Photo

PC ATI 5770/5870 cards flashed to work with Mac Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#16 bullydog

bullydog

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2011 - 18:32

This is true.. but I think it would work on analog VGA connection to the monitor.. I haven't really tested this.. the card works as advertised though I do keep it in the SLOT 2 PCI-E and I have the flashed 8800GT in Slot 1. I don't think it's a huge problem.. still rocks that you save $140.

Yes.. the problem is that the FAT partition is the last one.

You will have to go beyond this guide and boot from the USB stick. That way you can write the rom you are backing up from your ATI card to it...

The best thing for you would be to go and get the HP USB Format Utility (http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197) and boot your mac with that USB drive. That way you will avoid the boot from the disk and DVD procedure completely. You will need to download a different set of boot files for USB (here: http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=196 )

Once you format the USB and make it bootable, you want to copy the ATIFlash 3.79 files onto it too.

Borrowed an extra HDD that was laying around, and I'm now SET! Have to say, you ROCK dude. Never reflashed a vid card before, and your process is just about as detailed as it could be. I owe you a beer or twelve! Gonna go celebrate now.
Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 11.30.18 AM.png

#17 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:30

Question, what'd you do about the card where it requires power cables plugged into it?

You can buy an additional cable from OWC here: http://eshop.macsale.../Apple/9227128/

Usually your Mac comes with one card.. you will see a power cable coming from the motherboard. There's another empy power connector there too.. So when you buy this new cable, you would plug it into that other jack on the motherboard and connect it to the new card.

ATI 5770 card only requires one cable. So if you want to have 2 cards (like 8800GT and ATI 5770 or 2x 5770) you can use the existing power connectors on the motherboard for that..

If you however want to use a combo like ATI 5870 and ATI 5770.. you will need to use the 2 power connectors from the motherboard to power the 5870 and use the splitter for 6 to 8pin PCI-E power from the DVD drive to power the single power card.

At least that's how it's on my Mac Pro 3.1... Early 2008.. don't know if there are more power connectors on the newer Mac Pros.

#18 MachineShedFred

MachineShedFred

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 09 March 2011 - 14:45

I've been running a flashed 5870 in my Mac Pro for a bit now, but the one problem (other than no EFI video on boot) that I can't shake, is that it's only connecting at x8 speed (2.5GT/sec) rather than the full x16 (5.0GT/sec) that it should be, and the Apple-provided 5870 does. There's something in the ROM that tells the system that it's capable of the PCI-E 2.0 speed, that I don't have.

If you take a look in Apple System Profiler and look at the PCI Cards section, does it list your link speed at 2.5 or 5.0? There's a guy selling flashed cards on eBay that has a working 5.0 ROM, and he's using it as his competitive advantage against other flashed cards. I don't care about that though, I just want the full speed link on mine :blink:

Anyway, if you could post back if your EFI injection does the faster link speed, I'd appreciate it - I'll spin a new ROM for my card this weekend.

#19 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 March 2011 - 21:37

I've been running a flashed 5870 in my Mac Pro for a bit now, but the one problem (other than no EFI video on boot) that I can't shake, is that it's only connecting at x8 speed (2.5GT/sec) rather than the full x16 (5.0GT/sec) that it should be, and the Apple-provided 5870 does. There's something in the ROM that tells the system that it's capable of the PCI-E 2.0 speed, that I don't have.

If you take a look in Apple System Profiler and look at the PCI Cards section, does it list your link speed at 2.5 or 5.0? There's a guy selling flashed cards on eBay that has a working 5.0 ROM, and he's using it as his competitive advantage against other flashed cards. I don't care about that though, I just want the full speed link on mine :blink:

Anyway, if you could post back if your EFI injection does the faster link speed, I'd appreciate it - I'll spin a new ROM for my card this weekend.

i think it's misreading it.. Haven't run test or anything cause I don't game in OSX so it doesn't really matter to me..

but you can check it yourself:
http://netkas.org/?p=115

#20 bitzie

bitzie

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 13 April 2011 - 23:12

I just had to register to give some major thanks to Boz. I was able to patch the rom for my Gigabyte 5870 last night and it works perfectly in my early 08 Mac Pro! Well, other than not being able to adjust the fans at all (they stay at 55% according to GPU-z), but the card is pretty quiet in a Mac Pro case so it's not really a big deal. With mine it says the link width is x16, but the link speed is 2.5GT/s. Honestly though I don't really care. It's not like the few games I play in OSX are sluggish at all with this card.

#21 Bryan Joseph

Bryan Joseph

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:37

Does anyone know if their cards support triple display or just dual display?

#22 proxymus

proxymus

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 June 2011 - 17:39

hey great tutorial,
but what i have to do in part 20) ?

i paste & copy this into the terminal, but this is the awnser from the pc:

mac:~ user$ blocknum=`printf %d "'\`dd if=XFX5770.rom bs=1 skip=2 count=1 2>/dev/null\`"`
mac:~ user$ size=$(($blocknum * 512))
mac:~ user$ dd if=5770_vervet_netkas.efi of=XFX5770.rom bs=$size seek=1 conv=notrunc
dd: bs must be between 1 and -1

what i have to do now ?
thanks!!

#23 jatilford

jatilford

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:16

Hello all, I followed the guide and am reporting success with my 2006 Mac pro 1.1. The card I chose is a HIS 5770.
http://www.hisdigita...duct2-528.shtml

I will post a screen grab of my system profile and an image of my working card in my system later this evening.

Notes: apple doesn't show during start up.

Any info on testing functionality of the modified card would be appreciated.
Jatilford

#24 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:19

5770's run natively after 10.6.6 anyway - My XFX 5770 needs no kexts to run full 1080p on my hackintosh.

It's good to get a cheap upgrade for the existing Mac Pro's though - Good guide!

#25 jatilford

jatilford

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2011 - 23:03

With the bios mod for a 5770' Is it possible to get the hdmi port to send video to a television? I followed the instructions and my card is working with an apple cinema display but will not send video to my television. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jatilford

#26 pipkato

pipkato

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:11

Thanks a lot +Boz for the terrific and detailed flashing tutorial.

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with about single/dual PCIe slot versions of the ATX card.

I’m thinking of having a go at an ATX ATI 5770 for my Mac Pro (now that Final Cut Pro X refuses to even download because I have an older non-OpenCL Radeon HD 2600 card installed).

I’m not a gamer, so my principal interest is in having an OpenCL compatible card in my Mac Pro. Obviously, a relatively powerful card is better, since the GPU will be doing a lot of the grunt work in rendering files. I’m also concerned about space and cooling, since I already have one PCIe slot occupied by a BlackMagic Design ‘Intensity Pro’ card (see http://www.blackmagi...ucts/intensity/).

I’ve had a look at your link to NewEgg, but I’ll be buying from the UK, so my choice is more limited, and usually more expensive. It seems that the more popular and common version is a single PCIe slot version of the XFX ATI 5770, which claims to have more efficient cooling and lower power consumption. It’s usually available as a Dual DVI with mini DisplayPort and sometimes including HDMI.

Do you know if your flashing procedure will work just as well on an ATX single slot version of the 5770?

If so, am I missing something in going for what seems to be a newer and more efficient version? Is there an argument for opting for the dual PCIe slot card?

#27 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:13

flashing a new bios to your gpu is some dangerous stuff IMO. my radeon hd 5770 works fine in osx86 as is.

#28 pipkato

pipkato

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:39

Thanks smooth3006.

But my understanding was that the PC version of the XFX ATI 5770 will not run in a Mac Pro unless the BIOS is flashed - no?

flashing a new bios to your gpu is some dangerous stuff IMO. my radeon hd 5770 works fine in osx86 as is.

#29 Olemus

Olemus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:48

It's not dangerous at all nowadays, it's the same as BIOS flashing on a motherboard really.

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:52

I've flashed a lot of hardware over the years: DVD burners, GPUs etc. nothing ever went wrong.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!