nw Folder Enclose

Ages ago I developed a DLL in Delphi that would protect a folder in Windows XP using some basic API's. After that I recoded it and added a UI, and after reading this thread I thought I might as well redesign the interface and release it here.

I'm currently doing my HSC exams so it isn't complete and I don't plan on touching the project untill my exams are complete. Although Folder Enclose is (almost) stable when used correctly I've run into a few problems with protecting folders: e.g. some folders with specific files won't hide. Unprotecting a folder is very buggy.

Here are some screenshots, I'll release it when its near completion. The UI is about done for now.

Folder Enclose

By Kieran Campbell-Davis

The program is shaped in the form of a wizard for simple and easy use. Very newbie friendly :)

Start dialog, offering you what you want to do:

main.jpg

Password protecting a folder:

protect1.jpg

Sucessfully password protecting a folder:

protect2.jpg

Unlocking a protected folder and its content:

unlock.jpg

The about dialog:

about.jpg

Once all the finalisations are complete it should be less than 1MB. I develop my programs in Borland Delphi (I prefer not to use .NET).

Note: Folder Enclose only works in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It can work with FAT32 and NTFS drives, but cannot work on UNCs. Users with Command Prompt can still access the files but the Windows Shell cannot access the files when a folder is protected.

So far the bugs are:

- Folders that have advanced attributes (compressed or encrypted) and include files with advanced attributes don't lock. (Affecting NTFS drives only)

- Folders that contain files with archive attribute set and files without archive attribute set have some problems when unlocking.)

- Folders with "hidden" files won't unlock. (Not calling API properly?)

- If folders are renamed, password becomes scrambled (something to do with MD5 hash I think. Doesn't occur when no password reminder is set.)

- Program creates a windows error when attempting to protect a folder containing files marked with the attribute "system". (API related)

The list goes on, but once these are fixed up a release should be made. Please don't expect anything in like a week cuz I'm in the middle of study and these bugs are a programers nightmare. :p

Edited by kizzaaa

loveleh

oh, just a suggestion... for the unlocking method...

can you ulock it throug R Click > input password, instead of having to go into the main program and such...

loveleh

oh, just a suggestion... for the unlocking method...

can you ulock it throug R Click > input password, instead of having to go into the main program and such...

584787254[/snapback]

Thanks for the input.

I didn't think about that. The reason being is that involves implementing DDE functions into the application or creating a sub app. I probably will do this towards the end as i think ppl would prefer having context menu feats.

You don't really have to change the way the main program unlocks the folder, just consider the right click as an alternative way of unlocking it... context menu unlocking.

Nice work :)

Hidea's idea is a very important feature.. please add that

ditto :p

another suggestion...maybe have a different icon for locked folders? :happy:

Nice work :)

ditto :p

another suggestion...maybe have a different icon for locked folders? :happy:

584792274[/snapback]

That's already a feature, folders that are locked have the padlock icon.

I agree with Hidea. If it had this feature, I would defiantly use it.

I have also seen people want to put a password on network files. This would not be a feature I would use, but if it could be implemented I am sure it would help someone.

any updates?

Over the past few days I've been looking over the code trying to minimise the bugs in the app.

- Program creates a windows error when attempting to protect a folder containing files marked with the attribute "system". (API related)

The problem that I've run in to so far is when the program starts the process of protecting a folder it generates a runtime error if any file is marked with the system attribute.

Obviously I can't make the program change this attribute because it's there for a reason, so I've been looking at alternatives for the protect process. It might seem like its taking a while to build, but thats cuz I wanna make the program as stable as can be.

(Y) Keep up the good work man, I dont think any of us mind waiting to see a good stable product.. besides your doing this for all of us :D good luck with that error