Metal Gear Solid V: Gamescom Gameplay Demo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually hyped for this game. Especially since I'll have a brand new computer to enjoy it on.

The only other Metal Gear game I've played is the first one so the story will probably be like it's in another language to me. But oh well. It still looks amazing. I think I'll try to find some videos detailing the plot of the games or something so I can try to catch up.

Also is there no official thread for this game yet?? I searched but didn't see one.

My copy has been shipped, should arrive tomorrow :) But yeah we need an OT and collection of reviews. I'll do it later if not done. 

Hnnnnng is all I will say.

Got to play a few hours earlier before work. Now to jump back in! Sad Konami won't put the servers up early so my Ground Zeros data can transfer over. I went back and saved all the POI/POWs as they will appear in your motherbase.

So should I play Ground Zeros before going on to Phantom Pain? Or could I just play Phantom Pain without playing Ground Zeros?

So should I play Ground Zeros before going on to Phantom Pain? Or could I just play Phantom Pain without playing Ground Zeros?

Play GZ first. Has been on PS+ and XB Gold so I assume you have it? The main mission of GZ doesn't take long at all, and MGS5 kicks off right from the events of Ground Zeros.

Play GZ first. Has been on PS+ and XB Gold so I assume you have it? The main mission of GZ doesn't take long at all, and MGS5 kicks off right from the events of Ground Zeros.

Cool. I have it downloaded.. haven't had a chance to play it. However, I preordered MGS5 though.

I actually haven't played Ground Zero yet either. I know that you unlock stuff from GZ to use in TPP but I wonder how big of an impact that will have?

Also nvidia has released their MGS and Mad Max game ready drivers this morning. I didn't realize Mad Max also comes out on the the 1st. 

I actually haven't played Ground Zero yet either. I know that you unlock stuff from GZ to use in TPP but I wonder how big of an impact that will have?

Also nvidia has released their MGS and Mad Max game ready drivers this morning. I didn't realize Mad Max also comes out on the the 1st. 

It's not a BIG impact but it will be nice to see characters from GZ at Mother Base. One of which might be Kojima :p

GZ is a must play IMO anyway, for the short story mission alone to setup MGS5.

Well, the prologue is pretty damn intense.

The game seems to run pretty good too. All settings on extra high using DSR @ 2715x1527 it rarely dips below 60 fps. Although the game is hard locked at 60 fps, which is disappointing.

Another thing that is disappointing is that the menus in game do not support a mouse cursor. I'm not sure how that is even possible.

Can you buy this game for PC without Steam?   I had problem with my account...

(i have heard that even the physical best buy copy is basically a steam installer :(((

Can you buy this game for PC without Steam?   I had problem with my account...

(i have heard that even the physical best buy copy is basically a steam installer :(((

I think it's only on steam.

I think it's only on steam.

:(

i guess i will have to wait, or start a new account maybe, depending on how much i want to play the game.
plus my internet suck at the moment as i am not home, so i don't fancy a huge download either way.
at least with dragon age inquisition it was all on disks and i had to only download a patch, not the whole game....  but i don't think i can do this with this game (if the reports ore correct)

damn shame. i will continue to looking at the posts here... and maybe i can start the download on thursday morning or something, so i can spend the weekend playing.
would be so much easier to just buy the dvds :(
http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/80735-metal-gear-solid-v-pc-retail-disc-contains-no-files.html
#### Konami!!!

WTF really? Why even make a retail disc version then?

well, i just called my local ebgames, and they never received the PC version, and tell me it is online steam only. 
i guess canadians have more sense then new zealand stores....(or was it south africa? or just online buy for physical media?) 
as there is no point in ordering the boxed version if the game is not on there.  i feel bad for people who came home to find nothing on the dvds...

Anyone know how to get the Sneaking Suit into MGSV? I transferred my data from Ground Zeros.. but nothing. 

I just unlocked it after progressing through missions. I just finished the 6th one and I had it after that.

I could have unlocked it before that but I didn't have enough gmp.

So I now have 11 hours into the game according to steam. And the game is telling me that I'm just 5% into it. :laugh:

that sounds good. i hope you actually enjoyed the 11 hours?

i mean, i read about micro-transactions... sad... but i also read that you don't need it to play comfortably..

that sounds good. i hope you actually enjoyed the 11 hours?

i mean, i read about micro-transactions... sad... but i also read that you don't need it to play comfortably..

As far as I can tell that's for multiplayer only and I have no idea how that works. Their multiplayer server has been down for most of the day anyways.

And yes. A very enjoyable 11 hours. The open world game play is pretty brilliant. Easily in the running for game of the year next to The Witcher 3.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed it finally, longest MGS by FAR. That is 90% gameplay as well. I was actually pretty sad at the lack of cutscenes and Boss talking, but it does actually make sense at the end. Overall it is easily the best MGS game gameplay wise, but for me not story wise. Makes me kind of sad we won't see a MGS based after 4 from Kojima. Especially with gameplay like this.

It's also quite clear content was cut at the end, besides the fact mission 51 appears on the making of DVD but not in the game. Wonder if the Kojima/Konami parting is really fueled on Konami pushing the game out before it was ready. I mean MGOnline was a huge clue of that on its own.

My spoiler based opinion I posted on GAF below. Warning, when I say spoilers I mean ruining the game for anybody who hasn't completed it

My thoughts were best MGS gameplay wise, but not story for me. I didn't see the twist coming, I'll be honest, even although there is plenty of clues.... Like the Kotaku post by Jason though it actually left me feeling quite sad the last MGS game by Kojima doesn't actually have us playing as Boss lol. Kojima trolling. Effective but to pull it off it gave us a silent main character, hardly any decent cutscenes and a story told via ######## cassette tapes. Not worth it IMO, even if it does fill in story blanks. Didn't like Keifer either, but that decision makes sense given we don't even play as Boss... (outside of GZ, but using Hayter there, Keifer for TPP would have made the twist even obvious to me).

I'm also salty at cut content, clearly the game was rushed out by Konami.

So in terms of a MGS game, 1, 2, 3, 4 > 5 for me (that's not in order of my favourites, just to illustrate I prefer every other mainline MGS over it). In terms of gameplay 5 >>>>>>>> everything else.

Edited by Audioboxer

WTF really? Why even make a retail disc version then?

Yeah, it's just so they have have a physical shelf presence for retailers that still sell (boxed) PC games. Not the first to do this but certainly a joke not to even have any game files on a 4.7GB DVD.

Anyone know how to get the Sneaking Suit into MGSV? I transferred my data from Ground Zeros.. but nothing. 

You have to use your R&D department to research it. I have it, it's my favourite suit so far.