'I'm Going to Kill You': Man Screaming at Spider Prompts 'Domestic' Call, Police Response in Australia

'I'm Going to Kill You': Man Screaming at Spider Prompts 'Domestic' Call, Police Response in Australia
Posted 4:10 PM, November 26, 2015, by CNN Wire, Updated at 08:30pm, November 26, 2015
"Come on mate, what have you done to her?"
Police were questioning a "flushed" and "out of breath" man who had answered the door to a flat in Wollstonecraft, a small harborside suburb of Sydney, Australia.
The booming sounds of a man shouting "I'm going to kill you" and a "woman screaming hysterically" had earlier echoed through the apartment block, sometime before 2.00am, Saturday November 21. The commotion disturbed neighbors, who were quick to alert the local police force.
"Where's your wife?" asked one of the policemen.
"I don't have one," the homeowner responded, after inhaling some air.
"Where's your girlfriend?" the officer continued.
"I don't have one," he said.
Unsatisfied, the same policeman pressed: "We had a report of a domestic and a women screaming, where is she?"
"I don't know what you're talking about. I live alone," the man protested.
The officers then told the man that neighbors had heard death threats, screams and the crash of furniture being flung around the apartment.
"It was a spider," the man tentatively explained.
"A really big one."
Incredulous, the policeman asked: "What about the women screaming?"
"Yeah sorry that was me," he said. "I really, really hate spiders."
It appeared to police that the man was in fact alone in the apartment, and was responsible for both the "womanly" screams and the threats to kill. They were not aimed at a woman, but an eight-legged arachnid.
The police investigated the man's claims, further searching the trashed apartment; all they came up with was a "rather large" spider.
After deliberating, police concluded that the disturbance was indeed caused by an arachnophobic man wildly chasing a spider around his home, while desperately clutching a can of Mortein insect spray.
After an awkward pause broken by relieved laughter, the police left.
The morning after, the local force posted a transcript of the bizarre conversation to their Facebook Page.

http://ktla.com/2015/11/26/im-going-to-kill-you-man-screaming-at-spider-prompts-domestic-call-police-response-in-australia/

Gives 'screaming like a girl' a whole new context, but given how venomous the Sydney funnel-web and other Aussie spiders can be - somewhat understandable.

Then there are people like us who keep tarantula as pets; my family a Goliath bird eater (13"), our grandson a Chilean rose etc.

I was laughing until I saw AUSTRALIA.    when i was there i was told to kill ANY spider on sight and not to hesitate, as a lot of them can seriously hurt you.

they also keep finding new poison spider species all the time!

In the US these Goliath bird eaters are bred, sold and kept as pets. About a 10-13" leg span as an adult, and they can be hand tamed - or even left to roam for a while. Ours has killed and eaten field mice that scurried in from outside.

post-347280-0-73754700-1338531842.jpg

On 11/28/2015, 8:40:46, FloatingFatMan said:

There's crawlies in Aus that'd eat your Goliath for breakfast, and then have YOU for seconds! :p

We just have poisonous spiders that will likely kill you if your elderly, a child, already ill or if your a healthy adult and it decides to sting you a few times otherwise if your a healthy adult and you get a single sting your likely to survive say a funnel web spider or other venomous australian spiders bites. Death toll due to spider bites is very small in Australia.

Our biggest spider is the Australian Bird Eating spider which is same as a Goliath Bird Eating spider just doesn't have the cool name (Same size, large fangs, etc). It is venomous but it's venom isn't very strong and won't kill a person, just make them ill for a few hours or days. These spiders are only found in remote areas and you'll never see one in a large australian city like Melbourne or Sydney.

One of the larger spiders that are more common is the huntsmen spider, it can grow to almost the same size as a small-medium size hand but has no venom and are harmless. (They actually hunt and eat other spiders like the small venomous ones so are best to let live if you see them). The huntsmen spiders are common even in large cities in Australia.

It seems all our wildlife gets a bad rep lol, they aren't as bad as the internet says though.

16 minutes ago, GotBored said:

It seems all our wildlife gets a bad rep lol, they aren't as bad as the internet says though.

Pffft. I know your evil plan! You're just trying to put us all at our ease, so that we'll visit your "safe" lands and get murderated by all the nasty creepy crawlies and then you can take over the world!

I've got my eye on you! :p

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Pffft. I know your evil plan! You're just trying to put us all at our ease, so that we'll visit your "safe" lands and get murderated by all the nasty creepy crawlies and then you can take over the world!

I've got my eye on you! :p

lol, damn my evil plan has been figured out!

Guess I have to now go with Option 2, export all our wildlife around the world. :p

• Like 2

On 11/27/2015, 6:01:04, E.worm Jimmy said:

I was laughing until I saw AUSTRALIA.    when i was there i was told to kill ANY spider on sight and not to hesitate, as a lot of them can seriously hurt you.

they also keep finding new poison spider species all the time!

Been to South America yet? Wait till you hear a banana spider fall from the ceiling and you hear a "SPLAT!" at 3AM.

I'm not terribly fond of spiders in general, and encountering an Aussie one certainly won't change my opinion. 

While I think they're interesting creatures, I'd just study them from afar. Far far away. :)