Gmail Notifier Plus 2.3 Roadmap

Haha wow. Just, wow.

If you're unable to grok what it does from the screenshots, and you don't know how to unzip a zip file and run a program on windows, then you probably have no business using the program.

I'd also like to add that I'm not making any money from this, I'm not continuing it's development to improve reputation, gain visibility, or anything of the like. The app is out there for free and available for download, as is the source code. I use it on a daily basis, which is why I'm maintaining it. If you like it, use it. If you can't figure it out, tough peanuts.

Use it or don't - I'm indifferent. I'm not here to serve you, Dr_Asik, and you're entitled to nothing. And that type of post really irritates the crap out of me.

• Like 2

andrew_,

Have you or anyone else seen this before? I am trying this from work, so it "could" have something to do with our proxy, but normally, you would get an error instead of this. I'll check at home too, but thought I'd ask now. This is version 2.2.4050.42628.

post-1544-0-71815100-1299079452.png

@briangw

Please use github's issue reporting system. I won't be doing triage on the forums. Just too painful.

Also, this thread is to discuss the roadmap of features for the app, not troubleshooting. Please do start a new thread, or report the issue on github and i'll help you with it.

@briangw

Please use github's issue reporting system. I won't be doing triage on the forums. Just too painful.

Also, this thread is to discuss the roadmap of features for the app, not troubleshooting. Please do start a new thread, or report the issue on github and i'll help you with it.

Thanks andrew_

I didn't know about github, so I will post that there.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. The current English locale file can be found here; https://github.com/shellscape/Gmail-Notifier-Plus/tree/master/Application/Resources/Locales. I'd prefer if people forked the repo, added a locale file for the language they're adding and then filed a pull request. But I get that GitHub is daunting for new users (it was for me). Or you can download that file, modify it, and send it to me.

Thanks for offering to help.

Hi Andrew.

Congratulations for adopting this great project!

Please find attached my contribution: a translation to Brazilian Portuguese. pt-br.xml

Thank you!

Jo?o Benedito (S?o Paulo, Brazil)

Hey there. Thanks a lot for this wonderful little app, it is very simple yet useful and powerful. Here is my chilean spanish translation for the app, take care.

Rodrigo Navarrete (Providencia - Santiago, Chile)

es-CL.xml

Use it or don't - I'm indifferent.
With the amount of time you spend publicizing your development plans here, somehow I don't believe that. But I see you've still taken my incredibly irritating suggestion to heart and added about a sentence of description to your github page, which is nice. :)

I may be new here but the way you wanted to point out the "lack" of explanation of this project (which is pretty self explanatory by looking at the screens) was pretty rude. This is the internet and the perception of messages may vary and probably you didn't intend to sound that way, but be careful especially when someone gives their time in something for public benefit AND for free.

By the way, is there any way (in the current 2.2.something.something... version) to add my language file? I can see that en-US is in a drop down menu so I guess the xml file can be added somewhere (other than hardcoded that is haha)?

@Mr. Rod & @Aethec - thanks very much for your contributions, I'll make sure those get into the next release.

@Mr. Rod - You might be able to utilize a resource editor for .net assemblies and embed the file. It'll have to be under the same resource namepsace as the english language file though. I'm not entirely sure that 2.2.x.x is using the language files properly though, since I did a lot of work on that for the 2.3 release. Worth a shot if you have the time I suppose.

For folks wanting to write more language files - If you fork on github, create your new language file, push to github and then file a request, I can pull it directly into the project's source tree. The chances of your contributions getting in sooner rather than later go up quite a bit using that method. (I only check the neowin thread periodically throughout the week, and the reply notifications are broken.)

Need a feature:

After changing password on gmail account GNP doesn't react in any way. It just "says" that it is online and there are no new mail

It would be great to see a new build monthly, it's quite stable even for more often releases... By that time had to go back for old boring stuff..

Also, is it possible to make an ability to choose the font of notification counter?

Need a feature:

After changing password on gmail account GNP doesn't react in any way. It just "says" that it is online and there are no new mail

That's not a feature. That's called a bug. It's leftover from the original code. The config dialog is being reworked and it behaves differently, negating that bug.

It would be great to see a new build monthly, it's quite stable even for more often releases... By that time had to go back for old boring stuff..

Also, is it possible to make an ability to choose the font of notification counter?

Regarding the monthly builds; if you'd like monthly builds, feel free to fork the project and build it monthly. Not quite sure what else you're asking for, i think your English got a little whacked on that one.

Regarding the font; sorry, no. Feel free to fork the project and build with the font you'd like to use.

After reading the help files, I still can't figure out how to build the project. It seems to get hung on forking the project. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

A real quick n' dirty method to get you up and running (most of this is on github help):

- you'll need to setup valid OpenSSH keys on github. it uses this for validating you.

- click the 'fork' button on github. that'll setup your fork on the site and a fork repo under your account.

- you'll see a page with instructions on how to clone the forked repo

(i personally prefer GUI Git clients over the command line, so I use SmartGit)

- Open SmartGit, Project menu, Clone..., enter the read+write git:// url from the fork repo page, go through the wizard

* As per the BUILD document, repeat for Shellscape.Lib

You should have all of the files you need to build now. May seem like a lot of steps, but it's really 10 minutes of effort max. You'll also now be able to submit pull requests from your fork to the main project for stuff like bugs, resources (eg. locales), etc.

A real quick n' dirty method to get you up and running (most of this is on github help):

- you'll need to setup valid OpenSSH keys on github. it uses this for validating you.

- click the 'fork' button on github. that'll setup your fork on the site and a fork repo under your account.

- you'll see a page with instructions on how to clone the forked repo

(i personally prefer GUI Git clients over the command line, so I use SmartGit)

- Open SmartGit, Project menu, Clone..., enter the read+write git:// url from the fork repo page, go through the wizard

* As per the BUILD document, repeat for Shellscape.Lib

You should have all of the files you need to build now. May seem like a lot of steps, but it's really 10 minutes of effort max. You'll also now be able to submit pull requests from your fork to the main project for stuff like bugs, resources (eg. locales), etc.

So there are two sets of directions here? I can either use command line, or SmartGit, or do I need to follow every single step?

Please start a new thread somewhere about help with Git. It doesn't sound like you're able to grok it.

I probably shouldn't have replied to the questions about Git on the thread directly; let's keep the thread on topic about the 2.3 release of the application.