Couple Powerbook questions

I'm thinking of getting a Powerbook at some point in the future, and since this would be my first Mac, I've got a couple of questions.

1. How does OSX handle memory managment? I've got 1GB of RAM in my PC laptop; would I need more or less for comparable performance?

2. The model I'm looking at is the 12" one since all I want is something small I can take to class (my current laptop is a 17" desktop replacement) to take notes on and browse the Internet. Is this a good choice, or should I be looking at something else?

3. When is the new OSX (Tiger, right?) coming out? I'll probably wait until that comes out so it'll be pre-installed on my laptop.

4. What's the easiest way to migrate files from a PC to a Mac? I'm talking about stuff like Word documents, pictures, movies, music, etc...

5. Are there any must-have accessories that I should look into purchasing?

Thanks!

Hi there, I actually own a 12" PowerBook, so I'll try my best with your questions.

1. Very well! I have 768MB and it's not very often that all of it actually gets used, only if I've got 12+ applications open with a few big ones in there that it takes all of it up. Recommend 512 or 768 depending on your budget. Remember: you can put it your own, but you void the warranty! OS X does love RAM though. The current 12" PowerBook has 256MB built-in, you have one space left.

2. The only thing about the 12" is that you can't have the keyboard that lights up, you have a slightly slower processor and a slightly pants graphics card compared to the 15 and 17 inch. But, for a first Mac it's ideal and really there aren't many problems. It has 64MB of video memory, so plenty to play games and handle large graphics.

3. March-ish most people are saying. Tiger is it and it will be amazing! However, they might also update the PowerBook to a G5 processor about that time - so keep an eye out.

4. Basic networking will do, or Firewire if your PC has it. You can buy a cross-over cable, plug one end into your PowerBook and the other into your PC and then you can transfer files at a happy 100 mbps.

5. Mouse, mouse, mouse, mouse. Get a mouse. Track pads, are, without exception, pants. PowerBooks have built-in Bluetooth, so any Bluetooth mouse is a good idea. I have the Apple Wireless Mouse and it's a real pleasure to use. Lots of people have a problem loosing their right-mouse button, but really, you don't use it all too often on a Mac in most applications. I also have the Apple Wireless Keyboard to set it off that bit further. The difference for me is that my PowerBook is my only computer, so I like a nice keyboard to type on when I get home. You can of course get the wired versions of both of those for a cheaper price.

Microsoft Office is rubbish compared to iWork; Office is buggy, annoying to use (large lack of keyboard shortcuts) and is the only application to crash on me since I got my PowerBook last September. Get iWork unless you really, really, really, really want Excel.

Hope that helps!

1. OSX does REALLY well managing memory, though it likes to have more memory than XP does. I have 768mb and that seems to be the sweet spot price/performance wise. I have a friend who has 2 gigs in his powerbook though and that is superawesome.

2. I love the 12" powerbook. Its not great for gaming or heavy editing but for light stuff and day-to-day use its perfect. Expose makes the smaller screensize totally managable.

3. Tiger should be out sometime in Q2 this year I think.

4. I burnt all my stuff to DVDs cuz I sold my PC before my Mac arrived, but you can also just connect them via ethernet (macs automatically switch to cross-over so you can use any ethernet cable you want) and transfer that way. You can also boot your powerbook into target disk mode (it acts like an external HD, just hold down "t" on startup) if you have a firewire port on your PC and transfer that way.

5. The only accesory I bought was a marware 12" sleeve and I got a briefcase style case from work. I also use my trusty Intelimouse Explorer 3.0 :yes:

Current powerbooks were just EOLed the other day so maybe next week or the week after we'll be seeing new ones :yes: so go ahead and order one up then. Or you could wait for Tiger/G5s but that might be a while yet.

2. The model I'm looking at is the 12" one since all I want is something small I can take to class (my current laptop is a 17" desktop replacement) to take notes on and browse the Internet. Is this a good choice, or should I be looking at something else?

585334060[/snapback]

Have you considered an iBook? It's much more affordable. ;)

Have you considered an iBook? It's much more affordable. ;)

585334966[/snapback]

I have, but I have to admit... I think the titanium look of the Powerbook just kicks ass. I'm such a consumer ######! :laugh:

Everybody else, thanks for the information! It may still be a little while before I make the purchase, but when I do, I know all this advice will come in handy. :)

Thanks again!

I have, but I have to admit... I think the titanium look of the Powerbook just kicks ass. I'm such a consumer ######!  :laugh:

Everybody else, thanks for the information! It may still be a little while before I make the purchase, but when I do, I know all this advice will come in handy. :)

Thanks again!

585335461[/snapback]

They're not titanium anymore they're aluminum. Helps with wireless reception and disapates heat much better (Y) Though it can warp, but thats usually not a problem.

iBooks are pretty sweet machines but they cant match up to a powerbook :no:

One point to note, is that on the 12 inch power books you are limited to one memory expansion slot, so choose wisely. 1gb ram is over priced, I have both the 12 and 15 inch 2004 G4 powerbooks. The graphics are a bit sluggish especially when playing games like C&C generals.

I bought a 512 stick for my 12"PB for ?49, it flys for every day things. Also invest if you can and get a dvd burner built in.

If you can wait out, as generally when apple release new os's you get 10% off in stores on the day in the past, now there is one in the UK, saves me going to the states.

I recently purchased my wife an ibook 12", 1.2Ghz, wifi/BT/80GB HDD, 768Ram and Superdrive from a company in the UK, all with the standard apple warrenrty and care from them selves, as they are apple resellers.

5. Mouse, mouse, mouse, mouse. Get a mouse. Track pads, are, without exception, pants. PowerBooks have built-in Bluetooth, so any Bluetooth mouse is a good idea. I have the Apple Wireless Mouse and it's a real pleasure to use. Lots of people have a problem loosing their right-mouse button, but really, you don't use it all too often on a Mac in most applications. I also have the Apple Wireless Keyboard to set it off that bit further. The difference for me is that my PowerBook is my only computer, so I like a nice keyboard to type on when I get home. You can of course get the wired versions of both of those for a cheaper price.

2 button mice work fine, right clicking does just the same in OSX as in XP.

Remember: you can put it your own, but you void the warranty! OS X does love RAM though.

This is not true, you will not void your warranty by installing an extra stick of RAM.