Windows 7 x86: 4GB installed but only 3GB is usable (BIOS sees 3GB)

Please read this first post and the entire thread. Alot of people have just repeated the same information over and over and have not read my first post at all. Thanks

Hello

First off, I am aware that 32bit versions of Windows cannot see or use more than 4GB of RAM (something less). I want to start off with that.

I just installed 2 pieces of 2GB DDR2 800 (more on that later) of RAM for a total of 4GB. The first thing I noticed is that the black bootup BIOS screen only detected 3GBs. I fixed this by enabling a Memory Remap feature. Now the BIOS detects 4GB. Next, in Windows 7 x86, I see that it detects my system having 4GB but it comments that only 3GB is usable. I believe the amount should be higher around 3.5GB.

Using the Windows Task Manager, I access the Resource Monitor and see that 1025MB (1GB) is "system reserved". Reading around, I see that this is a BIOS issue and not a Windows issue.

To comment this PC has a ATI x1600 Radeon with 512MB of dedicated memory. It should not share any with the system memory at all. So how can I make that "system reserved" memory, not use that memory or use as least as possible?

Another issue, using CPU-Z I wanted to see the speed of my RAM and it is marking at 400mhz, when they are 800mhz chips. I have them in the dual channel configuration (CPU-Z says the channel is dual and I read the manual myself also) but they are running at 400mhz. Why is this and how can I fix it?

To concude once more: How can I get my Windows 7 32bit system to use all the RAM possible (>3GB but <4GB naturally) in a 32bit OS, taking away this "system reserved" memory AND how can I get my RAM to run at 800mhz?

(As a side note, before this I was running 2 sticks of 1GB (2GB) 667 and I upgraded to this as a performance update in both speed and capacity)

Thank you very much for all your help.

Hello

First off, I am aware that 32bit versions of Windows cannot see or use more than 4GB of RAM (something less). I want to start off with that.

I just installed 2 pieces of 2GB DDR2 800 (more on that later) of RAM for a total of 4GB. The first thing I noticed is that the black bootup BIOS screen only detected 3GBs. I fixed this by enabling a Memory Remap feature. Now the BIOS detects 4GB. Next, in Windows 7 x86, I see that it detects my system having 4GB but it comments that only 3GB is usable. I believe the amount should be higher around 3.5GB.

Using the Windows Task Manager, I access the Resource Monitor and see that 1025MB (1GB) is "system reserved". Reading around, I see that this is a BIOS issue and not a Windows issue.

To comment this PC has a ATI x1600 Radeon with 512MB of dedicated memory. It should not share any with the system memory at all. So how can I make that "system reserved" memory, not use that memory or use as least as possible?

Another issue, using CPU-Z I wanted to see the speed of my RAM and it is marking at 400mhz, when they are 800mhz chips. I have them in the dual channel configuration (CPU-Z says the channel is dual and I read the manual myself also) but they are running at 400mhz. Why is this and how can I fix it?

To concude once more: How can I get my Windows 7 32bit system to use all the RAM possible (>3GB but <4GB naturally) in a 32bit OS, taking away this "system reserved" memory AND how can I get my RAM to run at 800mhz?

(As a side note, before this I was running 2 sticks of 1GB (2GB) 667 and I upgraded to this as a performance update in both speed and capacity)

Thank you very much for all your help.

You have no choice but to include the 512MB from your video card's memory, reported memory includes all locations of ram but will only display what is usable from you ram slots. As far as I know, there is no way around this. If you add the vga card memory yuo are at 3.5 GB, which is the best you are going to get out of x86.

• Like 3

I believe you need a 64-bit CPU, as well as running the 64-bit version of Windows, to fully use 4 gigs of RAM.

Your 800 Mhz RAM must be compatible with your motherboard to run at that speed.

You should look at your motherboard manual, or download it from the motherboard website.

You would need to adjust the memory settings in the BIOS.

Also, you should make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Flash upgrade it, if needed -- find the latest BIOS from the motherboard maker's website.

DDR2 SDRAM have dual channel so it's 400mhz per channel in your case. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

As for utilizing the full 4gb on 32bit, there's a kernel patch if you want to use it. Go here: http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html?lang=EN

Just be sure to read everything to make you you understand what you are doing.

• Like 1

PS: if CPU-Z is reporting the DRAM frequency to be running at 400MHz then it's fine. It's "DDR" double-data rate. 400MHz means that it's running at 800MHz.

• Like 2

No, 32-bit versions can only use up to 3.25GB. But this may vary from 2.8 to 3.25GB depending on the motherboard and chipset. You can do nothing about that but the only option is to use x64

• Like 2

whats the motherboard and chip? If its an amd board I believe there is a patch you need

Not a AMD board.

The total amount of memory usable depends on the BIOS and the chipset I guess. Doesn't always have to be 3.5 GB

OK :)

I believe you need a 64-bit CPU, as well as running the 64-bit version of Windows, to fully use 4 gigs of RAM.

Your 800 Mhz RAM must be compatible with your motherboard to run at that speed.

You should look at your motherboard manual, or download it from the motherboard website.

You would need to adjust the memory settings in the BIOS.

Also, you should make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Flash upgrade it, if needed -- find the latest BIOS from the motherboard maker's website.

I have the latest BIOS for my MB.

DDR2 SDRAM have dual channel so it's 400mhz per channel in your case. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

As for utilizing the full 4gb on 32bit, there's a kernel patch if you want to use it. Go here: http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html?lang=EN

Yeah figured that out now. Sorry about that.

PS: if CPU-Z is reporting the DRAM frequency to be running at 400MHz then it's fine. It's "DDR" double-data rate. 400MHz means that it's running at 800MHz.

Yeah, got that now.

This is just a PAE extension patch. Its pretty useless since only applications which supports PAE will benefit. Messing with the kernel might end up with BSODs

• Like 4

Uhh, no, that's incorrect. Dual channel doubles the bandwidth theoretically, since you're reading/writing half the data to each stick of memory. This has nothing to do with the frequency. DDR2-800 operates at 400MHz because 800MHz is the "equivalent" frequency compared to old school SD RAM, whereas SD RAM processes data at the beginning of each clock cycle, DDR processes data at the beginning and end of each clock cycle, effectively doubling its frequency. This is why DDR2-800 operates at 400MHz.

Not trying to be rude but why do you still use 32 bit? 64 is much stable now and drivers are available as it is for 32 bit these days. you could have avoided all these issue.

Edit: for your actual question. its not possible. thats the limitation in 32 bit.

This is just a PAE extension patch. Its pretty useless since only applications which supports PAE will benefit. Messing with the kernel might end up with BSODs

False about being useless. PAE unaware applicatoins will only be able to use up to 2GB each, but you will still be able to use all 4GB of your RAM, such as 4 PAE unaware applications all using 1GB of RAM.

Is that safe? :unsure: Ive read that as being a hoax or/and not doing anything...

I can tell you that it works for me ;) I'm using win7 32bit on this laptop and patched to use 4gb of ram. I've never run into an application that failed to work.

4ut6zb.jpg

6hmd0j.jpg

There's another version by a Russian programmer that is better, though I don't know where it now. I'll find it later.

Not trying to be rude but why do you still use 32 bit? 64 is much stable now and drivers are available as it is for 32 bit these days. you could have avoided all these issue

Between certain things and having 2 program files folders (which just irritates me), I perfer staying on 32 bit until Microsoft decides to release a 64 bit only home operating system.

Its a personal preference and opinion :)

Fascinating ..... But,

"Two of the major virus scanners (F-Prot and McAfee) see this file as a Trojan." [grammar corrected]

And so does AVG :shiftyninja:

Fascinating ..... But,

"Two of the major virus scanners (F-Prot and McAfee) see this file as a Trojan." [grammar corrected]

False positive? I'm running MSE (which has way better detection imho) and it's a ok here.

Between certain things and having 2 program files folders (which just irritates me), I perfer staying on 32 bit until Microsoft decides to release a 64 bit only home operating system.

Its a personal preference and opinion :)

but 64bit is faster then 32bit and omg just cause there is 2 folders so freaking What get over it, all 32bit software work under 64bit just fine and when ay run a 64bit program it will be better then the 32bit version games included . you will notice a performance increase on 64bit over 32bit there is no reason not to run 64bit now days unless your on a 32bit only so just get 64bit and install it because wasting time to patch and or find away to use much of your ram as possible is stupid , if you want 4gbs then go 64bit if not you wasted money on useless ram that is just sitting there

but 64bit is faster then 32bit and omg just cause there is 2 folders so freaking What get over it, all 32bit software work under 64bit just fine and when ay run a 64bit program it will be better then the 32bit version games included . you will notice a performance increase on 64bit over 32bit there is no reason not to run 64bit now days unless your on a 32bit only so just get 64bit and install it because wasting time to patch and or find away to use much of your ram as possible is stupid , if you want 4gbs then go 64bit if not you wasted money on useless ram that is just sitting there

Its a personal perference and opinion :) Respect it please :)

Id apply this patch but........I dont know......Im not too comfy with it touching the kernel....

Ill try it on one of my PCs (which also has 4GB) and if all goes well, Ill put it on the main one.

Whats the link to the patch? (as someone commented there are 2 versions)

Its probably a faulty memory stick or slot. Try taking one out and see if it still shows 3GB in the BIOS and then just keep swapping them about until you find out which one is causing if its the RAM. Most likely its just a faulty one.

Fascinating ..... But,

Ive seen this patch before, never tried it, but Im guessing AVs will see that it makes changes to the Kernel, well, that is, makes a copy of, and then makes changes to that one, but the coding will be the same as if it were going to modify the original

Its probably a faulty memory stick or slot. Try taking one out and see if it still shows 3GB in the BIOS and then just keep swapping them about until you find out which one is causing if its the RAM. Most likely its just a faulty one.

You didnt read the thread, did you.......

just install 64bit...

since it can hold 4gb of ram, I think it also would run 64bit(my 4year old desktop which has a max of 2gb of ram can even run 64bit...)