Windows Mobile 2005 Improvements

Many things need to be improved from current version (2003)

- Need battery indicator in main window (maybe near the clock), same as mobile phone battery indicator is OK.

- Need minimize button (not only close X button),

- And can access minimized applications easily.

- Need better active sync (now still many problems, such as cannot copy multiple cascading folders)

- Do not limit menu to 12 only. use cascading menu if needed.

- Option to remove programs which built in in windows but not needed by user.

- Better word and excel file size. I try to change little things using pocket word (example just the header font size), but the file size jump to double from the original size.

- Need password for folders.

- Better Contact and Agenda.

- Built in good image vewer.

- Upgradeable from older version (and not so heavy for 250-300Mhz processor, and 64 Mb memory). or we can install to old hardware. example Toshiba E400.

- How about built it Pdf reader ?

- How about built in Divx ?

And others (please add your suggestions)

Thanks

Additionals (6 jan)

- Options to install country specific language word completions, and options to choose which to use.

- Word completion drop down is better than current word completion which only single.

- Word completion editor, now we cannot edit the word completion if we want, example there is error on sometmes, which must be sometimes

- Zoom for word and others better if 100, 125, 150, instead of jumping from 100 to 150.

- Text size view in Help

- Sand clock is missing, example it is needed when I open 500Kb Word documents, opening 300Kb HTML, etc.

- Make Home as default screenview, instead of current screen view which less usefull like now.

- Release activesinc 4 for windows mobile 2003 first to solve many problems such as cannot copy cascading folders, many word and excel conversion problems, HTML not working correctly, etc.

- Add Screen capture and image editor.

and many others.

Additional ( 8 January)

- Better File explorer: now the file name length is not enough, we need option to show longer name, and option to hide the date which maybe most people did not needed.

- Activesynch need to be able to create folder in the PDA from PC, not must create on the PDA.

- Better memory management, it look like there maybe memory leak, which make my memory run by time. without even adding more data, and I already close the running program,

ETC.

I hope I can get windows mobile 2005 beta PDA so I can give more suggestions.

Report based on Win Mobile 2003, on Toshiba E400.

For anybody who need the screenshot, look at

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2381

Edited by utomo

yea i know but i like the minimize an exit feature they are adding instead of always goin to home an stoppin the programs when i wanted them to stop in the first place

585234358[/snapback]

Adobe PDF reader is too big. or adobe need to make it smaller so run faster and not eating our memory.

Battery indicator in main window must be included as default instead of add on.

and close the application is stupid thing I think still not yet implemented in the win mobile 2003.

One thing I'd like to see with the Pocket PC line (although this is more of an ActiveSync issue) is the ability to sync your data with other programs besides Outlook. I personally don't mind using Outlook but I know a lot of people who want to sync their contacts and e-mail with Thunderbird or Eudora. It would be nice to be able to sync all your data with a program you specify (although this would require changes to the programs being synced to as well, there should still be an option in ActiveSync to choose a different program).

I'd also like to see built in PowerPoint support. Have Word and Excel is nice but it would also be great if I could create, edit, and run PowerPoint presentations on my PDA.

Heck while I'm on a role I might as well just create my own bulleted list as well...

-The ability to set more then 3 alarms

-Scientific calculator

-Better support of Office documents

-Multiple "window" (something like utilizing tabs) browser

-Ability to have multiple subfolders inside my "My Documents" folders (I'm an organizational freak)

-A standard open file windows that would allow the selection of subfolders inside of folders (a little switch of the standard file open window would be needed to do this)

For a moment I will only suggest those list.

But If I got the PDA with Win Mobile 2005 I think I can add some more suggestions. But duno who will send/ give it to me :(

if anybody want to add the suggestions just add it here, hope MS people will look at it and implement it.

That is dependant on Google actally.  They are the ones who determine what browser they let you use and which one they can't.

585253055[/snapback]

Well pocket IE is pretty rubbish. It seams to hate alot of websites and NetFront aint that much cop eather. I realy would like to see a better ver of IE and better support for full VGA ressolutions.

Yes the IE is not good enough, need to improve.

any more suggestions for improvements ?

Well pocket IE is pretty rubbish. It seams to hate alot of websites and NetFront aint that much cop eather. I realy would like to see a better ver of IE and better support for full VGA ressolutions.

585264939[/snapback]

firefox mobile :p

That is up to the Mozilla Foundation. But they are working on a mobile version of their browser as we speak.

oh and support for wm2003 apps.

If wm2005 drops support for wm2003 apps, I simply wont buy the new devices.

Well thats pretty much a given. Heck most apps that worked on the first versions of Windows Mobile still work on 2003, so why would they make all the older appes not work on 2005?

But anyhow I had another improvement I'd just like to throw in. An option that would allow you to use the current start menu system or a cascading start menu like desktop Windows use (that would keep both sides of the camp happy). It would be a lot easier then opening a seperate window that lists all of your programs (at least it would be eaiser for me).

I got one: when you are away from your machine and you dismiss an appointment on the pocket pc. I come back and throw the ppc in the cradle dont make me have to dismiss a popup from outlook 2003 on the pc. thats annoying when i come back and it says appointment X hours overdue. i should only have to dismiss an appointment once in either place.

Ability to sync memory cards aswell as internal memory.

Ability to place outlook details such as appointment, contacts and inbox onto a memory card. (some clients i know would like to add a massive amount of contacts to outlook).

Better/add abilities to stream music / video from a desktop to pda over wirless link

I know this is not a software issue, but please would a manufacturer release a Handheld PPC a la HP 720. I would love to have something which is small with a built in keyboard!

• 2 weeks later...

They should make Windows Mobile 2005 Universally installable I want to be able to go into a store and just buy a copy and install it I don't want to have to hold onto the corner of my chair hoping my OEM releases a revision supporting there Hardware.

Its about time Microsoft put down some rules for the hardware or at least sell the mobile revision in stores with a list of compatible devices (I.E. they include drivers for current devices why rely on the OEM's to do it!) I am sure they would make allot of profit from this as well since they are after all a Software company.

Some kind of Active Sync data compression algorithm. If I have to transfer something over USB / Bluetooth to my computer (normally use WiFi) through active sync it is painfully slow, this is due to the pocket PC's I/O connector but Microsoft could speed this up a tad by using compression!

• 3 weeks later...

The screenshots look interesting.

I am still hoping HP release an update for my Pocket PC. I bought it in January of this year and its one of there more expensive higher end models and I have seen them upgrade the higher end models from 2002 to 2003 in the past so I mite get lucky.

what i would like is for a standard issued upgrade for the pocketdevices. the way it is right now, its so that you have to wait for the manufacturer to release a customized release.. It would be nice if there was just one release from microsoft that could custom fit for any pocket pc instead of waiting for the manufacturer to release it.

I guess its hard to do.. but maybee if all the hardware was standard