(FIX) Windows 7 SP1 not waking from sleep mode

Before I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1, my sleep mode was working fine with no problems. When SP1 was installed I could put the computer into sleep mode, but it wouldn?t wake up. It would also not wake up if the computer went into sleep mode as per the power settings of 20 minutes of non-usage.

I had to play around with the power options and came up with the following that appears to now be working:

Open control panel and go to

Power Options > change plan settings in the preferred plan options > Advanced Power Settings

+Sleep

Allow hybrid Sleep > OFF

Allow wake timers > enable

+USB

USB selective suspend > ENABLE

+Multimedia Settings

+When Sharing media [This is the critical one]

Set to allow the computer to sleep.

Click apply and ok and that should do it.

It worked for me I hope it works for you.

Thanks. I've only put mine to sleep once since I installed SP1 and it failed to recover. I was hoping it was just a fluke, but I've seen a few other people complaining. I will give this a try.

Ok just set up my power plan as guided..... fingers crossed this works, before doing this, I would get full fan speeds only, and no waking up when I tried.

Here goes...

EDIT - I guess the fact I just had to turn the PSU off at the back because the power buttons didn't work and the system fans were at full speed shows this didn't fix it for me

Thanks for posting, have taken note in preparation for SP1 on the 22th. I put my PC to sleep every night so this is quite critical if the same issue happens to me (Y)

Before I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1, my sleep mode was working fine with no problems. When SP1 was installed I could put the computer into sleep mode, but it wouldn�t wake up. It would also not wake up if the computer went into sleep mode as per the power settings of 20 minutes of non-usage.

I had to play around with the power options and came up with the following that appears to now be working:

Open control panel and go to

Power Options > change plan settings in the preferred plan options > Advanced Power Settings

+Sleep

Allow hybrid Sleep > OFF

Allow wake timers > enable

+USB

USB selective suspend > ENABLE

+Multimedia Settings

+When Sharing media [This is the critical one]

Set to allow the computer to sleep.

Click apply and ok and that should do it.

It worked for me I hope it works for you.

@bomberh,

thx for posting the fix.

Weird that you have to disable the hybrid suspend mode.

I also enabled the sharing media option.

Result it worked for me like before SP1.

Just wanted to bump this and mention that I had the same problem, and the suggestion to disable hybrid sleep is what fixed it. As a bonus, the system also goes into sleep MUCH faster.

I never needed hybrid sleep anyway, it was just a default. Thanks for the tip!

This actually happens to me, before SP1 my PC use to be able to go to sleep and return from sleep. After SP1 it may go to sleep but everything is still wuring and the monitors just turn off (you have to hold down the power button to turn it off).

I will try this when I get home, thanks!

My sleep works the same as it did pre-SP1...I hate when the computer wakes up automatically because of scheduled tasks (namely Window Media Center update related). Granted it does go back to sleep when it's done (usually around 4-5 minutes).

• 2 weeks later...

got same issue but the above is not fixing it for me, now considering uninstalling SP1, as the machine in question is a media center operated from an armchair, i'm way too lazy to get up, open a cupboard and push the power button to wake my machine

anyone any other ideas?

It has to be a common factor of hardware

The people whos PCs can not resume from sleep POST SP1 what mainboards / CPUs do you have ?

I have an ASUS M3A32-MVP-Deluxe (AMD Chipset) and a Phenom II 965

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say that for me and many other people, the above mentioned solution did not work.

It turns out that for many users, the problem is actually a compatibility issue between Internet Explorer 9, and Skype versions 5+.

Problem: After installing Windows 7 SP1, entering sleep/hibernate mode causes PC to hang for an extended period, and then bluescreen.

I tried all of the following, and NOTHING worked:

- Installed Win7 Hotfix KB2495523

- Disabled "Allow hybrid sleep" in power options

- Installed newest version of real-tek ethernet driver

- Disabled "Allow Wake Timers" in power options

- Set JavaScript Timer Frequency -> Maximum Power Savings in IE power options

SOLUTION

There are currently 2 solutions:

1. Uninstall Skype v5, and roll back to version 4. (Version 4.2.0.187 confirmed working)

or

2. Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 (Windows Update --> Installed Updates --> IE9, Uninstall)

Skype Bug Report: https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-2796

I think my issue stems from when Windows tries to switch automatically from sleep mode to hibernate mode. My power light is steady/on (it blinks when it's in sleep mode), the fan is running, but whenever I try to do something, it just sits there.

• 1 month later...

Before I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1, my sleep mode was working fine with no problems. When SP1 was installed I could put the computer into sleep mode, but it wouldn?t wake up. It would also not wake up if the computer went into sleep mode as per the power settings of 20 minutes of non-usage.

On my Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050, not only did SP 1 make it impossible to put the computer to sleep, or hibernate, but when it shut off I couldn't get it to wake up. There were not even any indicator lights on the front panel when plugged into the power supply. I finally figured out that if I disconnected the power supply, removed the battery, then re-connected the power supply, I could get it to come back to life. I was so relieved to get the computer to come back to life, that I didn't want to even try to get it to work with SP1 that I simply uninstalled SP 1. I saw no particular benefit, only problems, so I'll live without it until the good people at Microsoft re-issue it without the rather serious bugs. I looked for a solution with Toshiba, but, typically, there was none.