Windows 10 license mess

Ok I know I asked and asked, but it still a big mess IMO.

Going by http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-faq-we-figured-out-who-pays-and-who-doesnt There are 2 questions that sticks out:

Q. Can I transfer my Windows 10 installation to another computer after getting the free upgrade?

A. NO

That makes sense, so far.

Now move down the page a little more:

Q. What if I bought a retail license that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license?

A. YES.

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

By those 2 questions, it says that I can move my windows 10 upgrade to a new computer.

So can I move my free license or not?

Please share sources when sharing information, I don't need (or want to) be trolled any more than I have.

BTW the info on the source link is complete garbage. IT's not official and not from MS and does contradict it's self a few times.

Could one also say that the EULA contradict itself as well?

Basically what the things you quoted are saying is, you cannot transfer your upgrade license, it not an actual key, its a unique hash of your hardware components.. another pc will never match that hash.

The 2nd quote is in relation to the paid for retail keys which are actual keys and not the same as upgrade licences so you can use them as you have done for years.

Hope that clears things up. :)

• Like 2

I'm still confused too. My gaming rig and my htpc both have Windows 10 licensed and running. The HTPC was upgraded from 8.1 (TechNet key) and the gaming rig was clean installed with a previous insider build and then gradually updated to RTM. Both are signed it with my same Microsoft ID. One is enabled for insider and the other isn't. I'm still not sure what my 10 key is and if I even got the free upgrade.

Basically what the things you quoted are saying is, you cannot transfer your upgrade license, it not an actual key, its a unique hash of your hardware components.. another pc will never match that hash.

The 2nd quote is in relation to the paid for retail keys which are actual keys and not the same as upgrade licences so you can use them as you have done for years.

Hope that clears things up. :)

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a new windows 10 license and be done with it.

I have no idea why people go bunkers every time someone asks a question about win 10 licensing. It IS a mess and even myself I'm finding it hard to follow. So just to be sure, I'll just roll on the insider builds and be 100% legit until the ride ends. I don't mind installing new versions of windows here and there with bugs. I use it as my HTPC so I just browse, listen to netflix and play movies from my NAS. But not everyone is in the same situation and we would all like it to be clear.

• Like 2

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a new windows 10 license and be done with it.

Why would you want to do that when you can join the insiders program and get Windows 10 for free when it starts again soon?

There is still a bunch of confusion over this....so I'm going by the EULA.  OEM, obviously can not be transferred to another device.

Retail Windows 7/8 license is a different story.

Windows 10 EULA:

4.    Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a.    Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b.    Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

You also have this explanation:

What we do know is that the type of licence you have for your current version of Windows remains after you upgrade to Windows 10. So, if your computer shipped with a copy of Windows, you'll have an OEM licence, which means that you can't transfer the operating system to a new computer. This restriction will stay in place when you upgrade to Windows 10. It also means that if your computer has major components changed, such as the motherboard, Windows 10 will need to be reactivated, which will most likely require you to buy a new licence; it has been possible in the past with OEM versions to talk to Microsoft and have the software reactivated for free, provided there's a good reason for the hardware change, such as a fault requiring the replacement of a component.

If you bought a retail version of Windows 7 or 8 things are different, as this version is transferable to a new computer. This will stay true after you upgrade to Windows 10, so you'll be able to install the new operating system on a new computer, although you will have to delete it from your existing computer. This is great news for anyone that's looking to build a new PC for Windows 10, as it means that they can use their existing retail copy of Windows 7 or 8.

Source

...to add to the confusion from a earlier July article:

Ian Moulster, Windows product manager, said: "My understanding is it's licensed to the device and not to you, so it's specific to the device and you wouldn't be able to use it elsewhere."

A post on answers.microsoft.com suggests that only those who have upgraded from OEM versions of Windows 7 and 8 will need to buy a new Windows 10 license after replacing a computer's motherboard. Those upgrading from a retail version of Windows 7 or 8, the post says, would be able to transfer their copy of Windows 10 to a new machine or PC with a new motherboard.

Source

My opinion, based on the EULA ... you'll be able to transfer Windows 10 to another computer (OEM the exception).

Edited by jjkusaf

Why would you want to do that when you can join the insiders program and get Windows 10 for free when it starts again soon?

Not everyone wants to be an insider. Even I was considering stopping once 10 was released but I can't help myself and want to get all the new updates early.

There is still a bunch of confusion over this....so I'm going by the EULA.  OEM, obviously can not be transferred to another device.

Retail Windows 7/8 license is a different story.

Windows 10 EULA:

You also have this explanation:

Source

...to add to the confusion from a earlier July article:

Source

My opinion, based on the EULA ... you'll be able to transfer Windows 10 to another computer (OEM the exception).

Maybe an email to Microsoft is in order then.

I am wondering if the bought versions of Windows 10 licenses are transferable. There is word that there is no Retail version of

windows 10, Only the OEM versions and the Microsoft Windows 10 32/64-Bit USB Pen Drive version.

I am wondering if OEM version and USB Pen Drive version contains the exact same license or do they differ.

The USB Pen Drive version seems more complete just like the Retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 and is also the highest

priced version.. Perhaps the license you get with the USB Pen Drive version does allow license transferability.

If the bought versions are all OEM then those aren't transferable ether which means microsoft is forcing all of us to having to

purchase a new license every time we move to a new computer or even change motherboards.

I sure hope this is not the case.

Does anybody have any confirmed info on the purchased versions of Windows 10, if the licenses are transferable?

Edited by sinders

Maybe an email to Microsoft is in order then.

I am wondering if the bought versions of Windows 10 licenses are transferable. There is word that there is no Retail version of

windows 10, Only the OEM versions and the Microsoft Windows 10 32/64-Bit USB Pen Drive version.

If the bought versions are all OEM then those aren't transferable ether which means microsoft is forcing all of us to having to

purchase a new license every time we move to a new computer or even change motherboards.

Does anybody have any confirmed info on the purchased versions of Windows 10, if the licenses are transferable?

I honestly do not know what the confusion is?  (also...of course Windows 10 will be sold at retail)

The EULA states:  If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.  Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device.

If you upgraded from a retail aka stand-alone license then you may transfer the software (Windows 10) to another device that belongs to you as long as you remove it from the prior device.

Maybe another verbiage?  If you acquired Windows 10 as stand-alone operating system (and also if you upgraded from retail versions of Windows 7 or 8.1), you may transfer Windows 10 to another computer that belongs to you.  Every time you transfer Windows 10 to a new computer, you must remove it from the prior computer.

:)

Granted...after July '16 I have no clue how you'll be able to transfer your retail license to another build.  Hopefully somewhere deep within Microsoft servers they are flagging your Windows 7/8 product keys and attaching them to Windows 10....so you will not have to pay.

Edited by jjkusaf

Have I got this correct. If I purchase the standalone full version of Windows 10, the license can be transferred over to a new computer as many times as I like as long as I remove it from the prior computer beforehand?

Have I got this correct. If I purchase the standalone full version of Windows 10, the license can be transferred over to a new computer as many times as I like as long as I remove it from the prior computer beforehand?

Yes

I honestly do not know what the confusion is?  (also...of course Windows 10 will be sold at retail)

The EULA states:  If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.  Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device.

If you upgraded from a retail aka stand-alone license then you may transfer the software (Windows 10) to another device that belongs to you as long as you remove it from the prior device.

Maybe another verbiage?  If you acquired Windows 10 as stand-alone operating system (and also if you upgraded from retail versions of Windows 7 or 8.1), you may transfer Windows 10 to another computer that belongs to you.  Every time you transfer Windows 10 to a new computer, you must remove it from the prior computer.

:)

Granted...after July '16 I have no clue how you'll be able to transfer your retail license to another build.  Hopefully somewhere deep within Microsoft servers they are flagging your Windows 7/8 product keys and attaching them to Windows 10....so you will not have to pay.

What about this:

Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3 GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you have upgraded, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices that you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates.

The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-upgrade 

I am wondering if OEM version and USB Pen Drive version contains the exact same license or do they differ.

The USB Pen Drive version seems more complete just like the Retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 and is also the highest

priced version.. Perhaps the license you get with the USB Pen Drive version does allow license transferability.

The Windows 10 EULA is clear with this regard.

1) if you purchase a stand alone license of Widows 10 it can be transferred to other devices.

2) If you upgrade a stand alone license to Windows 10 it can be transferred to other devices.

Just read the EULA, despite people say, that information is written in clear plain language.

Windows 10 EULA

You should be able to just use the license key generated when you perform the upgrade.  I am in the process of testing if that key, from a machine upgraded from a retail Windows license, can then be used to install that same license on different hardware.  I just don't have that hardware so it might be awhile :s.

That is why I said this:

"Granted...after July '16 I have no clue how you'll be able to transfer your retail license to another build.  Hopefully somewhere deep within Microsoft servers they are flagging your Windows 7/8 product keys and attaching them to Windows 10....so you will not have to pay."

This is where no one can give a definitive answer because Microsoft really hasn't made it clear.  We'll probably know on July 29, 2016 when someone attempts to make a huge hardware change (i.e. new build) and gets stuck with a bill.  :)

Once again...I think you'll be able to transfer Windows 10 to a new computer build after July 29, 2016 but I wouldn't bet any money on it.  I just do not see how Microsoft could turn your retail license into an OEM one (which is basically what they would be doing if you couldn't transfer to another computer).

Just got a tweet from @MSAU stating that the free upgrade license cannot be moved to a new machine. On my phone so I cant provide link. So there you go folks :)