Mercenaries

It gets old quick. Having said that, it's a decent enough game. Better than some of the crap available. If you're a fan of GTA (and somehow, I think you just might be; by the way you write if nothing else) you'll probably enjoy it. It's a pretty mindless game.

Thanks Joel, I can post coherently for you but get off the weed, that is something I cannot bring myself to do I'm afraid. Now Irate, please stop getting irate, irate... are you implying I'm mindless, mindless I am not, clearly psychotic maybe, I've played GTA:SA and tried to get into it but thinks its a load of crap, it feels like any other GTA game after the first ten minutes, and the ability to put tattoo's on me and pretend I'm 2pac doesn't make up for it. OK, I'll stop being stupid and talk more about the Mercenaries game having played it a bit more last night.

The game is far deeper than GTA. The way the missions are worked into the game is far, far better...

It works like this... you get 52 Cards of a regular Card deck, each attributed a target... The 1 to 10's of a particular suite are the weakest of your targets, then comes the bigger marks, worth more money J,Q,K and finally the Ace at the top, being your main mark and destroying the rest of that suite if completed before your other marks... as you take down the top mark you move to another suite.

The order you take the cards in is up to you and depends on how you go about it ingame.

How you achieve missions is via talking to certain Factions HQ bosses and also smaller missions can be obtained via other people in the area of that Faction, the main story missions generally followed by going through the actual Faction leaders. Once there you sit in on the boss telling you a general overview of the mission and then have to talk to his henchmen to receive the contract.

When a contract has been received you can access your pda and read mission details via email, you pda also displays a map of the area which you will often find yourself using unless you have a big TV as the radar map can be deceiving.

One great thing that you should all note prior to going into any gameplay talk, the graphics on this game are jaw dropping, stunning, really make you think, why can a 700mhz xbox with 128 ram and a tiny GPU perform like this? Then look at your pc thinking of the money you have paid on components to get games of far lesser splendour to run on medium settings. Really, it is amazing when you think about it, but thats not all, the physics are to die for, watching trucks fly around after being hit with an rpg hasn't been this satisfying since we first laid our eyes on halo. Furthermore, the way buildings just kink to one side as they fall down realistically, and the airstrikes? Thats another story, I'll save it for later.

So, you have your mission, you got the location, you got your balls, you got your carbine and your rpg, so I tab into the blackmarket with my pda and buy me a truck off the Korean Mafia, complete with mounted machine gun. I throw a smoke beacon, a minute later I hear the whirring of a choppers wings, steadily whirling in with a truck swinging around hanging from the magnetic winch at the bottom, dropping to the floor, chassis bouncing down towards the wheels representing suspension.

Theres so much attention to detail, I can't go into it all else I'd be hear all day, so then, you find yourself cutting across landscapes through roadblocks and warring factions all in their own battles... some of them your allies, do you help? Of course you do! Get out and ACTUALLY RUN around to the back of the truck to climb up and mount the machine gun, dropping a few Chinese and throwing the battle in favor of the North Korean faction who you are currently working for... needless to say, weapons from the chinese now cost you a ****load more money...

It is then you realise another avatar on the map, an optional part of the mission, the ability to bribe one of the other Factions to turn on who you are about to attack to give you artillary support when you get there...

You can then call in airstrikes and supply drops during the battle and the effects are stunning, it has never been so satisfying in a game to just sit back and watch... taking in what during play you may overlook, what is, truly, genuinely, aesthetically gratitious and pleasing.

I give it, 5 POWWW's out of 5

Best thing to come from the xbox... I have never really had any desire to play Halo 2 any longer than the 2 hours I did, this Mercenaries, definatley the true top don XBOX game...

If you have an xbox ladies and gentlemen, you must own this.

i have been playin this badash since 4 days now.. awesome gfx and gameplay.. thats all i have to say.

btw Rahul never heard of XBOX's being introduced in India.. do u have a modded unit? Visit Gaffar Market i think it should be there already :ninja: