Advice on frozen pipes

So, I live in Texas and the past 2 days have been at 10 degrees and less throughout the day and night. At this point our pipes have frozen over. I'm wishing and hoping that our pipes don't burst as a couple of friends have burst hours ago. Now comes my question to those that have experienced this, should I turn off the water main that leads into the house or leave it on? I tried to use a blow dryer on the pipes leading in but to no success. The local weather station has predicted the temperature to be below freezing every night this week and the upper 40s during the day? What should I do? Please help

Mike

Get some heat tape from lowes/home depot if the even stock the stuff where you live and try installing it on your main inlet pipe. Other than that, salamanders(without lighting the house on fire :D)

Advice: keep a few water taps running on a real slight stream when the temps are gonna be that low.

Get some heat tape from lowes/home depot if the even stock the stuff where you live and try installing it on your main inlet pipe. Other than that, salamanders(without lighting the house on fire :D)

Advice: keep a few water taps running on a real slight stream when the temps are gonna be that low.

Well, our Lowes does not stock heat tape (just called) as we live in a desert! Fantastic!

leave the taps open a little so they drip

The faucets are slightly open right now...

While leaving them running does help, it isn't a sure thing. When we had a major freeze here early last year, even doing that didn't help. Every pipe we had froze and I had to get out some space heaters and direct them at some of the frozen pipes to get water flowing again. Not only that, but the ice busted some of the seals in our washing machine so we had to replace it (our washing machine is in a small laundry room on our carport outside, and that room isn't well insulated).

Do you have pipes that run outside, or did you lose power? I've had pipes burst in my apartment, but they were in an uninsulated exterior room that got below freezing. In general, pipes shouldn't be run in locations where they will get cold enough to freeze, but I don't know how they do things in Texas. I suppose you don't have the same type of insulation in yoru walls that we have in New England.

You have to warm them up with external heaters, or insulate them. Even keeping the taps open won't keep them warm enough, and any amount of hot water will cause them to burst. Shutting off the water main is unnecessary, but close any pipes coming off the hot water heater, or adjust it so it won't send out hot water. If you know which pipes are frozen (assuming you're not talking about the ones coming directly off your heater), you can close those off and keep the others open.

Do you have pipes that run outside, or did you lose power? I've had pipes burst in my apartment, but they were in an uninsulated exterior room that got below freezing. In general, pipes shouldn't be run in locations where they will get cold enough to freeze, but I don't know how they do things in Texas. I suppose you don't have the same type of insulation in yoru walls that we have in New England.

You have to warm them up with external heaters, or insulate them. Even keeping the taps open won't keep them warm enough, and any amount of hot water will cause them to burst. Shutting off the water main is unnecessary, but close any pipes coming off the hot water heater, or adjust it so it won't send out hot water. If you know which pipes are frozen (assuming you're not talking about the ones coming directly off your heater), you can close those off and keep the others open.

Well its both the pipes have frozen over and we are experiencing rolling blackouts in the afternoon (good thing is there hasn't been school and work!) Currently I have the main water shut off; we have manhole covers in the drive way that have a main shut off valve that provides water to our house. There is a section where the pipes come above ground level (about a foot) and into the house which I'm pretty sure have frozen. Here in this city the last time we experienced this type of freezing temperatures was in the 1800s, I don't think builders took this into consideration as there is little to no insulation on these particular pipes, hoping nothing bursts...