Whats better? Norton AV or McAfee AV

90 members have voted

1. 1. Whats better? Norton AV or McAfee AV

• Norton AV 2002
    • McAfee 6.0
    • neither cuz free AV's are better :)

linsook,

that attitude was acceptable 2years ago, but now its just a bit shocking.

given the delivery methods for viruses of late, the number of exploits they make use of to gain privilige escallation or to trick you into running them, I think you're stupid.

"any user who cosiders themself good at comps" as you say, would also turn their nose up and laugh at you for saying the solution to a problem is to reformat the entire system!!!!!!

Thats the idiots 'I cant find the problem' solution, its what you expect from ?3.50 per hour 16 year old IT support staff.

There are so many computer users in the world, there are bound to be a few who can safely sit connected for infinity and not recieve a virus, whether they practice safe hex or not.

Go read alt.comp.anti-virus and alt.comp.virus for a few weeks, then come back with the same attitude. Unless you run linux, sooner or later, a virus is gonna trick you.

Please dont try to spread the opinion that 'normal users' dont need AV.

Thats b*llocks.

To me NAV is much better than norton. The reason being, I had mcafee installed with all the updates, didnt think I had a problem, my system started showing signs of slowness etc... Just out of curosity (sp) I installed NAV to run side by side with MAV NAV found not just 1, but 2 viruses that MAV couldnt find (with the latest defs). Needless to say, I switched over to NAV completely.

To those who say the do not run AV programs, No mattrer how careful you are, you are still vunerable to viruses, especially if you 1) share files 2) connect to the internet 3) Boot your computer.

You can get viruses from just viewing a webpage (that was one NAV found, don't ask, it was a pain to remove). Something in the coding, think is was a javascript thing, cant remember.

Also another good AV program is AVG http://www.grisoft.com . This AV program is free, but you can also purchase the Pro version. The only complaint I have with AVG are the updates, their servers are slow as molasses, but they update daily.

I download many files that people would call dodgy, eg warez and many, many films from binary newsgroups. I used to use Mcafee until my system started going quite unstable and then I decided to download the full edition of NAV that scanned and removed viruses that Mcafee didn't even detect.

Since I have had no problems and have downloaded dozens of games and films in the last fortnight without problems - long live NAV (ps I scanned my system every week with Mcafee but it missed the virus! B4 u ask I cant remember the name of the virus as i'm @ work).

Originally posted by Jon  

linsook,

that attitude was acceptable 2years ago, but now its just a bit shocking.

given the delivery methods for viruses of late, the number of exploits they make use of to gain privilige escallation or to trick you into running them, I think you're stupid.

"any user who cosiders themself good at comps" as you say, would also turn their nose up and laugh at you for saying the solution to a problem is to reformat the entire system!!!!!!

Thats the idiots 'I cant find the problem' solution, its what you expect from ?3.50 per hour 16 year old IT  support staff.

There are so many computer users in the world, there are bound to be a few who can safely sit connected for infinity and not recieve a virus, whether they practice safe hex or not.

Go read alt.comp.anti-virus and alt.comp.virus for a few weeks, then come back with the same attitude. Unless you run linux, sooner or later, a virus is gonna trick you.  

Please dont try to spread the opinion that 'normal users' dont need AV.  

Thats b*llocks. >

i guess you didn't read my post properly....

this is my attitutde and has been for a while, i haven't gotten a virus, and please tell me a delivery method that would trick me. i'd be glad to listen. also, again, u should read my post, i said for the avg user an av is good. and if you think formating isn't the good idea... tell me whats wrong with the it. and again, it was IMO, but i'll still be glad to hear your response

McAfee, is a resource HOG, and is SLOW as donkey slime...

On my traineeship we worked on a network with McAfee installed.

Network communication dropped from 999kb/s to 600kb/s response time sky rocketted to minutes instead of seconds...

25% CPU Load when compiling files, typing in database ... SQL activity etc..

Eventually I begged if I could uninstall my copy... so I could get on with my work.

With NAV2002 you can just run windowsupdate anytime no special trick needed...

How about that funny Javascript bug that you got from just visiting a web page with Internet explorer ... oh, oh, wait, and how about that bug in outlook that will attack you if you try to do anything with the e-mail it came in. Well, basically you can see that the methods of virus transmission are getting pretty advanced/weird.

sounds interesting YahoKa, but i don't go on random sites i dunno...... i think my services scans my mail before they give it to me.

but yea, this is still my attitude and im not gonna change that...

Pay for Norts?, since when? I have never paid for a subscription. You get a years of time with Retail, if it runs out then after a year then format and reload. You cant just uninstall it as it has eg enteries. Of course if your brave enought to run amuck in the tegistry then you can editit out. But then again there are updateing services that let ya know when there updates. You can get the difinition there or.......... use the symantec ftp site and dl and install manually.............:alien:

This is pretty lame. Pick which one of the worst two AV programs

out thier and state which is best ..............ROFLOL. Both these

programs are poor. Many better choices are available today,

although you'll be unable to purchase them at KMart or Wally world. :right:

Tikimotel,

I work with corporate AV, and can tell you with 100% confidence, a well configured network using McAfee 4.5.1sp1 and ePO2.5 will not be percieved as a 'resouce hogging AV client'.

Begging to have it removed on your machine underminded the entire corporate security. We dont give our users that choice. Its there, and they cant touch it. Even if they tried, there is no possible way for an average power user to remove it short of using a boot disk.

Tmf2 is right. If you want a really good AV client with a good scanning engine, and well written dats, you need to look else where.

Go read alt.comp.anti-virus

Norton AntiVirus 2002 uses less sytem resources than McAfee 6.02. Period. But who can say (with proof to back it up) that one virus scanner is better than the other? If anyone has any facts to back up which is the best virus scanner, then please post the information here.

To use or not use a virus scanner is your choice. Be advised however that you can get a virus:

-even if it's not an .exe

-even if you don't open any attatchments

-even if you know who sent it to you (probably someone who also thought they didn't need a scanner)

-even if you don't use IE or OE

Be warned.

MAV slows down the system and this is very noticeable!

NAV doesn't

Point to NAV!

MAV SOMETIMES catchs virus that NAV don't and

VISCEVERSA

Tie here!

I use both but not any resident, just when I need to scan new files (on some friend hd, cd, zip, floppy, etc.). Also I never open e-mail of unknown origin. On OE use right click, Properties, Details tab, Source button on suspicious mail and if it's some spam even use Spam Punisher to punish that...

I also have a third HD with the free InnoculateIt PE and at some time it even detected virus that MAV nor NAV were able and neither it slow down my system.

Never caught any virus and I do a lot of surfing even on dangerous sites, I was only cautious so be careful also.

Regards

PD: there's a prog. that enables forever updates on NAV

Norton SystemWorks 2002 is the bomb! I've been 100% satisfied with Norton's products, but I did have a problem witn the 2002 version since the ISO was corrupted! I used Norton sicne December 2000 on my system and it is the best utility suite out there! Add Personal Firewall and you have the ultimate in computer protection! ;)

I have used both for years, I started using Mcafee when it first came out and years after. Now I am using NAV because if is a better program. But as far as which one is better at catching viruses..? Well, both have their advantages over the other. I personally use NAV and Anti-Vir. I use the NAV Guard to run in realtime, and use both of them to run full system scans (Ocasionally). Never hurts to run multiple VS'ers when performing maintanance.

And for the people who don't use them, well that is your decision. If you are isolated from the Real-World, or don't use the Internet then sure you have a point. But if you are accessing anything that is public, you are setting yourself up. Kinda like having sex with a prositute without protection, but saying she doesn't look contagious.