Photo

PC ATI 5770/5870 cards flashed to work with Mac Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#46 joyal

joyal

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 09 January 2013 - 19:23

Hello all. Big thanks to UNSTOPABLE for the post on flashing a XFX card to work in a Mac Pro 1,1. So here's my story:

I have two Mac Pros both 1,1 and about a year ago I used this quide to flash a XFX 5770 to work in MAC Pro A, the quide was PERFECT, it worked like a charm and I continue to have that card working. Last week I obtained another XFX 5770, actually three of them for I thought the first one was dead and I went through the same process as before, everything matched the guide except no video output from any of the ports I tried (2 DVD and the HDMI) so I flashed back the original ROM and tried again, still no luck and I have tried all three cards, which I know work on a pc after I have flashed them back to PC rom.

So after reading that LION sees these cards natively I decided to upgrade MAC Pro B to LION, since I tried both computers to perform the flashing. So now that MAC PRO B has lion I tried the cards, still no luck. Is it the fact that I have altered the Kernel extensions in the flashing is why LION can't use this card? If so, how can I get LION to see one of these cards in native form (Original PC form)? Is there a way to remove the Kernel extensions that were altered during the Flash, so That LION on mac pro B is "Clean"?

Any help would be appreciated..

Stuck with 3 XFX 5770 cards

Thanks

#47 topaz

topaz

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 03 February 2013 - 23:25

Hi guys, again that's to unstoppable for all his work :-)

I have a dell ati 5770 on the way.

Am I correct in thinking that if I upgrade my mac pro 1.1 10.6.8 to 10.75 then install the pc 5700 it will work without flash
But I will have no boot screen, Also DVD player will not work ( is there a fix for that) ?

If I had a 2nd monitor VGA would I see the boot screen?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best
Matt :-)

#48 NexusVirtual

NexusVirtual

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:08

Wow. This is why I am not stupid enough to buy a Mac for any purpose. That guide is ridiculously complicated and time consuming.

This is info on flashing firmware from one computer world into another computer world. You thought that would be easy?
Blame PC! Not Mac!
You prefer WIndows where a crash means you have to format your entire drive, reinstall windows, and reinstall your drivers, and your applications?
On Mac, IF you ever crash, you reboot and you're done!

Hi guys, again that's to unstoppable for all his work :-)

I have a dell ati 5770 on the way.

Am I correct in thinking that if I upgrade my mac pro 1.1 10.6.8 to 10.75 then install the pc 5700 it will work without flash
But I will have no boot screen, Also DVD player will not work ( is there a fix for that) ?

If I had a 2nd monitor VGA would I see the boot screen?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best
Matt :-)

Your DVD player has nothing to do with a graphics card.
If your DVD player does not work, buy a new one.
Flashing a GPU has nothing to do with your DVD player.

If you have a second Graphics card with VGA, for your second monitor, that will work. Not sure what you were trying to say.

#49 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:11

You prefer WIndows where a crash means you have to format your entire drive, reinstall windows, and reinstall your drivers, and your applications?
On Mac, IF you ever crash, you reboot and you're done!

Uhhh... What?

#50 NexusVirtual

NexusVirtual

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:31

Add a zero to that $140, and you're talking about Macs in general and not just a single hardware part in one.

If you are suggesting a Mac is a ripoff, why does US Military Nucular Submarines use Mac and not PC?
Why does the movie industry use Mac for Video Editing and special effects rendering?
Why are Mac the ultimate in graphics and audio editing?
Why are you here?
Trolling for a higher post count?

#51 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:16

Old thread is old.

Closed