Two Internet Connections, One Provider... and One Cable

Here's the idea:

I am renting a place that has a shared internet connection with about 5 or so other people. As you can imagine, having that many people on, even if they are just browsing Neowin and one dude is on YouTube (or his other favorite flash-based video site ;)), can really bog down the line. This of course, makes anything that requires a fast response time (i.e. gaming) impossible.

I am heavy into the online gaming and find it heart stabbingly painful to play on a line shared with 5 other people. As such, I am determined to find a way to set up my own private internet connection.

Besides attempting to set up some form of QoS (which the landlord will not go for), the next best alternative is to set up my own internet connection with some ISP, purchasing/renting my own modem, and paying for the line myself.

Currently, the place in question has a high speed cable package from TekSavvy, and has cable lines (all connected) throughout the building.

My question is this: Is it possible to have a second, independent internet connection over the same cable lines that are already installed in the building. For example, is it enough for me to simply purchase some package from an ISP (possibly the same ISP the landlord is using), along with a modem, hook it up to the same cable line that the first modem is connected to, and away I go? Or will an independent line have to be run through the house for the second connection?

50 DKP Plus for the best answer :p

No, you will need a new line for a second internet connection. They should be able to run that line straight up to your building/room though if the landlord allows them to.

It took forever for me to find a google search result that yielded what I wanted.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14731573

In the discussion above, it seems to confirm what I thought - having multiple drops should not be needed. Does the ISP not simply splice the cable themselves when they need to do multiple drops?

If someone could explain exactly how cable goes from the fiber node, to the lines running down my street on the telephone polls, to each of the houses on my block, it may help me to understand this better. Does the cable provider not simply splice the main cable and attach a line for each house?

It took forever for me to find a google search result that yielded what I wanted.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14731573

In the discussion above, it seems to confirm what I thought - having multiple drops should not be needed. Does the ISP not simply splice the cable themselves when they need to do multiple drops?

If someone could explain exactly how cable goes from the fiber node, to the lines running down my street on the telephone polls, to each of the houses on my block, it may help me to understand this better. Does the cable provider not simply splice the main cable and attach a line for each house?

I meant to edit my post to correct myself a bit, but I had a customer and couldn't get back to edit it before the time limit ran out.

What I mean with my initial post is without having a second separate line coming into your house, you cannot run 2 different cable services.

If you can get them to splice the line that comes to the building from the road (but BEFORE it goes to the cable box outside the building), then they should be able to attach a second box without a problem.

Basically, connect them in parallel, so you go from the box at the end of the road, to your building, and attach 2 boxes side-by-side. One box can attach to your buildings cabling, the other box has to be strung to the room you want your second service at. It is impossible to have two different service plans with only one box hooked up to the houses wiring, but the second plan can be on a different line that comes in before the first box.

EDIT: Here's an example of how I imagine it would work: post-168771-0-87569000-1294092151.jpg

As long as they splice the cable before it gets to your current box, they should be able to put 2 boxes one one main cable. But I'm not sure what the rated speeds are for the cable they use to go from the road/pole to the building.

• 3 months later...

ya conjor,a new coonection can be set with existing cable lines.I have purchased package from DSL without any new cable lines.They provide me modem and connection.No need arise for wiring my office so i get cheap installation of connection.You can contact to them.

For More Information Visit:dsl and internet provider