AutoPatcher XP Switches Guide

OK, this will be quite usefull for unattended installs and stuff:

Silent Mode (a.k.a. Unattended mode)

You can use the /unattend switch when you want to make AutoPatcher XP run in silent mode, suppressing any popup windows, batch file checks or questions. However: This wont stop any other applications/installation routines from giving popups or error messages...

Also, note that when you use the /unattend switch, AutoPatcher XP will NOT unckeck any installed updates. An other thing to keep in mind, is, that since the /unattend switch makes the process completely silent, there is no way you can select what to install... This means that AutoPatcher XP will use the defaults, provided by the database file. To change that, you will have to save your own defaults BEFORE using the actual unattended procedure!

No EULA Mode

In unattended mode, the EULA is displayed because it is an agreement between us and the users. If you have read it, agreed and don't want it to show up, you can use the /noeula switch. This switch will be very useful in unattended installs...

No Batch File Checks

When AutoPatcher XP starts, it checks for the target batch files, to prevent some problems... If you want to skip these tests and make the startup procedure somewhat faster, use the /nochecks switch.

Force Keep Backups

You can FORCE the end user to keep backups, using the /keepbackup. Note, that this will make AutoPatcher XP check ONLY for the normal batch files (and not the non-backup versions), but it will also disable the checkbox (quite handy!).

Force No Backups

Similar to the previous switch, but does the exactly opposite. If you want to FORCE a No-Backup process, you can use the /nobackup switch. Again, this will disable the checkbox.

Set the Restart Timer to 60 seconds

You can set the Restart Timer from 15 seconds up to 60 seconds, in order to be sure everything will close as it should. Just use the /60secs

Log events on screen

To make AutoPatcher log events on the screen, during the installation process, use the /screenlog switch.

Do not write a file log

AutoPatcher XP keeps a complete log of the database condition at the time of installation. This will helps us determine what went wrong in case you experience any problem... However, if you don't want to keep a file log, you can you the /nolog switch.

Force no reboot

You can use the /noreboot switch to bypass AutoPatcher's restart timer. Use this if you want to restart the system manually.

A couple more for December!:

Force previous log use

You may have noticed AutoPatcher asks about previous logs if you have used AutoPatcher again... There is a way to supply an answer to that question (other that the unattend mode!). Just use /forcelogs and AutoPatcher will automatically use any avilable log files to uncheck previously installed items...

Ignore previous logs

Similar to the previous switch, though this works in the opposite way... IF AutoPatcher does find any logs, if you supply the /ignorelogs switch, it will just ignore them and move on without asking... Some items (and only hotfixes) will still be unchecked based on the native hotfix check.

Disable Nags

You can automatically skip any 'nags' such as a failed database validation, antivirus warning, or even detection (logs & hotfixes) screen, by using the /nonags switch.

English Mode

If AutoPatcher's UI appears in an other language than english (this happens when a UI translation exists for your language) you can still run AutoPatcher with an english UI by using the /english switch.

AutoPatcher

If you want to open the AutoPatcher Tools immediatelly (normally started in About -> Tools) you can use the /tools switch. AutoPatcher will start, and instead of loading the normal UI and database, it will bring up the AutoPatcher Tools...

That's it for now....

/Raptor

i am trying to do a complete scripted install utilizing autopatcher xp, but have run into one snag...

i'm using the following switches

/unattend /noeula

when i use this it automatically restarts, which is fine, but when i add the /noreboot switch it stops with a screen where i have to click exit for it to continue (which sorta defeats the point of the /unattend switch)

am i doing something wrong? or is this something that can be fixed?

thanks

looks like you spoted a bug... lol... i forgot to include a special treatment when both /noreboot and /unattend are used :D

this means you are rewarded with the newest November exe :D

now if you use both /unattend and /noreboot AutoPatcher will just exit when done, without rebooting...

/Raptor

AutoPatcher_XP.exe

• 2 weeks later...

A suggestion regarding switches. How about allowing AutoPatcherXP.exe (the autorun program) to pass switches to AutoPatcher_XP.exe (the patcher program)? This way it would be extremely simple to edit the autorun.inf file to include any desired switches before burning to CD.

For example an autorun.inf that read:

[Autorun]
Open=AutoPatcherXP.exe /nochecks /noeula
Icon=src\889.ico

Would pass the /nochecks and /noeula switches on to the AutoPatcher_XP.exe executable. This would make for a more aesthetically pleasing autorun than a plain batch file.

A suggestion regarding switches.  How about allowing AutoPatcherXP.exe (the autorun program) to pass switches to AutoPatcher_XP.exe (the patcher program)?  This way it would be extremely simple to edit the autorun.inf file to include any desired switches before burning to CD.

This would make for a more aesthetically pleasing autorun than a plain batch file.

Hmmm... I think it is possible to do that, I'll check on the newest copy of both the AutoRun and the Patcher when I get home and let you know. :) That is a good idea, though.

tell you what... in unattended ones, you dont really need the setup as a mid-stage... you can call the AutoPatcher.exe directly, passing any switches you like...

If you want the autorun to be able to receive switches and pass them to autopatcher, then Agentsmith will have to support commandline parameters through the setup... and there are quite a few of 'em hehehe... It can surely be done, just need some time to speak with agentsmith...

/Raptor

"CustomProgFiles\AdbeRdr60_enu.exe" -p"-s /v\"/qn\"

Aodbe Reader, Fully silent.

Good find! (Y) I previously thought you had to extract it to install it silently.

now there's a program you have to use 1337 skill to install silently! i wonder who thought of -p"-s /v\"/qn\" being a silent switch... :D

/Raptor

@ Raptor= With Advanced options. And no, I don't know how to change it.

WinISO= "CustomProgFiles\WinIso.exe" /VERYSILENT /SP-

Fully Silent but puts icon on desktop.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

• 2 weeks later...
now there's a program you have to use 1337 skill to install silently! i wonder who thought of -p"-s /v\"/qn\" being a silent switch... :D

/Raptor

Whoever found that out (it's on lots of websites) probably used Strings from Sysinternals.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the FOSI release of Diskeeper 8 Pro and extracted its contents with WinRAR. Then I saw the setup package and extracted it with the following command:

c:\setup.exe /s /a /s /sms /f1c:\temp\DK.iss

That command turns it into a network install complete with the .msi file.

I took the temp folder created on my C drive and renamed it DK and threw it in the Progfiles folder of AP.

Then I did the Database edit under Bonus Features and created an entry with the following batch command:

msiexec /i "%AutoPatcherXP_Dir%\ProgFiles\DK\Diskeeper Professional Edition.msi" /qb-!

WORKS GREAT! :woot:

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone wanted to do the same. :D

"CustomProgFiles\AdbeRdr60_enu.exe" -p"-s /v\"/qn\"

Aodbe Reader, Fully silent.

Thanks for that info... that will come in handy!

Here's the hard way I did it (Quoting a Tech Republic article):

To create the silent installation package for Reader 6 you must first gain access to the "raw" MSI files. The trick to extracting the actual MSI files is to go through virtually all of the Reader 6 installation, except actually installing the software. When you reach the installation screen, shown below, instead of clicking Install, click Cancel. Click Yes when asked if you really want to cancel the installation, and then Finish.

r00320030729lia01_A.gif

This exercise will result in the MSI files being extracted into %systemroot%\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0 folder on your hard drive. From that folder, copy all the MSI files into a shared folder on a network drive. For my example, I'll use S:\Acrobat\Reader6.

Install Acrobat Reader 6 silently. The basic syntax is:

msiexec /i "Reader msi"

In my example I recommend:

msiexec /i "S:\Acrobat\Reader6\Adobe Reader 6.0.msi" /qb-!

This will use the Reader MSI file to perform the installation in basic quiet mode with the Cancel button disabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

As you're looking autopatchers and/or coders experienced, I hope not perturbing yr discussion. I'M NEWBIE.

I've installed autopatcher and create CD without problems. This time I want to add some drivers and appz.

I'm looking to add drivers to the plug and play list and appz (what code, where to add XP_SLIPSTEAM_BUILDER.bat CUST_INSTL.cmd, or in the expanded autopatcher /autopatcherxp.apdb. Moreover, I couldn't find winnt.sif in the expanded autopatcher, in XPCD neither ...)

1) Philips 150S3F monitor driver (24K) http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/1/150s3f_..._00_dxp_eng.zip ? files 150s3.inf, 150s3.cat, Finder.dat and Ph_LCD15.icm)

2) Radeon 9000 DDR, how to add CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 driver (24MB) http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-cataly...2m1-012924c.exe

3)Soundblaster SB!Live driver (25MB) http://files.europe.creative.com/manualdn/...i-Pack(FRN).exe

4) Winrar 3.2

Thakns for yr help

coucou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see an option to load a default settings file via filename as a command switch.. this way you can have multiple settings and quickly load them.

For instance, if I'm doing an unattended install and I've got nero, cdrwin and other burning utilities as an automatic install.. but my parents for one, would never need this stuff.. being able to specify a configurartion via command line would make this much simpler ;)

Hello,

As you're looking autopatchers and/or coders experienced, I hope not perturbing yr discussion. I'M NEWBIE.

I've installed autopatcher and create CD without problems. This time I want to add some drivers and appz.

I'm looking to add drivers to the plug and play list and appz (what code, where to add XP_SLIPSTEAM_BUILDER.bat CUST_INSTL.cmd, or in the expanded autopatcher /autopatcherxp.apdb. Moreover, I couldn't find winnt.sif in the expanded autopatcher, in XPCD neither ...)

1) Philips 150S3F monitor driver (24K) http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/1/150s3f_..._00_dxp_eng.zip ? files 150s3.inf, 150s3.cat, Finder.dat and Ph_LCD15.icm)

2) Radeon 9000 DDR, how to add CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 driver (24MB) http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-cataly...2m1-012924c.exe

3)Soundblaster SB!Live driver (25MB) http://files.europe.creative.com/manualdn/...i-Pack(FRN).exe

4) Winrar 3.2

Thakns for yr help

coucou

First off get WinRAR 3.30 and then just use the /s Switch.

Captain Caveman, noted down :)

/Raptor

Nice suggestion... let's see what Raptor can do with it. :) Oh, and...

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAVVVEEEMAAAAAAAAAAN!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

post-89-1076074231.jpg

Hehe, thats my logon picture lol..

But yeah, that'd definately be a handy option.. after XP installs, I'd have a dos batch menu come up with various configs.. and then run autopatcher.