Photo

Virtual machine that runs Mac OS X

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:36

I'm looking for a software (I know VirtualBox doesn't support Mac OS X - only the server) that will be able to run on Windows 7, and supports Mac OS X.

I plan on picking up a copy of Snow Leopard this weekend, and wanted to know if there is any (free or paid) software out there that is able to run it.

#2 TemperingPick

TemperingPick

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:38

VirtualBox will work.

http://www.sysprobs....-apple-intel-pc

#3 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:43

All VM software only support Mac OS X Server out of the box, because Apple doesn't allow for the client version to be virtualized.

There are several workarounds for VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion etc. But you'll always be confronted with those until Apple changes their EULA.

#4 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:52

Last time I checked none of the VMs supported graphics acceleration in OS X so if/when you do get it running, it'll be pretty slow.

#5 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:55

Yeah, we had one running and it was so slow we sprung for a Mac Mini instead.

#6 OP vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 20:56

VirtualBox will work.

http://www.sysprobs....-apple-intel-pc

Interesting..

All VM software only support Mac OS X Server out of the box, because Apple doesn't allow for the client version to be virtualized.

There are several workarounds for VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion etc. But you'll always be confronted with those until Apple changes their EULA.

That makes sense, but it isn't to run as a primary, or a secondary for that matter, operating system. Just for testing / coding.

Last time I checked none of the VMs supported graphics acceleration in OS X so if/when you do get it running, it'll be pretty slow.

I'm not looking for a gaming rig or high performance operating system. I'll gladly use it, if it isn't laggy. I just want a stable, smooth install of Mac OS X Snow Leopard so I can code some things on it and run tests ect.

#7 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

Posted 02 February 2011 - 21:00

I just updated my Hackintosh VirtualBox machine to 10.6.6 yesterday. No speed demon by any means, no virtual machine is, but most definitely usable. I certainly wouldn't use it as my primary OS (not a Mac fan), but for testing in a VM, it works just fine. Just need to make sure it has enough memory to run comfortably without clobbering the host system. I don't do anything remotely gaming related on it, but it's regular desktop UI is very responsive. Running under Win7, gave it 2GB to work with. This is Snow Leopard, the client desktop, not server. (I know, taking the chance that the Apple police won't kick down my door.)

#8 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2011 - 21:08

I'm running 10.6.6 in VMWare Workstation. It needs an iso to boot, but it definitely works well.

#9 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 02 February 2011 - 21:16

That makes sense, but it isn't to run as a primary, or a secondary for that matter, operating system. Just for testing / coding.

The EULA doesn't take that into account.

#10 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 02 February 2011 - 21:23

Got 10.6.6 working fine in VirtualBox. :)

#11 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:17

Not really, its a laggy mess. More reasons I'll never support Apple.

#12 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:35

Has anyone been able to install any programs in OSx in vmware. I been trying to get fcp working but no luck.

Only tried a few myself, but they did run pretty well. (VirtualBox, not VMWare) Haven't tried FCP though, but haven't had a desire to try, got plenty of Winders alternatives that do the job just fine for my needs.

Eh to be fair, it's a virtual machine, it's not going to be as fast as the real thing. Even if you got enough memory to pull it off properly, you're still running two OS's at once. Going to get a performance hit, guaranteed, plus you're running with sub-optimal virtual drivers and the like as well. I used to have it installed with a "proper" Hackintosh setup, performance was actually pretty decent. Toyed with it a couple hours, and pretty quickly fell in hate with it. Relegated it to a VM instead soon after.

#13 LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:19

i did this lastnight to my laptop so i could jailbreak my iphone 4 using greenpois0n and i couldn't get it to jailbreak it. its was strange cause itunes in the virual server saw my phone but green pois0n didn't... should this work?

thanks

#14 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:25

I'm not looking for a gaming rig or high performance operating system. I'll gladly use it, if it isn't laggy. I just want a stable, smooth install of Mac OS X Snow Leopard so I can code some things on it and run tests ect.

It will be laggy. Remember that OS X is a fully graphics accelerated operating system so without that, it has to do it in software on the CPU which is slow. Everything feels laggy including the dock magnification, window moving, window loading, scrolling inside windows.

In-fact if you want to know what it will feel like simply run a VNC server on a normal OS X machine that is pretty close to how a VM of OS X feels (e.g. laggy as **** and completely unusable).

#15 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:29

It's not Apple who should bring OpenGL support to virtualization software.