Cannot install Windows Phone 8.1 Emulators

Question

I am getting an error message that tells me that I do not have Visual Studios installed and that it wont let me install the emulators. Except for the fact that I do have it installed. In this  screen you can even see it running (i know not to install it while its running) and it shows the version number as well. Am I missing something here?

Here are the requirements according to the official website.

Windows Phone 8.1 Emulators

The Windows Phone 8.1 Emulators package adds six emulator images to an existing installation of Visual Studio. With this update installed, developers can test how apps will run on phones running Windows Phone 8.1. This update requires Visual Studio 2013 with Update 2 or later.

post-120066-0-17359400-1397082706.png

5 answers to this question

You need Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows, NOT the "Windows Desktop" version. You can get it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=389848

that did the trick and then i ran into the fact that I cannot use the emulators because i am not running the pro version of windows 8 :( i suppose i will just have to go back to doing dev on my device and just wait for next week when the developer preview is released for my phone.

Dark looks cool but it is a strain on the eyes when actually using.

It really depends on the lighting in the room. The dark background works very well for me at work.