Is there anyway to run Dreamscenes for Vista on XP

I'm looking for a program sort of like the animated desktop program for Vista, for XP..

Does anyone know of a way how I could go about doing this, without running Desktop X?

► You can try Drempels for a random, psychdelic animated dekstop.

► If you want to put your own video as a wallpaper, download VLC player and open your video. Right click on the video and click on "Wallpaper".

(If it's not working, check "Enable Wallpaper Mode" under Settings -> Preferences -> Video -> Output Modules -> Direct X)

• To loop the video, goto Settings -> Preferences -> Playlist -> Repeat All

• To remove VLC from the taskbar, goto Settings -> Preferences -> Interface -> Main Interface -> wxWidgets and uncheck Taskbar. I also recommend enabling the Systray icon if you still want to be able to access VLC.

► The only problem with the above (all all other similar programs) is that it messes up alpha-blends and shadows. This is a limitation of XP, and just one of the reasons why Aero is considered a superior interface.

► A couple of cool videos I found here at Neowin (Made by Microsoft):

Bliss:

bliss.jpg

Aurora:

aurora.jpg

Dreamrender

Probably not as advanced as you want, but animated all the same.

Looks pretty nice, but it's a damn shame you have to pay for access into the gallery to download new 'backgrounds'. :(

Looks pretty nice, but it's a damn shame you have to pay for access into the gallery to download new 'backgrounds'. :(

Really, the last time I went there you could download anything, but you got the dreamrender logo on the dreams until you bought the program.

Really, the last time I went there you could download anything, but you got the dreamrender logo on the dreams until you bought the program.

Take a look, I think they're now charging people to go into the gallery.

Take a look, I think they're now charging people to go into the gallery.

It sucks they are doing that. I am assuming that they no longer charge for the program, but charge for the access to new dreams.

You used to be able to download anything, but until you bought the program you had the logo floating about the dreams.

I still don't get the appeal of these .

1. they use slightly more resources than a typical wallpaper (me = somewhat minimalist, hates wasted resources)

2. unless you have a low res monitor, all these dreamscene look like ass uspcaled on a higher res monitor. . it will only look good at 1:1 pixel mapping. so unless they make 1080p dreamsences that don't bog down your system, people with decent monitors should just look to getting nice high res wallpapers (me hates upscaled blocky, blurry compressed vids on his nice HD displays)

They are a nice concept, but the vid (dreamscene) has to map to the pixels 1:1 or it will always look worse in PQ than a nice HD wallpaper. (i hate upscaling . . native res is a must for anything)

but most people don't care and just like the moving picture; competely ignorant to the fact that it isn't very high res and looks like crap when run on a nice screen.

Edited by cooljerk_dv

Oh well, guess I'm stuck dreaming until I actually break down and buy Vista.

Yes you are. DreamScene is powered off dwm.exe, which is the process that powers the Aero interface, so there's no chance that DreamScene in itself can work on XP.

It's just a gimmick.

The videos, probably. They eat up too much CPU and stutter too easily.

But once Stardock releases their SDK, no one will ever say that again. Hell, look at their dynamic dreams: The Desktop Collage one, for example.

I probably won't buy the ones from Stardock (Who has the money?) I plan to write a few once the SDK is released though.

I love the Ovals one. It's dynamic, and it's my background. http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?ski...83&libid=50

I'm looking for a program sort of like the animated desktop program for Vista, for XP..

Does anyone know of a way how I could go about doing this, without running Desktop X?

You could write a web page with some JavaScript or possibly even Flash and then use Active Desktop to display it.

I've done it in Win2000, but for a very simple "pan back and forth across a very large image"; it draw a bit of CPU time (few percent of a 4600+)

• 7 months later...

Like Hak Foo said, you can use a html-page (with embedded windows media player). Under Windows XP you can set *.html files as background like any other wallpaper (e.g. *.bmp, *.jpg), so no additional software is needed. To create such html-files for your PC you can use the freeware Tool XPScene (you can find it on dreamscene.org).