The Fish Dies in the End for iPhone - Out NOW!

TheFishDiesintheEndBG.png

The Fish Dies in the End is an iOS game developed with cocos2d featuring a cute little fish trying to survive as long as possible against all odds. The game is OUT now on the App Store. Check it out!

The Fish Dies in the End 1.1 - The Fish Strikes Back has just been released and it would be great for me if you guys could give it a try. I'm always willing to talk about the game so please let me know if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

The new update has been made with the players' suggestions in mind and adds many improvements to the game, including better placement of enemies and obstacles, more dynamic backgrounds, tutorial screens, better performance, and more. Most notably, there are three new power-ups that should provide more variety and entertainment to the players (and some much-needed help, of course!). If you played the game before, consider taking a look at the new version and if you haven't, why don't you try it now?

You can visit our website: http://www.thefishdies.com for more info.

There's also a Twitter profile (@thefishdies) and Facebook page. So please follow/like us if interested!

Features:

• Escape from several unique obstacles and enemies - beware of sharks!
  • Control the fish with only one touch. Anyone can play!
  • Several different power-ups to help you achieve your goal!
  • Experience a different game every time you play with randomly generated enemies!
  • Compare your scores against your friends on the Leaderboards and try to complete several Achievements with Game Center integration.
  • Share your scores with Facebook and Twitter connectivity!
  • Multiple difficulty levels.
  • Retina support.
  • Best way to kill time! (And a fish...)

Trailer:

Screenshots (click to enlarge):

Frame-02_Smaller.png

Frame-03_Smaller.png

Frame-04_Smaller.png

Frame-05_Smaller.png

I would love to hear the feedback from you guys! Please tell me if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks everyone!

Hey XerXis, a shame you don't think it's original enough :( . I hope you change your mind once the game is released and give it a try! Thanks for your comment, anyway.

Hey XerXis, a shame you don't think it's original enough :( . I hope you change your mind once the game is released and give it a try! Thanks for your comment, anyway.

oh I might, and it looks good, i have no negative comments on that. It's just that I grew kind of tired of that gameplay already when I played those games in the past.

@imachip: Thanks a lot! The controls are really simple but the game can become surprinsingly challenging :p.

@XerXis: I understand you, glad you like the visuals ;).

@Unix2: Well, many iOS games are flash ports, aren't they? ;). It's actually kinda interesting that you say this because when I first designed this game I was thinking of making it on Flash, but then just some weeks later I bought my first iPhone and changed my mind. I'm sure now that I made the right decision, since the controls are MUCH better suited to a touch screen than a mouse. You can believe me when I say that because during development I played the game hundreds (thousands?) of times on the simulator using the mouse and it isn't nearly as fun as playing on the actual device!

By the way, I'll have some cool news really soon, just wait a little bit more now! :)

Thanks a lot, Teebor. The game might have a twist ending, you never know! (Actually no, it doesn't. The fish dies anyway, it's a pretty sad tale :( )

• Like 1

You may want to reconsider the name of the game.

The graphics look like it belongs to a children's game, but the title of the game suggests otherwise.

Just a thought.

Hey DukeEsquire, thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. The name was designed to be simply a funny name meant to draw attention to the game. From what I'm seeing so far, most people seem to realize that this is the case and end up liking the title. Unfortunately, there are also some people that see it as a scary name or something like that, which is probably my fault, really. Maybe I should have made it clear somehow that the title of the game is just meant to be seen as a joke (even though it's true!). My hope is that anyone who sees the screenshots will realize that this is a very cool game meant for everyone ;).

@hondaa: Retina display is the name given to the screen of the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G. These screens have a resolution of 960x480 with a pixel density 2x bigger than the screens of previous iPhones (326 ppi X 163 ppi). Retina support means that the game is optimized for this screen and will take full advantage of the Retina display when played on a device that supports it. The game will also run on older devices that doenot support Retina display :). I don't have any plans for Android at the moment, but I think that it would be really nice to have an Android version. If the game sells well, it could happen. Thanks for your comment.

@hondaa: Retina display is the name given to the screen of the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G. These screens have a resolution of 960x480 with a pixel density 2x bigger than the screens of previous iPhones (326 ppi X 163 ppi). Retina support means that the game is optimized for this screen and will take full advantage of the Retina display when played on a device that supports it. The game will also run on older devices that doenot support Retina display :). I don't have any plans for Android at the moment, but I think that it would be really nice to have an Android version. If the game sells well, it could happen. Thanks for your comment.

I know what a Retina Display is even though it is a gimmick market term. I think rather than "Retina support" as a key feature, you should highlight it instead as "Optimized for the iPhone 4". Makes you look alot more inteligent; "Retina support" looks like you bought in to Apple's marketing terms.

And I believe Android is a better market as of right now than iOS. On alot more devices than iOS is on.

Good look with your app

I see, sorry for implying that you didn't know what Retina display was ;). "Retina support" is the term that is commonly used to refer to optimized iPhone 4 games and that's why I'm using it. Android is surely a very exciting market nowadays. Thanks for wishing good luck!

That kind of success would make me a VERY happy man indeed :). Thanks a lot!

I like the concept, it's a very simple concept, and I've seen it on some other games I've played in the past. However, I don't think

I've seen a game like this on iPhone yet (mainly because I don't really download and play games, like this genre). It's certainly polished

to an extent, and I like the graphics being suitable for children, I think it could be a hit or a miss (sorry, if I offend you :()

I think the concept needs to be developed more, even if it's simple and looks nice doesn't mean it'll be a good game. One primary example is

this: Bulba The Cat, I loved the game, and thought the concept was quite nice, and the application was polished to it's bone. However, it didn't

do as well as Tiny Wings etc., but I thought it had the potential to.

Anyhow! I'm not a downer, I hope you succeed!

I know what a Retina Display is even though it is a gimmick market term. I think rather than "Retina support" as a key feature, you should highlight it instead as "Optimized for the iPhone 4". Makes you look alot more inteligent; "Retina support" looks like you bought in to Apple's marketing terms.

And I believe Android is a better market as of right now than iOS. On alot more devices than iOS is on.

Good look with your app

I just read your comment, and have to say that you're not really experience in the market to make the judgement that 'Android' is a better market than iOS. Angry Birds wouldn't even of existed on the Android, if they didn't strike gold on the iOS app store. I hardly doubt they would've just made it on Android, it iOS was to of never exist, we would never know. Most of Androids succeeding applications are derived from the iOS app store, and I strongly mean MOST. This is because iOS has a nice fan base already and a well built support for developers to make or break their debut app, if it succeeds then porting it to other devices would generate more money, where they might loose money for building for other devices and having a tough fan base to work with. It's the pioneer of any appstore/market right now.

Also, Retina display isn't a gimmick market term, it's a market team. Optimised for the iPhone 4 can lead confusing because it could mean it only runs on the iPhone whereas, Retina display support, means it's ability of adapting to the iPhone 4. Why should he be brought to Apple marketing terms, when he's clearly developed an app for an Apple product?

I just can't grasp your comment....

I like the concept, it's a very simple concept, and I've seen it on some other games I've played in the past. However, I don't think

I've seen a game like this on iPhone yet (mainly because I don't really download and play games, like this genre). It's certainly polished

to an extent, and I like the graphics being suitable for children, I think it could be a hit or a miss (sorry, if I offend you :()

I think the concept needs to be developed more, even if it's simple and looks nice doesn't mean it'll be a good game. One primary example is

this: Bulba The Cat, I loved the game, and thought the concept was quite nice, and the application was polished to it's bone. However, it didn't

do as well as Tiny Wings etc., but I thought it had the potential to.

Anyhow! I'm not a downer, I hope you succeed!

You're not offending me in the slightest! What you say is 100% true. I think that with so many apps on the App Store nowadays, unless you have a huge marketing budget (my marketing budget: $0), you're making a gamble that could be a hit or miss. I tried to make the most polished and best game I could with the resources I had and I'm very satisfied with the result, now I just have to know if the customers will feel the same :). I have no dreams of becoming a gazillionaire with this game (I wouldn't complain if I did, though).

What I'm doing is basically trying to make contact with all kinds of people and talking in the forums, when I go to a forum like neowin.net I try to show to people that I love games just like they do and that I'm just a regular guy fulfilling a dream of developing and releasing a game. For me, The Fish Dies in the End is already a success, even if it sells 0 copies after release (I do hope that it will sell more than that!)

I'd also like to use this post to say that you guys are awesome! Really, it's fantastic to see so much high-quality discussion about the game, with praises and also constructive criticism. That's exactly what I want to see whenever I talk about my game anywhere and it's very valuable to me, so thank you everyone :D.

You're not offending me in the slightest! What you say is 100% true. I think that with so many apps on the App Store nowadays, unless you have a huge marketing budget (my marketing budget: $0), you're making a gamble that could be a hit or miss. I tried to make the most polished and best game I could with the resources I had and I'm very satisfied with the result, now I just have to know if the customers will feel the same :). I have no dreams of becoming a gazillionaire with this game (I wouldn't complain if I did, though).

What I'm doing is basically trying to make contact with all kinds of people and talking in the forums, when I go to a forum like neowin.net I try to show to people that I love games just like they do and that I'm just a regular guy fulfilling a dream of developing and releasing a game. For me, The Fish Dies in the End is already a success, even if it sells 0 copies after release (I do hope that it will sell more than that!)

I'd also like to use this post to say that you guys are awesome! Really, it's fantastic to see so much high-quality discussion about the game, with praises and also constructive criticism. That's exactly what I want to see whenever I talk about my game anywhere and it's very valuable to me, so thank you everyone :D.

At least as a developer you are sane! :) Again, lots of wishes for your every success!