Car rental in US for 4 - 6 weeks

price shop, look on the internet for coupons. have an entertainment book, sometimes there are coupons in there. budget, enterprise all offer low price car rentals (around $30 a day), some go as low as 10 a day, however you do get what you pay for.

Most american express, Chase, and Discover credit cards include car rental insurance if you have those cards. This will easily eliminate up to $30/day in insurance costs for the rental. So if you have a credit card with the feature decline insurance when you rent. Otherwise you have two choices, liability insurance which will be around $15/day or full coverage for $30/day with a $500 deductible.

i travel for up to six months out of the year and enterprise seems to always be the cheapest. I would also looking into renting a car outside of the airport because the airport will charge you taxes and fees like:

tourist tax

car storage fee

stadium tax (they do this in Phoenix, it's a $10 tax that goes to pay for the stadium they built)

state something tax

federal something tax

police something tax

basically there's about 5 - 8 different taxes and fees you pay at the airport.

Search for Alamo rental car and they usually have coupon codes you can use. They use a 5 character codes i think like AD683

For the kind of money he's going to pay for a rental for that length of time, you might want to have him send you the money to simply buy a cheap used car, and let him drive that when he is there, then resell it for him after he is gone. He'd probably end up saving money in the end.

For the kind of money he's going to pay for a rental for that length of time, you might want to have him send you the money to simply buy a cheap used car, and let him drive that when he is there, then resell it for him after he is gone. He'd probably end up saving money in the end.

non sense

like i said, it will be cheaper to pick up the rental from outside the airport. They have good weekly rates for standard cars around $200 or less and depending on the season/month they might throw in a free weekend or free upgrade. Call local branch offices and tell them you need to rent and what kind of deal they can do for you. A free weekend will save you about $60 and a free upgrade will net you a bigger car for the price of a small car.

• Like 2

Suggestion--

Check into renting a U-Haul Pickup truck -- (they do monthly rentals) may end up paying less in the long run. (not the big trucks)

PickupLarge.png

their trucks are $20/day plus mileage which is more than 60cents/mile and not so great gas mileage.

you can rent a compact car for $20/day without the mileage and way better gas mileage.

Forget cars. You want your friend to see America? Rent a Harley Davidson :)

oh brother :rolleyes:

OP - just have your friend book a car on Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, Dollar, etc. there's a ton of rental car companies. dont bother w/ finding other 'cheap' routes - they'll just cause headaches.

oh brother :rolleyes:

OP - just have your friend book a car on Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, Dollar, etc. there's a ton of rental car companies. dont bother w/ finding other 'cheap' routes - they'll just cause headaches.

+1 and look for deals/coupons/codes online

to avoid up to $50 in taxes/fees i suggest getting picked up from the airport and picking up the rental from a "retail" store if that's the right word.

+1 and look for deals/coupons/codes online

to avoid up to $50 in taxes/fees i suggest getting picked up from the airport and picking up the rental from a "retail" store if that's the right word.

the problem w/ that is convenience. i know that when i travel, i dont want to get off the plane, find public transportation just to get to the rental place and repeat when i return it. imagine having to drop off the car away from the airport, then call and wait for a cab or train to get to the airport? no thanks.

the problem w/ that is convenience. i know that when i travel, i dont want to get off the plane, find public transportation just to get to the rental place and repeat when i return it. imagine having to drop off the car away from the airport, then call and wait for a cab or train to get to the airport? no thanks.

true, i figured he would have friends.

Forget cars. You want your friend to see America? Rent a Harley Davidson :)

That's funny. When I was in GA and looked to have an oil change at a local shop for a Suzuki, one the shops said "We only take care of American bikes". It was a Harley shop. One ignorant statment made is that Harley's are American when only one or two parts are actually made in the US. Most parts are either China or Mexico. Does that make it an American Bike? I dont think so.

their trucks are $20/day plus mileage which is more than 60cents/mile and not so great gas mileage.

you can rent a compact car for $20/day without the mileage and way better gas mileage.

Cheapest rental car from AVIS is 35$ per day plus milage and that is a compact car. 70cents per mile. (North Carolina)

Hertz is 40$ 60-cents per mile - Wrent-A- Wreck is 38$ 50 cents per mile.

Not to mention -- You have to purchase full insurance or have full insurance-

With is also cheaper through Uhaul.

That's funny. When I was in GA and looked to have an oil change at a local shop for a Suzuki, one the shops said "We only take care of American bikes". It was a Harley shop. One ignorant statment made is that Harley's are American when only one or two parts are actually made in the US. Most parts are either China or Mexico. Does that make it an American Bike? I dont think so.

I don't own a motorcycle at all and even if I did it would likely be a stripped down Kawasaki or a vintage military ala Large in Garden State, so I don't say this as a fanboy at all. I don't know where you got your info, but that is factually wrong. I am currently doing consulting work at their York plant and while I don't confess to know where all their parts come from a lot are made on site from raw materials. The fenders, oil tanks, gas tanks, and frame for instance are formed on site from steel plate and tubing. The Steel is sourced from Allentown and Pittsburgh and is mined... well your guess is as good as mine, but the ore certainly isn't coming from Japan. It is the global economy though and they do subcontract some parts, but efforts are made to buy from American and even local area sources Now I am sure that some percentage of those parts do in fact come third hand from foreign sources if you trace it back far enough. I know a few of the electronics come from Taiwan and the high performance brakes on specialty bikes (less than 1% of the line) come from Brembo in Italy I believe. Those are the exceptions though. A lot more than one or two parts are American made, closer to 90% is.

There is also a legal issue. Manufacturers cannot just claim something is "Made in the USA." The FTC has specific criteria for what percentage of the parts must be made and sourced in the USA. Also there is a minimum percentage of assembly and manufacturing requirement.

Harley is actually selling to India now, but to dodge the high tariffs are first assembling, testing and then disassembling the bikes to ship them as parts and have them reassembled there. Your opinion is as good as mine on whether that constitutes "made in the US" at that point.

There are all kinds of criticisms that can be fairly leveled at HD (and many I would agree with), but "not made in the US" is not one of them.

Back to the original point. I would love to take a few weeks and drive cross country in my MGB top down and stay each night at a campground. It is kind of a dream of mine. The attraction of doing the same on a motorcycle and a bedroll is something I understand.

• 3 years later...

I have rented a van for 3 weeks from enterprise back in 2009. Keep in mind that daily rates are usually more expensive than if you book for a week or a month. I remember enterprise's weekly rate was lower than renting a car for 4 days at daily rate.

You can always try and negotiate a bit if you go and talk to local enterprise/hertz store.

Most american express, Chase, and Discover credit cards include car rental insurance if you have those cards. This will easily eliminate up to $30/day in insurance costs for the rental. So if you have a credit card with the feature decline insurance when you rent. Otherwise you have two choices, liability insurance which will be around $15/day or full coverage for $30/day with a $500 deductible.

i travel for up to six months out of the year and enterprise seems to always be the cheapest. I would also looking into renting a car outside of the airport because the airport will charge you taxes and fees like:

tourist tax
car storage fee
stadium tax (they do this in Phoenix, it's a $10 tax that goes to pay for the stadium they built)
state something tax
federal something tax
police something tax

basically there's about 5 - 8 different taxes and fees you pay at the airport.
Search for Alamo rental car and they usually have coupon codes you can use. They use a 5 character codes i think like AD683

I think you are wrong on credit card insurance. You always need liability insurance, either your own or buy from rental company. Credit cards only cover the Collision/damage waiver and is typically available only for non-commercial + non-luxury cars.

My friend is coming over to the US and wants to know the cheapest car rental or something like that for 4-6 weeks. anyone know the cheapest way to do this?

If I were you, I'd avoid the big brands. You should seek a local rental company, situated somewhere on the outskirts of a city where the cost of land is cheap.

The best part is that these guys will be much more flexible when negotiating the price. And you'll help support a family business.

non sense

like i said, it will be cheaper to pick up the rental from outside the airport. They have good weekly rates for standard cars around $200 or less and depending on the season/month they might throw in a free weekend or free upgrade. Call local branch offices and tell them you need to rent and what kind of deal they can do for you. A free weekend will save you about $60 and a free upgrade will net you a bigger car for the price of a small car.

$200 x 6 weeks = 1200 bucks.. you can get a car that runs for $500 and save the rest for fuel and food.