973 °C - please someone tell me my PC is not this hot

According to SpeedFan, I could cook anything on my computer... a whopping 973 °C.

bEPVArM.png

Please someone tell me this is inaccurate. :p And if so, how do I go about fixing that?

I would say that's impossible - 973 C is 1,783 F.  At that temperature, everything in your PC would be on fire, and you would not likely be able to get within several meters of it.  Your house would likely be on fire as well.

2 minutes ago, devHead said:

I would say that's impossible - 973 C is 1,783 F.  At that temperature, everything in your PC would be on fire, and you would not likely be able to get within several meters of it.  Your house would likely be on fire as well.

Haha yeah. When I first saw it I was like "uh woww ok let's fix this quick" then realised it probably just glitched for some reason. Restarted my PC and it is now reading at 45, so hopefully should all be good. :p

Just now, Jack W said:

Haha yeah. When I first saw it I was like "uh woww ok let's fix this quick" then realised it probably just glitched for some reason. Restarted my PC and it is now reading at 45, so hopefully should all be good. :p

Good to hear that.  Apparently, this is a common issue with SpeedFan.  Here's a link to another app that might work better:

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Just now, devHead said:

Good to hear that.  Apparently, this is a common issue with SpeedFan.  Here's a link to another app that might work better:

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Hmm. That says it is only for Intel processors - mine's an AMD, and does this program actually allow you to set the fan speed? The only reason I actually use SpeedFan is to set one of my case fan's speeds, as it always runs at 100% needlessly, so I set it to 30%.

6 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Hmm. That says it is only for Intel processors - mine's an AMD, and does this program actually allow you to set the fan speed? The only reason I actually use SpeedFan is to set one of my case fan's speeds, as it always runs at 100% needlessly, so I set it to 30%.

Oh...AMD you say.  Yea...900+ temps are common with AMDs.  Kidding of course. :)

Anyway, obviously there was an error with Speedfan.  There is a limit for how hot CPUs get and once X threshold is reached it should 1) throttle down and if that doesn't work 2) shut down the whole computer

Best app for monitoring is Aida64, it'll do temperatures and much more, you can tell it to output to the registry and use something like Rainmeter to monitor info (You can even output to Logitech keyboards), that's my setup (looks like I need to edit my config cos 2 drives aren't showing up...there, fixed :) ) :

rainmeter.png

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Oh...AMD you say.  Yea...900+ temps are common with AMDs.  Kidding of course. :)

Anyway, obviously there was an error with Speedfan.  There is a limit for how hot CPUs get and once X threshold is reached it should 1) throttle down and if that doesn't work 2) shut down the whole computer

Here come the AMD jokes :p I've used AMD for the past 3-4 years, I don't really see the problem with them to be honest.

Yeah, I find Speedfan a little odd at times; just didn't want the error to end up being something with the actual hardware, considering I only recently upgraded it all.

7 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Here come the AMD jokes :p I've used AMD for the past 3-4 years, I don't really see the problem with them to be honest.

Yeah, I find Speedfan a little odd at times; just didn't want the error to end up being something with the actual hardware, considering I only recently upgraded it all.

Naaa...just kidding about the AMD's.  I'm not really a "fanboy" of any brand ... though I made an attempt at being funny.  

Anyway, I would think that if the system itself saw such a huge spike in temp (not necessarily 973C which would cause a small mushroom cloud to form)... that it would shut down to protect itself.  

You could always test it by taking off the heatsink and seeing if it shuts down. :shifty:  Worst thing that could happen is it catches fire.

6 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

AMD = Awful Machine's Dead.

:shifty:

/joking

One of my laptops has AMD.  No issues with it.

Another Melted Device :glare:

46 minutes ago, Jack W said:

According to SpeedFan, I could cook anything on my computer... a whopping 973 °C.

bEPVArM.png

Please someone tell me this is inaccurate. :p And if so, how do I go about fixing that?

I can fix that :shifty:

vrkXzQn.png

Please make all cheques payable to Computer Assisted Service Help or CASH for short

7 minutes ago, Cnónna said:

Another Melted Device :glare:

I can fix that :shifty:

vrkXzQn.png

Please make all cheques payable to Computer Assisted Service Help or CASH for short

You wouldn't be based outta India by chance?  Doug from India?

21 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Naaa...just kidding about the AMD's.  I'm not really a "fanboy" of any brand ... though I made an attempt at being funny.  

Anyway, I would think that if the system itself saw such a huge spike in temp (not necessarily 973C which would cause a small mushroom cloud to form)... that it would shut down to protect itself.  

You could always test it by taking off the heatsink and seeing if it shuts down. :shifty:  Worst thing that could happen is it catches fire.

I think that's an experiment I'll pass on :p

bTi5y.png

And here I thought these temps were the norm.... I always wondered why there was a gaping big hole at the other side of my motherboard.

Spoiler

Really old image of a Realtemp bug where it shows Fahrenheit in Celsius degrees. I remember I still had something like that on my imgur account, that i7 920 D0 stepping was amazing though! 4GHz @ 1.2V was the end result, ran cool and never got hot.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, Gibblets said:

I'm really interested to hear what his actual temps are.

under heavy loads, probably in the 60 - 70 C range, I've never had an AMD go higher (all of mine are air cooled)

On 30/05/2016 at 4:34 PM, Jack W said:

send a board analysis to speedfans creator in the settings, im at work atm so going from memory, there is a way to fix it.

run speedfan, go into config then move to Info tab, use send report feature, remembering to list your motherboard model.