Script to Extract Software Inventory

Question

Hi there,

I recently started working at this company about three weeks ago. Yesterday I suggested that we wrote a script to run manually to do some tasks, create a local user, move it to the local admin group and disable the administrator account. This part is done and works nice. However the second part is where I'm stuck at.

I need to extract the software inventory and print it into a xls file on the same directory where the script is. I can make adjustments later if needed, I just need to know the basics.

The script will run with local admin previleges, so there's no problem with that.

Can anyone give me a hint of how to do it?

It's supposed to be a vb script file (vbs).

Please me know just the basics so I can get it done :)

Thank's so much in advance.

3 answers to this question

You can use Fasttrack's automation studio, where you can do both. Is has a function that has all the inventory data it uses for its cloud inventory. So you can get away with one script line to write an inventory xml file to say a network share on each computer. Just save that one line as an exe and you have a GP startup task to do it. If you are looking for an actual software inventory, the same product has a cloud inventory that is pretty basic, but works well, because it is very easy to set up and it even includes the city where the computer is located at the moment. A nice touch is that it includes TeamViewer IDs, I liked that. You can find all the info you need at http://www.fasttrackscript.com, there should be a an inventory link on the front page. If you go into scripting mode in the product, you can write your one liner and save as an exe. Good luck :)