Photo

any pad that has ethernet port?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 noctis

noctis

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:03

are there any pad (i know ipad doesnt) that has ether port?

#2 Brandon

Brandon

Neowin RUNNER

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:09

Nope. Not unless it is a tablet PC. WiFi routers are pretty cheap now-a-days. You can pick up a 802.11g for under $30

#3 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:17

i think the point of a tablet is not to be tied down to a desk beside an outlet. get a laptop or desktop if you need a "computer" computer

#4 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:20

are there any pad (i know ipad doesnt) that has ether port?

lol...that's kinda against the whole idea of what a tablet is for....

#5 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:34

I'm having a bit of trouble imagining why you would need an ethernet port. If you have some sort of accessory or printer that needs to use an ethernet jack then you could look at a wireless bridge device. I use one here to wirelessly connect my top floor with my basement.

#6 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:38

That's kinda funny. I just pictured myself in the garden using an iPad with a huge network cable connected to it. >_>

#7 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:43

That's kinda funny. I just pictured myself in the garden using an iPad with a huge network cable connected to it. >_>

Well, you might also need to picture yourself carrying an ethernet bridge and a long extension cord for its AC adapter as well.

#8 xn--bya

xn--bya

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:44

HP TouchSmarts do, although they are more like laptops.

#9 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 March 2011 - 19:02

Some of the cheap chinese clone Android tablets come with ethernet ports. Love all the replies here, he didnt ask for your opinions on wether he should use ethernet or not, if he wants to tether himself to ethernet then let him do it.

#10 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 March 2011 - 19:20

Some of the cheap chinese clone Android tablets come with ethernet ports. Love all the replies here, he didnt ask for your opinions on wether he should use ethernet or not, if he wants to tether himself to ethernet then let him do it.

Well this is a discussion forum :p

#11 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:37

+1 for tablet PC... but seriously, why? :p

#12 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:40

Maybe he doesn't want to get bogged down with wireless. I know my wireless used to get bogged down by my brother downloading the entire Internet via the wireless, but since I made a few changes to my network setup, I don't have that problem anymore :D

#13 Unix2

Unix2

Without Unix, there is not OS X.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:08

Or perhaps he wants a more faster speed connection, ethernet connection are usually faster than wifi.

#14 d4diesel

d4diesel

Neowinian

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:31

a more likely reply would be that he might want to use it while travelling. a lot of hotel have ethernet port for internet but no wireless. Also, some offices only allow wired network devices in order ot make their office network secure from wireless intrusions in the vicinity.

#15 Crimson Mask

Crimson Mask

Neowinian

Posted 14 October 2011 - 22:29

I know this is an old topic, however I found it in a Google Search while searching for a Tablet with Ethernet Port and wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the Cheap Chinese Android Tablets, will do a search and see if I can find a reliable one.

The reason I want the Ethernet connectivity, is that with work I connect to Set Top Boxes and Satellite Boxes via an Ethernet Port to do Maintenance/Set-Up on them and carrying around a Tablet rather than a Laptop/Netbook would be far more easier (plus the longer battery time is a bonus for a 8-12 hour work day, which on Laptop/Netbook is weighty if you get a bigger pack).

There are probably heaps of Techs doing field work that would like an Ethernet Port as it would be handy for similar reasons.

Big Thanks again for the info.