Microsoft could lose billions in sales to Chromebook

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 17:44

If it was $20 sure i'd buy one. But I just looked at how much it was going to cost and laughed out loud.

#17 Flawed

Flawed

Neowinian

• 1,142 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 17:45

If it was $20 sure i'd buy one. But I just looked at how much it was going to cost and laughed out loud.

You can pay $20 a month for one.

#18 +Heartripper

Heartripper

Neowinian

• 1,142 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 12 May 2011 - 17:48

avg people doesn't buy linux pc's because they don't have windows. I guess they'll do the same with chromebooks.

#19 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 17:57

Microsoft could also lose billions to my Crapbook offering. It's only $279 a year and offers advanced text manipulation features.

#20 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,766 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 20:31

If you can run your apps in a browser, you can run them on ChromeOS.

yeah, and when all your legacy apps are DOS based? or terminal based? or are windows based? like the majority of them are.... web apps are small in comparison to the number of applicators out there that require a desktop

#21 zombieChan

zombieChan

Zombie User

• 209 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 20:37

If you can run your apps in a browser, you can run them on ChromeOS.

What if your web app doesn't work well in the chrome browser, maybe it only works well with IE.

What if your app isn't a web app and requires windows..(not every application people use is a web app, lots of companies need to be able to run these non web apps)

#22 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 20:41

It ain't gonna happen. Ever.
Reasons already given by serious people above.

#23 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,519 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 21:12

Edit: Then again, seeing who the OP is, it doesn't surprise me that this FUD is being posted.

+1

#24 OP alexalex

alexalex

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:55

While IT pros scoff, Google Chromebooks will likely seduce businesses

Google’s Chromebook for Business program could entice a lot of organizations to consider ditching Windows for Chrome OS. Learn why and see how it could save big money.

Most of the IT professionals I know scoff or snicker when I bring up the topic of Google Chrome OS. But, just as IT pros used to roundly dismiss the idea of cloud computing — and many of them are now climbing over each other to tout their cloud and virtualization expertise — it might not be long before IT also warms up to Chrome OS, out of necessity...

Google claims that by deploying Chromebooks instead of traditional PCs, companies can reduce the total cost of ownership for business computers by 70%. That’s a whopping number and we’re still trying to figure out where Google came up with that amount, but most of it is based on eliminating PC management tasks — security, software patches, anti-malware, and OS and software deployment...

A number of companies have already publicly admitted that their IT departments are running major trials of Chromebooks, including the City of Orlando, Logitech, Jason’s Deli, American Airlines, Ruby Tuesday, National Geographic, and others.

In an official statement, Jason’s Deli said, “The Google Chrome notebooks are almost effortless to manage. Staging, imaging, updating, and repairing software problems are almost non-existent issues at this point. Replacement is as simple as handing out a new device with no IT involvement necessary.”

Based on the early returns, Google said companies can switch 75% of their users to Chromebooks.

“We think this can fundamentally change the way people manage computers in business,” said Pichai....

A lot of IT professionals will still laugh at the idea of Google’s Chrome OS, since most of them would never want to use such a limited system and can name plenty of business users who could never be converted to a cloud machine — graphics designers, accountants, architects, etc. However, all of those could safely fit into the 25% of users who Google says aren’t candidates for Chromebooks (versus the 75% who are)....

http://www.techrepub...310?tag=nl.e101

It is quite funny to read the comments regarding Chromebooks (and in the past regarding the failing iPhone, iPad) from Windows (7) users who on one side shout KILL The 10 years old XP and on the other cling to a 30 years old PC concept when the future is cloud (Microsoft just now updated their Web Office) , Tablets, and web PCs.

#25 DrunkenBeard

DrunkenBeard

Drunk.

• 1,549 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:04

Why would anyone rent a browser ? RENT ... BROWSER ... What exactly are the benefits over installing Chrome (or any other HTML5 compliant browser for that matter) on existing machines ?

#26 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

• 22,208 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:16

but they probably wont.

#27 OP alexalex

alexalex

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:21

Why would anyone rent a browser ? RENT ... BROWSER ... What exactly are the benefits over installing Chrome (or any other HTML5 compliant browser for that matter) on existing machines ?

You haven't read the articles.

“The Google Chrome notebooks are almost effortless to manage. Staging, imaging, updating, and repairing software problems are almost non-existent issues at this point. Replacement is as simple as handing out a new device with no IT involvement necessary.”

#28 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

• 2,220 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:25

I have a feeling that the chromebooks are going to have the same fallout that netbooks first had when they were released. People are going to see a pricetag rather than features and they are going to buy it, take it home for a few minutes and return it because it does not have whatever feature they were expecting or even a CDrom drive.

I'm with you on this. From time to time customers come to my shop with their netbooks asking what can be done to improve their performance and I then tell them the main differences with a normal notebook/laptop and besides upgrading the RAM and making sure Windows is running as expected without any unnecessary stuff, nothing more can be done.

People will get attracted by price tags with no regard of what their really needs are.

#29 Samurizer

Samurizer

Neowinian

• 800 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:33

You haven't read the articles.

“The Google Chrome notebooks are almost effortless to manage. Staging, imaging, updating, and repairing software problems are almost non-existent issues at this point. Replacement is as simple as handing out a new device with no IT involvement necessary.”

Staging, imaging, updating, and repairing software problems are almost non-existent issues at this point as well for normal laptops, assuming the networks and machines are managed by competent sysadmins. I don't see how that would be worth the humongous productivity loss by only being able to run web apps.

#30 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:42

Well the future are tablets, they will the one that replace your desktop and laptop. I am not talking now, but you will see in a few more years. Everything of most of the thing will be cloud based and this will make easier to even work with your smartphone.

:laugh:
Tablets are the future...good one. I thought you were serious for a moment there.