Need help with Adblock

Hey, I just installed Adblock for Firefox 1.04 and I have a question about a couple of features. I have everything enabled except two features: Obj-Tabs and Site Blocking. Should I enable these features or are they unnecessary? What do these features do?

Hey, I just installed Adblock for Firefox 1.04 and I have a question about a couple of features. I have everything enabled except two features: Obj-Tabs and Site Blocking. Should I enable these features or are they unnecessary? What do these features do?

585979477[/snapback]

Go here: http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/

Get the latest date for the filters.

Find all the info here: http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/settings.txt

objtab will give you tab on top of elements like flash so its easliy blockable although it gets anoying after a while. site blocking is if you permanently want to block a site

Go here:  http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/

Get the latest date for the filters.

Find all the info here:  http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/settings.txt

585979507[/snapback]

That list bogs Firefox, there's just too much. I'm using a shorter list with better filter entries, and it doesn't slow things down. I don't remember where I got them, but here they are.

adblock.txt

adblock1.txt

filterset g is basically those, those are just longer while filterset puts them together

adblock.txt is 12kb while the ones on tech site are 4kb, i doubt they will slow them down

filterset g is basically those, those are just longer while filterset puts them together

adblock.txt is 12kb while the ones on tech site are 4kb, i doubt they will slow them down

585980225[/snapback]

That's a good point, I didn't even notice. The last time I tried one of those lists though, it bogged everything down. I don't claim to know why, it just did. *shrug*

as good as preceive's list is, I find it still limited, ofcourse my list isnt perfect, but it includes a lot of extras that perceive doesnt include.

hey thanks, i needed a static file :D

585980885[/snapback]

I found adblock-plus kinda buggy, the hack sorta works fine, but adblock-plus needs a little work. The filename will remain static however :)

:pinch: I just realized why I thought Filterset.G made Firefox slower. I appended it to my current filter list list (adblock.txt appended with adblock1.txt), without thinking about it. That must've been it. But those two together work fine, I hardly ever see an ad. If I do, I just create a custom filter.

I found adblock-plus kinda buggy, the hack sorta works fine, but adblock-plus needs a little work. The filename will remain static however :)

585980978[/snapback]

I just installed the hacked copy of Adblock Plus, but there's no Adblock item in the Tools menu, and the options button in the Extensions menu is greyed out. What's with that?

I just installed the hacked copy of Adblock Plus, but there's no Adblock item in the Tools menu, and the options button in the Extensions menu is greyed out. What's with that?

585981042[/snapback]

tools menu should be there, try uninstalling first, restart firefox, save the .xpi to your hdd, and drag&drop into your extensions window. I'm running the hacked copy without too many issues.

tools menu should be there, try uninstalling first, restart firefox, save the .xpi to your hdd, and drag&drop into your extensions window. I'm running the hacked copy without too many issues.

585983401[/snapback]

I did exactly that, but it didn't work. I reinstalled Adblock Plus afterward, and it did the same thing. It might have conflicted with SessionSaver somehow, my saved session didn't load after the installation. I ended up restoring a backup of my profile. Ah well.

I did exactly that, but it didn't work. I reinstalled Adblock Plus afterward, and it did the same thing. It might have conflicted with SessionSaver somehow, my saved session didn't load after the installation. I ended up restoring a backup of my profile. Ah well.

585983444[/snapback]

does the official adblock-plus client work? or has the same results as my hacked copy?

That list bogs Firefox, there's just too much. I'm using a shorter list with better filter entries, and it doesn't slow things down. I don't remember where I got them, but here they are.

adblock.txt

adblock1.txt

585980211[/snapback]

You could condense

/ad.*\.aureate\.com/
/ad.*\.radiate\.com/
/ad\.adsmart\.net/
/ad\.adtraq\.com/
/ad\.altavista\.*\.com:80\/ad_image/
/ad\.centrum\.cz/
/ad\.contentzone\.com/
/ad\.doubleclick\./
/ad\.erektor\.ru/
/ad\.freefind\.com/
/ad\.infoseek\.com/
/ad\.ir\.ru/
/ad\.jetsoftware\.com/
/ad\.kgb\.cz/
/ad\.linksynergy\.com/
/ad\.linksynergy\.com\//
/ad\.preferences\.com/
/ad\.sales\.olympics\.com\//
/ad\.seznam\.cz/
/ad\.tomshardware\.com/
/ads\.1for1\.com\//
/ads\.adflight\.com/
/ads\.antionline\.com/
/ads\.clickagents\.com/
/ads\.enliven\.com/
/ads\.fairfax\.com\.au\//
/ads\.icq\.com/
/ads\.imgis\.com/
/ads\.looksmart\.com/
/ads\.netmechanic\.com/
/ads\.ngenuity\.com/
/ads\.ninemsn\.com\.au/
/ads\.opticlik\.net/
/ads\.smartclicks\.com/
/ads\.targetnet\.com/
/ads\.v3exchange\.com/
/ads\.web\.aol\.com/
/ads\.x10\.com/

which can become.. :)

//ads?\./

as good as preceive's list is, I find it still limited, ofcourse my list isnt perfect, but it includes a lot of extras that perceive doesnt include.

585980800[/snapback]

It is limited somewhat.. but the reason is so there is very very few false positives. His list is the best hands down.

does the official adblock-plus client work? or has the same results as my hacked copy?

585983508[/snapback]

I had Adblock Plus installed before I tried your hacked copy, and had no problems.

I had Adblock Plus installed before I tried your hacked copy, and had no problems.

585984542[/snapback]

ok, try this mozillazine the orginal patch from lymanepp (half way down the page), requries modifying component.js in adblock plus xpi.