[VS] Active HTML desktop

Well I got to thinkin' about it last night, and I decided that I shouldnt hold out on everyone by not sharing my active HTML desktop setup that I have modded myself. So here it is.

Q: What is active HTML desktop?

A: It is like having a constant web page on your desktop (insted of icons) that shortcut to your programs, and also has a run command line, as well as google search and other things.

Q: How much will it cost me to get this 1337 setup of yours? I will pay you $5000 for it!!!

A: There's no need to pay me for this great setup. I have attached it for free in this post.

Q: How the heck do I use this thing?

A: Simple. First, unzip the contents of this zip file to any folder of your choice. Next, right click on your desktop > select properties > click desktop tab > click customize desktop > click web > click new

Then choose the location of the HTML file that is in the folder you have unzipped it to.

Basic HTML knowledge is required to change the attributes of the CSS files and the HTML file. You can easily edit the shortcut links, the color of the links thru the CSS file, and the positions of everything.

Example of my setup is here:

http://members.cox.net/compwizard/desktop2.jpg

I hope you enjoy this visual modification.

activedesktop.zip

:D you are my new best friend :D i've been looking for something on active desktop coding for so long, and haven't found any web resources? (dont happen to know any do you?) looking forward to picking apart your code.

yeh, i already have an active desktop background, you know you can make it as Neowine etc by using embeding codes etc, atm i've embeded a countdown until i go back to school onto my standard wallpaper.

is you have firefox has default browser, will the google search open firefox or it only works with ie?

you can set this in Set Program Access and System Defaults.

Q: How much will it cost me to get this 1337 setup of yours? I will pay you $5000 for it!!!

:laugh:

rofl I dont think anyone would be THAT excited about it. GJ nevertheless.

hmmm...now I need a version compatible with 1024x768. It seems to not to snap to the left hand side of the screen and lineup with the wallpaper.z

EDIT: now I fixed that problem......now I need to mod it so that I can see the 'weather' properly

EDIT2: How can I get Canadian Weather. It's not working... :(

Edited by Cryptic_Night

Nice, its always good to see a revival of these things. For those of you interested a search of the forums dating back from last year+ will yeild a whole cadre of active desktops, or active desktops apps as Xero would have you "believe" (only joking mate)

But out of all the active desktops we made between us we never did a minimalist one, this is quite nice mate.

Im more curious about the VS your using but, what is it?