80070003 Windows 10 update error

I have this 80070003 error every time I try to update. I have followed many different options to fix this, even this one from MS themselves. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update-error-80070003#1TC=windows-7

Has anyone had this error and actually fixed it to upgrade to windows 10? I have tried to upgrade via the ISO download method and booting from a USB drive but it then asks for a serial number and not give me the option just to update.

Thanks

If you're upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 you don't need to boot from the ISO. Just mount it or extract it with something like WinRAR and run the setup program.

Did you try the FixIt troubleshooter here?

Thanks for the tip, I'll unrar the ISO now and give it another try. I haven't tried the troubleshooter either so thanks for that. I'll report back later and see how I get on.

If you're upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 you don't need to boot from the ISO. Just mount it or extract it with something like WinRAR and run the setup program.

Did you try the FixIt troubleshooter here?

I tried both those suggestions and neither worked. When I go to install from the unrared ISO it goes through the steps and starts he installation then at about 30% it stops with the error message on the desktop 'Something went wrong'. 

I too seem to be having your exact same issue. I have tried all the methods you linked to without success. I keep getting a message that my widows compatibility could not be determined. I just bought this film Dell in March so it's not very old but they did have to replace the hard drive and screen. Windows required that I re-authorize the software. I wonder if it's related to that our the fact I installed an ssd drive? I sure do not want to have to wipe this machine just to get Windows 10. I have AutoCADAutoCAD and related software on this thing and it is a pain to reinstall, reconfigure and reauthorize.

I officially give up trying to upgrade to 10 now. I have spent days trying everything imaginable to get the update to work. I'm not wasting anymore time on this. There should be a simple solution to a common error message like the one I have. 

I just need to cancel the update icon on my screen and play happily with win 8.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, don't give up! I have found a solution to this error, which helped me. Hope it will help you as well.

It is described pretty good here:

http://borncity.com/win/2015/08/08/is-easeus-partition-manager-a-windows10-upgrade-killer/

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/54058-windows-8-1-recovery-could-not-find-recovery-environment-3.html

In short, if you have used a third party partition manager, it has most likely messed up IDs of you recovery partitions. Which is in return drives windows crazy when it is trying to update.