Windows 10 disabled torrent magnet links!?

For some reason ever since an update 2 days ago, I am unable to open magnet links in Chrome, FireFox and Edge, and using the clients BitTorrent and uTorrent.

It says there is no protocol apparently, but I have never had a problem with magnet links before this update. I have tried something with Chrome where you can change a setting in it, but it doesn't work with any software that I currently have period anyway. 

Another thing is that when I open a magnet link with Edge, it tries to get me to download a torrent software from the store, but doesn't let me choose the default program to open it with at all, which it should do.

Can anyone please explain this to me?

Works fine on Chrome here. However, Chrome did start putting up "dangerous site" interstitial warnings at torrent sites at that time.

I'm using Firefox, and have no problem opening a magnet link. But I know what you are talking about, I had that issue in Windows 7, and it was only with magnets, and I never did figure out what was causing it, I just always set magnets to always ask, and chose uTorrent.

In Windows 10, it just literally does nothing. It's weird because I share files in my company in torrents (cheaper,) and now all of a sudden, it stopped working. I can't get any dialog that asks me what to open it with other than Edge, which will only let me choose to look for apps in the store that all suck.

Have you tried to reinstall or re-associate? Apparently Windows 10 does not even show torrent or magnet in the default files...

Look at this post, it might give you some insight:

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/77313-how-to-configure-magnet-links-to-use-utorrent/

Guys, this is ridiculous. I am trying everything, Windows 10 only asks me to find an app in the app store rather than letting me choose my own app. I have checked the registry, I tried that uTorrent link, I tried a reg file, nothing is working! Why is Windows 10 such a pain in the ass... I am not trying to downgrade, but this is just one of many kinks I am having.

I reinstalled uTorrent and bitorrent, magnet links are just not on the system, PERIOD. Any more advice? Not even microsoft has an answer at the moment.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you right-click the torrent file and click "Open with \ Choose another App"?

Control Panel - Default Programs - Set your default programs - Find your P2P software and set all it's defaults.

People with '00's of posts and none of you have suggested the most obvious answer.

I figured out a solution.

I opened regedit and deleted all magnet associations and keys, then I opened my torrent program and disabled magnet links in advanced settings, clicked apply, then reapplied it.

Works in every browser now.

For future reference to whoever posted "works fine for me," that is not considered patronage or acceptable help in the slightest context as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to those who've helped.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you right-click the torrent file and click "Open with \ Choose another App"?

Magnet links don't have a file. They're just a hash value for the torrent and look like a web url.

example: Ubuntu Dapper x64 - magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0221caf96aa3cb94f0f58d458e78b0fc344ad8bf

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • I was trying to do all the changes in the "regedit" and the advanced settings in UTorrent and i was unable to figure it out. Well i updated UTorrent to the latest version. Problem solved. I have no issues with Magnet links any longer. I just did the Windows 10 update this morning. I was also having the same issues, where i was unable to do any Magnet link downloads. I was fortunate that this worked for me but updating UTorrent. I hope this works for all else, i had no idea what i was trying to do with the regedit.

Another option would've been to install another torrent client that users Magnet links. I don't use magnet links at all, everything is automated for me.

I'm on Windows 10 64bit Pro, which auto-updates. I'm wondering what actually happened to cancel it.

I've had this problem with Deluge and could never figure out how to associate magnet links with Deluge. Tixati takes magnet links just fine though.

• Eric locked this topic