Some desktop shortcuts keep vanishing

Hi everyone.

I am using build 7600. Something that has happened to me on many different builds I have used (7100, 7167, 7229, etc) and I've found no recourse. Several of my desktop icons keep disappearing. Not just "hidden" but deleted in some fashion. The only way for me to get them back is to recreate them. (I've since learned to copy them after creating them and store the copies somewhere; this makes replacement much easier).

For example, I have several shortcuts to various control panel functions on my desktop. Also, my Guild Wars icon, Neverwinter Nights 2, and COD4 icons disappear on a frequent, but irregular basis. They're just gone. Not in the recycle bin or hidden.

Some key points:

- I have Desktop Icons "turned on" under View.

- There is no "desktop cleaning" program running (remember how, sometimes, I think it was Windows XP, a box would pop up and say "You have unused icons on your desktop.."

- There is no 3rd party software that organizes, controls, or manipulates shortcuts or icons. (Such as IconPackager)

- The computer NEVER enters sleep, hibernate, or any low-powered state. It runs 24/7 (except reboots, of course).

Lastly, there is no specific timing to this event. It can happen over night, or during the day. One time it happened when I came back from the bathroom! The handful of icons simply vanish.

Also, like I have said- this has happened in almost every build I have used. (I cannot say for certain EVERY build). And it's ALWAYS the Control Panel shortcuts (some, not all) and 2-3 game icons/shortcuts.

Anyone know what causes this? I did a cursory search here, found nothing. A quick search on Google yielded a few results showing some people have the same problem, but no solutions.

Anyone? Thanks.

I am afraid I have no solution for this or can think of a reason but you might want to download fences by stardock and see what happens then. it lets you group some icons together and I am wondering if they will all diappear or if only a couple of them will disappear. since fences will have control of the icons and will keep track of them, I think this might be a temporary solution.

I am afraid I have no solution for this or can think of a reason but you might want to download fences by stardock and see what happens then. it lets you group some icons together and I am wondering if they will all diappear or if only a couple of them will disappear. since fences will have control of the icons and will keep track of them, I think this might be a temporary solution.

Actually, I've used Fences. Thanks for the input, however. I run into this event whether Fences is installed or not. Sadly, Fences does not "save" icons, only their positions. If an icon/shortcut is removed from the desktop, it does not restore it. (But I admit- Fences is an awesome utility. I can't wait for Stardock's final release.

I am having the exact same problem. But actually i'm found a solution for this:

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > \Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis > and try to disable "Scheduled" task. That works fine now...

62344646.th.png