Sony has released a companion app for the PlayStation 4, called the PlayStation App, which lets the users interact with their console, PlayStation Network and the PlayStation Store from their smartphones or tablet.
The app which is available for Android and iOS users has the following features with more coming in the future:
- Direct access to various PSN(SM) features and information
- Ability to browse the official PlayStation® website and access information
- PS4 Second Screen Feature
- Spectate other PS4 users' gameplay
- Ability to Purchase game content on PlayStation®Store
- Use the mobile device as a simple remote to control the PS4 system
Microsoft released a similar app for Xbox 360 last year for all Android, iOS and Windows based devices, called the Xbox SmartGlass which was well-received by Xbox users.
The free app is available for PS4 users with a PSN account using iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone or Android based smartphones and tablets. The launch of the app comes just as North Americans prepare for the launch of the PS4 console on November 15th. It is available to download on the iTunes and Google Play stores and will be rolled out to European markets on November 22nd coinciding with the respective PS4 launch.