Silicon Insider: R.I.P. Microsoft?

I haven't read the whole article... but Microsoft is currently buying many companies and is into MANY MANY projects.

True, Longhorn has been delayed, SP2 has been delayed, MSN Messenger 7 has been delayed, but I doubt Microsoft will be dead within at least the next 10 years...

I think this dude its crazy , this kind of article are the one that make companies collapse, he dont know **** about economics for what i am seeing..He says HP is Doomed because the let gho their CEO(Carly f.) BUT THIS HAPPEN TO MANY MANY COMPANIES..and they are not Dead. Apple fired Jobs years ago..and now , after he come back its even stronger...So his gut lie...i smell he is some kind of alarmist or open source groupy..If u read the article carefully.He did not base his toughts in any Seriuos study,just in its guts..A company wich makes 3.2 Billion Profit in 3 months does not Die just for tha sake of Dying..Come on they have a 30% net profit, that means the keep 30 cents of every dollar of Income..

this is nonsense

i thought MS was already dead? no?

this is jkz man..i can see google grow and try to hurt MS..but thats in next 5 years or so..and has alot to do with how Longhorn will performs...with XBOX...mobie products...servers...anti virus programs...hardwares....watches...MS is only growing...

people will continue to pay for windows they arent going to die. Who is going to challenge them in the OS market? Linux? Linux lacks innovation. Apple? Apple could really make a move with the new mac mini idea. Make it more affordable to normal consumers. Either way Microsoft is here to stay.

The article's full of rubbish.

Its full of factual inaccuracies as well.

He claims Linux and Firefox claim people's imagination. However, there has been no widespread adoption of LInux on desktops in any major corporation and only a haphazard very-long-winded move in Munich from Windows to Suse. Meanwhile, Firefox has no tools for allowing corporate rollout and administration and has had virtually zero move into the corporate market.

He claims College kids no longer dream of working at Microsoft. However, according to the facts and figures that Ballmer presented the investors last year, 80% of people who had dual offers from IBM and Microsoft chose Microsoft, over 50% who had dual offers from Microsoft and Google chose Microsoft and Microsoft was far and away top in terms of most sought-after employer in surveys of undergraduates.

He wonders why when he was talking to hardware manufacturers, why another hardware manufacturer (HP) was being talked about but Microsoft, whose only hardware product is the X-Box, wasn't being talked about. Funny that.

And to back it all up, he boasts about his psychic ability in predicting Fiorina at HP would be a disaster. Oh, very good. But wait, what about his other predictions? Like, for instance, his claim in 2000 that Apple was dead. Where's the boast about that?

lol no microsoft will only get bigger. you see there is a difference between liking something and it being good. lots of people dont like microsoft(for bad reasons IMO) but they make way too much software to go out of business. you know in the last quarter microsoft made $4 billion after tax and half of that came from office. yes not windows in fact they dont make a lot of money out of windows $0.5 billion tops in a quarter. if everyone stopped using windows even then they would do fine. they will be around for a long time yet. although you would imagine a company cant be around forever.... or can they?

Microsoft will fade away and die.

The question is when.

Will it be 5 years from now? Or 50?

Nothing lasts forever. The Roman Empire was thought to be eternal. But it rotted and crumbled, and exists now only in history books, artifacts and ruins.

Whatever takes the new lead in the computing world will also have a limited tenure. Such is the nature of the business.

Comments on "Linux crap" are laughable. They show a blindness that not even Microsoft share. At least Microsoft realizes that the small and always-evolving Linux is perhaps the biggest single threat they have ever faced. Microsoft can fight corporations. They can subvert, buy and push them around. Not so with Linux.

Well theres nothing better to take over from Microsoft especially not Linux crap.

585457759[/snapback]

You've never heard of Apple?

Back onto the topic, I think Microsoft has a huge future ahead of them. The recent buzz against them is due to the fact that they're products and ethics are out of touch with the rest of the world. Open source is cool and while most companies would prefer it be the opposite Microsoft are just going to have to make their products better in order for people to take notice and have a reason to purchase them.

The current state of windows isn't looking good for them either. They've been pushed back and not being able to do what they want with the OS because of the security risk's they've been faced with.

Dead in 5 years no, people will be stilling using win95 then.

Microsoft will fade away and die.

The question is when.

Will it be 5 years from now?  Or 50?

Nothing lasts forever.  The Roman Empire was thought to be eternal.  But it rotted and crumbled, and exists now only in history books, artifacts and ruins.

585457909[/snapback]

When Roman Empire fell, the age that followed it is called the Dark Ages. What happens if MS will fall?

Actually Microsoft was picked by WIRED magazine, as one of the hottest company to work at, along with Google, EA, Dreamworks and Nike. (January issue)

So much for "Silicon Insider". :p

That article just made me laugh. I agree with an earlier comment that he is probably an open source member who hopes one day Microsoft will fall - too bad they won't. Markjensen, you say nothing lasts forever? Well, Intel has been around about 20 years longer than Microsoft and they are still around and no signs of closing down. You just cannot compare a Roman Empire to a company since a company cannot get invaded and attacked by another civilization ;)

Linux challenging Windows? That's like saying Kia will challenge a Bentley.

lol no microsoft will only get bigger. you see there is a difference between liking something and it being good. lots of people dont like microsoft(for bad reasons IMO) but they make way too much software to go out of business. you know in the last quarter microsoft made $4 billion after tax and half of that came from office. yes not windows in fact they dont make a lot of money out of windows $0.5 billion tops in a quarter. if everyone stopped using windows even then they would do fine. they will be around for a long time yet. although you would imagine a company cant be around forever.... or can they?

585457894[/snapback]

Actually most of it came from efficiency gains and cutting benifits. They actually made less on Windows too.

Microsoft will never die, if u don't know dude but Microsoft is the most powerful company in the entire world, they will never have a bankrupcy case, they have money to supply the entire world