MSSTYLE PROB

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"%1" is what is in the box

updated pic. is that right?

all the themes say invalid theme

post-34-1086490065.jpg

Edited by fishie

The filename for the theme file should be *.msstyles, not *.msstyle, as your screenshot states. Same with your file association. Perhaps that's the problem.

Could it just be the msstyle that you're trying to load is corrupted in some way? Does the same problem occur with other themes? If not, then you have your answer.

EDIT: Never mind. I can see that you have two different themes selected in each screenshot.

I think you have the "Hide extension for known file type" selected. So by adding the "s" you only pluralized the file name not the file type.

Open a window, be it documents or computer and click on "tool" then "folder type". Click the view tab and scroll down till you see the "Hide extension for known file type", uncheck this and click apply.

Now you should be able to rename the file type.

Okay, I'll try again to assist.

What happens when you try and load Luna from Settings -> Display -> Appearance? To me it almost sounds like you may have a corrupt uxtheme, or at least a uxtheme.dll from another version of windows (eg. uxtheme.dll from SP1 on SP2, uxtheme.dll from the original XP RTM on SP1, etc.)

Here's what it's set at for mine.

C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\windows\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Appearance /Action:OpenMSTheme /file:"%1"

I really doubt file associations is where the fault lies.

you thought wrong! thanks bannananananana man and all others that fixed the problem now i can have some yummy themes again! (: I LOVE NEOWIN! :hug:

Hey all. Im a total noob so. I was wondering if someone can tell me where to get a ptcher for the uxtheme.dll file thing so i can use the longhorn themes. I have tried patching it with something and it doesnt work. when i double click the theme i want to apply it jus pops up the appearences tab but the theme doesnt change. Please if you could help me it would greatly be appericated.

Thanks

Any1 know if you can actually just run the file without bringing up that dialog box?

Or if there is a c++ cmd to change themes or something?

you thought wrong! thanks bannananananana man and all others that fixed the problem now i can have some yummy themes again! (: I LOVE NEOWIN! :hug:

Then I stand corrected! :happy:

Glad to hear it's working for you again. :D

ok.. iv installed the patch and restarted but there is no difference.. when i double click the themes they still dont apply.... and they dont come up in the scrool thing in apperance... whats wrong.. what am i doing wrong?

Aren't themes supposed to be at C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes or something like that?

they dont have to be.