Sony will release a new 13.3" e-ink tablet aimed at the professional market. While more and more people have gravitated towards a full color tablet due to its overall capabilities, Sony believes that there is still a segment that wants an alternative solution. Digital Paper is that solution with an improved approach to using e-ink on a tablet; Sony's Digital Paper is a tablet that allows users to read, write, and share their creations electronically.
The large 13.3" display with a resolution of 1200x1600 allows documents to be presented in their natural form. By utilizing the large space, documents can be viewed natively (8.5" x 11") on the tablet without the need to zoom. The Digital Paper also has a touch-enabled surface that allows for easy menu selection or can be used to simply turn the page. Lastly, the included stylus can be used to write, erase, and highlight just like a standard paper document.
The unit has 4GB's of onboard storage with expandability via microSD. Sony is betting big that the professional segment will find Digital Paper as a useful tool and is targeting legal, higher education, governmental agencies and corporate boardrooms.
The Digital Paper specifications:
- World’s thinnest, lightest body among devices with comparable screen sizes (approximately 9/32” and 12.6 oz.); slightly thicker than 30 sheets of paper
- 13.3 inch (screen size measured diagonally) electronic paper display
- High contrast display (1200 x 1600 dots), 16-level grayscale, incorporating “E Ink Mobius” technology from E Ink Corporation
- No backlight enables text to be read clearly, even in bright sunlight
- Built-in Wi-Fi functionality allows file sharing over a wireless network
- Rechargeable thin lithium-ion battery – up to 3 weeks use on a single charge
- AC adapter or USB rechargeable (computer-based charging)
- Storage – approximately 2,800 PDF files; internal memory of 4 GB coupled with micro SD card slot for additional storage
- Touch panel (IR touch) compatible with electromagnetic induction-type touch pen input
- Dimensions – Approximately 9 1/4” width by 12 1/4” height by 9/32” depth (thickness)
- Weight – Approximately 12.6 ounces
The Sony Digital Paper will be available in May for $1100 at Worldox, if you are willing to splash that kind of cash on a device that has a narrow band of uses.