Which version is recommended?

Ok.. finally decided to move entirely to Windows 10.. Hope I will find a good ergonomy and 2016 technologies in the new o.s. Had a discussion with some friend, more experienced with W10 and recommended enterprise edition, since (automatic) updates can be skipped, true ? 

1. Which version is recommended for my needs (Autodesk Revit/Inventor, Adobe Ps,Ai, Office, some gaming..).

2. Enterprise edition can be downloaded at this moment by using media-creation tool or? 

3. Are there any tips for a new fresh-install such as ssd optimizing & stuff? 

My system : core i7 4770, 8 Gb Ram, Intel SSD 120Gb, Asus D2x soundcard, Dell S2440L monitor.

Thanks for any suggestion and related ideeas.

You can't just go out and buy a Windows 10 Enterprise licence, so unless you can get one from your workplace your pretty much out of luck.

Windows 10 Pro is all you need however, you can delay updates if you really don't want to install them upon release, however i personally don't think you need to worry about this.

Enterprise can only be downloaded (legally) from the microsoft license site and is for corporations...

The next edition would be professional and can be downloaded or bought from anywhere.  If you want to "skip" updates...disable windows update. 

For your requirements, you could run with Home or plain Windows 10, not professional.

You can't disable updates in Enterprise you can delay (or push them out with a WSUS server), just like Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro, plus you'd need a MAK/KMS server to use enterprise, you really just need Windows 10, the standard edition.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Then you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

ANd quickly before the free upgrade offer ends.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

You can't disable updates in Enterprise you can delay (or push them out with a WSUS server), just like Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro, plus you'd need a MAK/KMS server to use enterprise, you really just need Windows 10, the standard edition.

He is eligible for the Win 10 Pro. Win 7 Pro-->>Win 10 Pro

Just now, Cosmin said:

why you all insist that Standard Edition is enough for all my needs ? main reason ? 

I am not, I said Win 10 Pro which is free.

and probably most important.. do you consider this upgrade will gave you enough benefits ? a few of them :)

3 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

why you all insist that Standard Edition is enough for all my needs ? main reason ? 

Not joining to a microsoft active directory domain = no need for professional.  All functionality is in windows 10 that you need to do what you need to run your software.  Main (not only) benefit is to join an AD domain.  There are others, but you have not hit on anything that would require you to go to professional. 

• Like 2

Just now, sc302 said:

Not joining to a microsoft active directory domain = no need for professional.  All functionality is in windows 10 that you need to do what you need to run your software.  Main (not only) benefit is to join and AD domain.  There are others, but you have not hit on anything that would require you to go to professional. 

fromto.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

All you want to do is run some normal desktop apps, you haven't stated you wish to use Remote Desktop or anything else exclusive to the Pro edition.

That said you can get a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, so that is what you will end up with when you upgrade.

I would just upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and enjoy.

Gary, perhaps you missed this:

27 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Ok.. finally decided to move entirely to Windows 10.. Hope I will find a good ergonomy and 2016 technologies in the new o.s. Had a discussion with some friend, more experienced with W10 and recommended enterprise edition, since (automatic) updates can be skipped, true ? 

1. Which version is recommended for my needs (Autodesk Revit/Inventor, Adobe Ps,Ai, Office, some gaming..).

2. Enterprise edition can be downloaded at this moment by using media-creation tool or? 

3. Are there any tips for a new fresh-install such as ssd optimizing & stuff? 

My system : core i7 4770, 8 Gb Ram, Intel SSD 120Gb, Asus D2x soundcard, Dell S2440L monitor.

Thanks for any suggestion and related ideeas.

I understand that he has pro and that is the recommended path...however to answer his initial question "Which version is recommended for his needs" he just needs Home.

• Like 2

I am not in any type of Domain, I am using Win10 Pro. If you do not want some of it's features they can be disabled or removed. You want any other version you will have to pay for it.

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

Gary, perhaps you missed this:

I understand that he has pro and that is the recommended path...however to answer his initial question "Which version is recommended for his needs" he just needs Home.

Why get something less that is required,. Like if you are getting a free car and you chose a VW over a Porsche :)

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I am not in any type of Domain, I am using Win10 Pro. If you do not want some of it's features they can be disabled or removed. You want any other version you will have to pay for it.

You don't need to be, but you probably aren't using any of the features of pro that would require you to use pro.  You can use any version you want.  But having a version that turns on certain features that you never use is a waste (could be a waste of money, if you spent money on it).  Maybe if you are remote desktoping into it, but you could just use teamviewer or any of the other free remote utilities for that.

FYI, here is the matrix that tells you what is enabled in what version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

• Like 3

If he upgrades MS is going to upgrade him to Pro. That is how it works.

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

You don't need to be, but you probably aren't using any of the features of pro that would require you to use pro.  You can use any version you want.  But having a version that turns on certain features that you never use is a waste (could be a waste of money, if you spent money on it).  Maybe if you are remote desktoping into it, but you could just use teamviewer or any of the other free remote utilities for that.

FYI, here is the matrix that tells you what is enabled in what version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

What part of Free don't you understand?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

There is no standard edition - there is Home and Pro; who said get 'Standard'?  Pro is your best bet.  Get the Pro version.  Actually, on second thought, you know what?  Get the Pro version.  That's the version you want.  Or get the home version.  I'm sure on Microsoft's Windows site you can look at the differences between the Home and Pro version.  But if you're upgrading from Windows 7 Pro, you are eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.  For that reason, I would recommend...the Pro version.  That's the one.  FYI, Pro is short for Professional.

9 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Not joining to a microsoft active directory domain = no need for professional.  All functionality is in windows 10 that you need to do what you need to run your software.  Main (not only) benefit is to join an AD domain.  There are others, but you have not hit on anything that would require you to go to professional. 

Actually, the main benefit of Pro is Hyper-V. It is a huge benefit for the minor price difference. It is useful for anyone that actually uses a computer for real work.

I see a lot of ideeas and suggestions. Wonderful!

Also.. I wonder if the iso that comes from media creation tool has all the updates until now inside..