Portrait Mode: Coming in Tiger

Because linking to their site is hard, I'll just reproduce it here. Source is Hardmac.com.

Thanks to Jean-Marc for this info which will for sure makes many readers happy.
I am just coming back from Nexpo 2005 ( http://www.naa.org/newspapers05) and Apple had a small booth, but a huge impact! Indeed, commercial ad for iPod Shuffle were present everywhere in the city, and picture of the Shuffle were everywhere in the show room. Software developers like to attract potential consumers with some fashion present when you are attending a demo... and without competition the "hottest" present was for sure the iPod.

At Apple booth, Cinema displays were of course getting most of the attention.

Many users from publishing companies are dreaming of a rotating monitor that could be in a horizontal or vertical orientation depending if they work on a more portrait-, or landscape-type of document. It would be perfect for broadsheet editing and preview. Apple had of course a solution which was the main attraction: a rotating support from a third party company which could be adapted to Apple Cinema Display, and in the preview of Tiger, there is the option in the Cinema HD display menu to set the angle of your monitor.

Some professional users were waiting for years for such a device. It will not be necessary anymore to invest into a Radeon graphic card to enjoy rotating your display the way you want it.

Now, I don't know if this is built in through the developer of the swiveling arm for the Cinema Displays or if it's built into Tiger, but either way, this is the mount you'll probably want for your Cinema.

Updated again...

rota1.jpg

rota2.jpg

rota3.jpg

Edited by Bling3k12

WOW! An excellent feature! Do you think that Apple are experimenting with Tablet PCs, or are they just doing it especially for the cinema display?

585665557[/snapback]

There is many monitors out there that already swivel. Mac OS X simply lacked the ability to make use of it. Most PC video cards will support rotated display resolutions.

Likely they're just doing it for the huge publishing crowd that uses OS X. It doesn't serve much purpose for anyone else really.

It would be useful and its likely that we see Steve Jobs mention this like PCs never had this feature and Apple invented it - but - does it only work with Apple's Cinema Displays? If it is only the Apple ones, that would suck. :(

It would be useful and its likely that we see Steve Jobs mention this like PCs never had this feature and Apple invented it - but - does it only work with Apple's Cinema Displays? If it is only the Apple ones, that would suck. :(

585667573[/snapback]

I think there are two things being introduced here.

1. A 3rd party product that allows the Apple Cinema Display to rotate 360 degrees.

2. A software update to Mac OS X (probably being introduced into Tiger) that will rotate your desktop.

As for number 2, this basically moves the rotation technology from graphics driver to the OS.

Looks really nice. I'm sure they tried it a while back with PC screens, but it was never popular.

I think there are two things being introduced here.

1. A 3rd party product that allows the Apple Cinema Display to rotate 360 degrees.

2. A software update to Mac OS X (probably being introduced into Tiger) that will rotate your desktop.

As for number 2, this basically moves the rotation technology from graphics driver to the OS.

585667600[/snapback]

Cheers for that, kinda go confused reading the quotes :wacko:

585667573[/snapback]

No, Steve Jobs probably won't say it, but I don't think Windows has actually had a built-in screen rotation utility anyway. It's always been up to the graphics driver. Tiger is putting this into the OS, so yes, this is a step forward.

No, Steve Jobs probably won't say it, but I don't think Windows has actually had a built-in screen rotation utility anyway. It's always been up to the graphics driver. Tiger is putting this into the OS, so yes, this is a step forward.

585667622[/snapback]

It doesn't need one anyways. On PCs, both the Radeon and Geforce drivers have rotation support.

It doesn't need one anyways. On PCs, both the Radeon and Geforce drivers have rotation support.

585681144[/snapback]

Integrated Graphics.

Not everyone has a graphics card per-say.

Integrated Graphics.

Not everyone has a graphics card per-say.

585681149[/snapback]

Oh right, forgot about that. Intel integrated graphics have it too.