiative. Very rare you'll get those perks in a engine design house... there's a happy medium to be had in the industry, but finding it's HARD.

I think quete everyone are understimating me. I will say it a second or third time: I know how to program with BASIC and i want to say that BASIC is one of the first languages ever made and Visual Basic.NET is really a programming language based on the old BASIC language. Ok i don't know why i am writing that, but of course i am not planning to make Assassins Creed Brotherhood for one day xD. And i know how large teams make games. An example is Crysis 2 with 3000 people developing it on the Sandbox 3.

Ok not just on the Sandbox, but on Photoshop, 3Ds Max i think, but i am not shure, maybe Affter Effects and there are actors and many many other stuff.

I think quete everyone are understimating me. I will say it a second or third time: I know how to program with BASIC and i want to say that BASIC is one of the first languages ever made and Visual Basic.NET is really a programming language based on the old BASIC language. Ok i don't know why i am writing that, but of course i am not planning to make Assassins Creed Brotherhood for one day xD. And i know how large teams make games. An example is Crysis 2 with 3000 people developing it on the Sandbox 3.

Ok not just on the Sandbox, but on Photoshop, 3Ds Max i think, but i am not shure, maybe Affter Effects and there are actors and many many other stuff.

BASIC is exactly that...basic, learn a better language, maybe C or C++ and again learn the basic stuff regarding graphics and then consider writing your great 3d game

Of cource i will learn C++ or C#. With BASIC you can't make so many stuff.Ok i am planning that. I will learn C++, DirectX, programing PhisX, OpenGL, OpenCL and then what!? What can i make with them? How can i make a game engine with them or a 3D Design program or a render or i don't know xD. I just want to know how to work with these languages and make with them a game engine with toolset and with that toolset to make a game. Just tell me the books that i need, the stuff from school that i need and everything that I NEED. Is ot soooooo hard!? Ok i don't know how hard is that i am not the other users.Ok sory that i am so nervous :whistle: .

Wow, cut this guy some slack.

Games programming is IMHO one of the most involving aspect of programming with more to juggle than many other areas.

How about you start with a simple top-down 1 screen shooter and progress from there?

.................................. ah i don't know. For now anyone can't help me. Look it is easy to make a game with the UDK it's not so hard, but i want to make........ you know what i want to make.

Okay, what we're telling you is that you're going to need a lot of experience with different languages and building smaller, single purpose applications (like tic tac toe) before you're ready to take on larger projects like engine development. It's not as simple as "read ______" unless you want to use a very specific technology. There are tons of books and online tutorials for learning XNA or Unreal or Unity or JavaGL or... insert technology. But building a low level graphics engine requires a lot of non-specialized code that there really honestly isn't that many people doing at this point, and if they ARE doing it, they're doing it in a corporate/business environment and aren't exactly going to write a how to.

If you want to be able to build tools like Sandbox or Unreal, you've got a long way to go from where you are now to there. Again, if you want to make a, from the ground up, full 3d game...you can do that with a bunch of different platforms without having to mess with DirectX directly. If you're famliar with .Net, check this out:

http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/series1.php

or there's Unity, which produces finished games for browsers, desktops, macs, linux(?) and iphones at least... you can read about how to use it here:

http://unity3d.com/

and find tutorials here:

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/3d-platform-game

If you really want to go low level... Here's some basic tutorials for C++ and Direct X

http://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial10/tutorials.aspx

(i linked to DX10 because 11's still not fully adopted widely... if they are backwards compatible correct me but never messed directly with this stuff...)

Making a game with the UDK and from scratch are two entirely different worlds. I'm definitely not saying you wouldn't be able to do it, just don't skip the building blocks. Creating a game engine, even one that isn't 3D takes a lot of practice and knowledge. Creating simple games like tic-tac-toe will give you some insight into the structure of a basic game and that will be something you can build on when you start making engines.

Thank you for the answer :) . I really want to know DirectX 11, but there are no books for now and my computer with his "High end" parts xD.

Wow Unity looks really like Sandbox. Really cool :) .

you should take a look at udk (unreal dev kit) if you want to start in game making it has alot of resources and tutorials to help get even the most green game maker started.

You don't need any books (in fact, I think they're a pretty poor way to learn things after you've got the programming fundamentals down), and Direct3D 11 is just Direct3D 10 with a few new things. You can't learn Direct3D before you learn C++, various Windows APIs, and the basics of COM. These are prerequisites. You have to actually be able to use the programming language, and you have to actually know how Windows works first. You can't skip this step. It's like trying to build a house without even knowing how to use a hammer.

Since it appears that you are more interested in getting quick results rather than being genuinely interested in actually learning from scratch, I suggest you follow the advice given by others and just use an existing framework/engine. Then you just have to fill in your game logic and art. Alternatively, you could stay in the .NET world and give XNA a try.

I know UDK. It's a really good tool :) .

Ok look. I will learn C++ and then DirectX3D, but can i learn it fully with just tutorials? I think that i need a book xD.

I know UDK. It's a really good tool :) .

Ok look. I will learn C++ and then DirectX3D, but can i learn it fully with just tutorials? I think that i need a book xD.

You can learn Direct3D from tutorials, but you have to be willing to put in the effort to learn it..not just copy it.

Usually most tutorials will give you like sample codes with a few exercises..don't just copy and paste and modify like 2 digits to see what you get. Think about something that you want to make, and as you're learning the different bits...change what the tutorial tells you to make into what you want to make. For example, the tutorial I used showed me how to make pong and tetris...instead I'm making a side shooter.

Obviously there are some exceptions...like most OpenGL / D3D tutorials start off teaching you how to draw triangles (there's a reason for that and you'll learn it)...so don't expect that within 2 mins of reading something you'll be able to make Crysis.

Oh and LEARN C++. Don't jump into D3D without having good knowledge of C++, it will be hell...good knowledge of Windows APIs will help you too but you can learn those along the way.

---

One thing I highly suggest is learn how to use multiple source / header files beforehand (it isn't hard, in-fact its quite simple but I'll leave it to you to learn / understand how to do it :p ). Don't start coding everything into 1 .cpp file...it will eventually become really hard to read / follow / understand and then when you try to split it...it just gets messy.

C++ For Dummies is a good starter book, then followed up with C++ Programming Language - Special Edition.

Basically have a look at books by authors Scott Meyers and Herb Sutter. These books will help you learn and understand the C++ language. Then it would be a good idea to look into:

Beginning Game Programming

C++ Game Programmers Development

I always find reading from books a much easier and more effective way of learning rather than looking at online tutorials.

I know how to program with the BASIC.NET language in Visual Studio, but not fully :rolleyes: .

LOL. First off, it's best to begin with a real language like C. That way you can concentrate on actually programming instead of learning a bloated library for months. C will also force you to solve problems, and not rely on other people's work.

And as others have said, start with learning basic programming, then move on to advanced graphics stuff. If you plan on doing game programming, I hope you know euclidian mathematics :ninja:

Of cource i will learn C++ or C#. With BASIC you can't make so many stuff.Ok i am planning that. I will learn C++, DirectX, programing PhisX, OpenGL, OpenCL and then what!? What can i make with them? How can i make a game engine with them or a 3D Design program or a render or i don't know xD. I just want to know how to work with these languages and make with them a game engine with toolset and with that toolset to make a game. Just tell me the books that i need, the stuff from school that i need and everything that I NEED. Is ot soooooo hard!? Ok i don't know how hard is that i am not the other users.Ok sory that i am so nervous :whistle: .

You've just highlighted the biggest problem - you're massively underestimating the task you're taking on. It's not as simple as reading a few books, it is as you put it "soooooo hard", and takes decades of study and experience to become good at.

If it was as easy as you think it is, every man and his dog would be making their own games. Wake up, and grow up.

Thank you for the answer :) . I really want to know DirectX 11, but there are no books for now and my computer with his "High end" parts xD.

Wow Unity looks really like Sandbox. Really cool :) .

I suggest starting with something simple like an isometric tiled map game. It's simple enough, but it will also allow you to play with the camera, design and experiment with internal data structures that represent the game on screen, and get to know the opengl/dx API.

Professional game engines generally use C++ and Direct3D but that doesn't mean you should start with these (they are HARD). The best thing you can do is to learn one language well (continue with VB if you please, it's fine), make small games with it and gradually make larger projects. You say you don't want to do Tic-Tac-Toe, but I bet you don't know how to do it. How will you know how to make 3D game engines then? All you learn by making small projects is stuff that you will one day integrate into a full-blown 3D game engine if you ever get there. It's more rewarding and will make your portfolio look better, so that the day you show up to EA or Blizzard, you can say : "look when I was in high school I made these small games", instead of saying "well I had an idea of that next-gen 3D game but it never saw the light of the day". The former will impress them a lot, the latter will not.

You're just not going to code a C++, Direct3D-based 3D engine that supports several state-of-the-art features. Not now, not in a year, probably not in a decade. It's just not happening, so instead of wasting your time trying to grab the holy grail, do what all the guys at EA and Blizzard did, and make some small games that present a manageable challenge to you. Gee, if you don't have the patience for that, you won't go very far in programming.

Edited by Dr_Asik

I think everyone is forgetting to ask OP a very important question:

emilxp, do you actually enjoy programming or do you want to get into game development because you enjoy playing video games?

If it is the former, than I wish you the best of luck in you endeavor and I would suggest you take some college courses, especially if you are considering doing so as an occupation.

If it is the latter, I would very much consider not wasting your time on it. The skill set required to enjoy video games and that required to make them are very different. And I can guarantee, if you go to any college, you will find plenty of liberal arts majors who set out to make some really cool games, got to the lecture in CS101 where they teach recursion and found out they couldn?t cut it.

Ou sory i forget to read page 4 in the topic :p . Now my answer is: I really enjoy programming. It's really fun, because from code you make cool stuff :) . And i don't think i will continue with VB, because i know the basics stuff in it and some advanced stuff, but i will not use it in the future and for that i think i will read the books that gave me sean.ferguson. I have the one of them. I have Beginning C++ Game Programming, but on pdf :p .