Windows 7 Product Key... partially lost

Hey gyus,

I lost 3 characters from my Windows 7 Product Key on Certificate Of Authenticity so it currently looks like this:

XXXXX-XXXXX-???XX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The problem is, I do not have Windows 7 currently installed on this PC, therefore I cannot use programs recovering product key from installed Windows.

So, since there are many programs verifying product keys, or generating them, do you know any for recovering broken ones like mine one?

Please help :(

TIA

PS. Certificate Of Authenticity ID is fully readable, if it might help.

Is this legit? I'm calling spam/fake...

You mean my Windows? It is fully genuine, I used to have it preinstalled. I can provide you a photo of COA (since you cannot use my OEM Product Key anyway :p).

Is this legit? I'm calling spam/fake...

I wouldn't even call it spam/fake, since he isn't posting the partial key he has... however the only way that I know of is to get the key from the source. If the COA is readable, then it should be on there. He says the COA is readable.... so?

so you don't have 7 installed but you have an installation disk that has a product key that has missing digits?

If that's the case, then do what Jedi said, call MS they might help you out.

Call Microsoft- they might be able to help you out.

I did - they offered me to provide me replacement product code, however, that would mean expenses for me.

hold the certificate at an angle to see if you can see the imprinted numbers still on it. you may just be able to make out the letters/numbers.

I did so and therefore I only have three, not four characters missing. Thanks anyway.

did you buy it from MS or from a BestBuy or something similar?

I had picked up a copy of Win7 for a client and the Key Sheet was missing from the jewel case. Went to BB and got a brand new package with a key in. Later found it the key had fallen out of the package and went under the dryer lol. :pinch:

he doesn't have Windows installed does he?

he doesn't have Windows installed does he?

It sounded like he did, dunno as there is no other way to know the windows serial without getting it off the pc using an app like the one i linked or reading it off the sticker.

I think you kind of screwed yourself with not checking the prod. key before wiping and going to Linux.... There's no way otherwise to recovery and get that key unless you whine to MS but that probably won't help either.

if you have a restore partition or DVD you could just restore it then use the app to get your serial.

If it's a Dell, I know with Windows XP if it was a Dell Computer and you used a Dell Disk to install Windows you didn't need a key. But I'm not sure it works like that in Win7. I'm sure he would still need a key.

if you have a restore partition or DVD you could just restore it then use the app to get your serial.

If I could do it, that topic wouldn't exist ;) I do not have such thing. Only "normal" install DVD and damaged COA.

I think you kind of screwed yourself with not checking the prod. key before wiping and going to Linux.... There's no way otherwise to recovery and get that key unless you whine to MS but that probably won't help either.

Awww :( Thanks for help anyway.

It was replaced with Ubuntu, so it's just not there.

I would suggest you contact your system manufacturer - they may be able to provide you with the missing digits or provide you with a valid product key.

I'm assuming that you didn't have a backup of your Windows 7 installation prior to installing Ubuntu. And that you didn't make a recovery disk for the system (most new systems have a hidden partition that will allow you to return to your original "just of out the box" configuration). It's unusual for you to have to re-enter that product key, it's usually already installed on most systems I've seen. What kind of computer system are you using?

Yea with only an install disk, you're pretty much SOL. Sadly you'll need to get a new copy of Windows 7 with a full Key.. ;)

If it is a HP/DELL/Lenovo, the disks/system restore partition will auto install with a key that has been already authenticated. If you have a random oem disk from any other manufacturer other than the one you are working on you will need that key on the COA.

If the installation DVD was given by the laptop manufacturer then you do not need that key. The DVD s are configured to install and activate windows via SLP. So no worries on that front. See if you have a folder named $oem$ on the DVD. If its there you are good to go.