MPAA and RIAA Thwart CD/DVD Replication Plant

The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) continues its pursuit of physical piracy in California, this time in conjunction with the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America.) The MPAA and RIAA assisted the Southern California High Tech Task Force with technical information in the temporary shut down of New Century Media Corporation.

According to the joint MPAA and RIAA press release, the raid yielded a substantial amount of pirated material - 30 million dollars worth of stampers and DVDs to be exact. The MPAA and RIAA were tipped off to New Century Media from a previous raid that contained DVDs from his manufacturer. The raid, conducted on June 15, resulted in the temporary shut down of this facility.

"These sophisticated replicators have the potential to churn out one counterfeit disc every three seconds. The raid on New Century Media Corporation sends a clear message to movie pirates that these illegal activities are not invisible and they do have consequences," said John Malcolm, Senior Vice President and Director, Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations, MPAA. "The MPAA appreciates the efforts of the Southern California High Tech Task Force in bringing down this illegal operation."

While many might be quick to lump New Century Media into the same category as the hordes of other CD/DVD duplicators, this company appears to be a legitimate firm. New Century Media has a public, widely advertised center of operation in City of Industry, California, with an accompanying website designed to promote their services. According to the company?s website, New Century Media was founded by Carson and Jennifer Yu in 1989.

In addition to its apparent legitimacy, New Century Media has publicly responded to the MPAA/RIAA raid - something virtually no other CD/DVD replication plant has done.

In a press release issued by New Century Media, the CD/DVD replication firm categorically denied all allegations made in the MPAA/RIAA press release.

?We fully cooperated with this investigation because we are a legitimate business that is not involved in any illegal actions," said Jennifer Yu. "The MPAA release falsely claimed that the 'High Tech Task Force stamped out an illegal DVD/CD replicating plant.' This is categorically not true. Our business is to duplicate material for customers who own the copyright and material that is in the public domain. By these false allegations, the MPAA has slandered our name and reputation and damaged the business that my husband and I spent 14 years to build," Yu stated.

Jennifer Yu also disputed the MPAA/RIAA claim that New Century Media is an illegal replication facility.

?New Century Media Corporation is NOT an illegal DVD/CD replicating plant as cited in the release headline. It has been in business since 1989 and reproduces thousands of titles per year. It operates 24/7 with a daily capacity of 80,000 DVDs. DVDs taken by the Task Force represent LESS than 1/10th of 1% (0.058%) of annual production.?

The company also disputes the MPAA/RIAA claim that the facility was ?closed.? According to Jennifer Yu, this is a continuation of ?false allegations?, as the plant was operational even after the raid.

?New Century Media Corporation was NOT closed down as stated in the MPAA release and again in a quote from Senior Vice President John Malcolm. The High Tech Task Force permitted production to start again immediately.?

New Century Media?s Jennifer Yu also disputes other key points from the MPAA press release, including the claim that 30 million dollars worth of DVDs were confiscated. Ms. Yu contends the total financial reaping was more along the lines of $10,000. Which side is being truthful in this matter is unclear, as both entities have very polarized viewpoints on how events unfolded June 15th.

Update: Slyck.com spoke with the MPAA's public relations, who issued the following additional information. Because this is a criminal investigation, information available is limited.

"The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. today provided additional information on the raid by the Southern California High Tech Task Force of New Century Media in the City of Industry, California, reported by it yesterday. MPAA understands that New Century Media reopened following the completion of the raid on June 15 and remains open for business."

"The $30 million estimated loss figure associated with this raid, provided in MPAA's June 20 press release, represents an estimate of the value of the DVDs seized during that raid and the value of the pirated DVDs that could be produced using the DVD stampers seized by law enforcement authorities during the raid."

SlyckThoughts? :unsure:

stuff like this is what should be gone after (assuming what they are doing is truly illegal)... not people who download movies because they can't afford to pay $10 to see a movie that looks good and then turns out to be a load of crap every other week... and they wonder why movie sales are down...

the value of the pirated DVDs that could be produced using the DVD stampers seized by law enforcement authorities during the raid."

This quote struck me. I interpret this as the MPAA saying this equipment COULD produce this monetary value IF they wanted to. So that to me says that they did not actually confiscate that amount in pirated material, but they could have if the equipment were actually used to produce it. I tend to side with the business on this one. Nowhere in the release did the MPAA or RIAA disclose what was confiscated. They just seemed to have pulled numbers from the air.

Jeez, once again the MPAA/RIAA are just going after anybody without even bothering to see if they're doing anything illegal. The replication plant sounds a lot more respectable and legitimate than the people raiding them.

If only they went to the streets of China and Malaysia and seize their factories. That's where piracy really hits, not on BitTorrent and P2P.

I hope these are the jerks that sold me a pirated Studio Ghibli box set. They should burn.

Heck, I even called and emailed the MPAA, but never got a response. How do you like that?

*sigh* I'm going to wander down to China town after work and pick up a copy of Appleseed for $2.00 (that's right, two Canadian dollars).

586103478[/snapback]

This film has an AMAZING soundtrack. I'm not into anime in the least, but wow, what tunes.

This film has an AMAZING soundtrack.  I'm not into anime in the least, but wow, what tunes.

586103566[/snapback]

There's one or two tracks that are alright, IMO - the movie itself was decent...the story isn't new, that's for sure, but the look and feel of the movie was rather enjoyable. It's crisp, pretty, and will look great when it is projected onto my wall ;)

This quote struck me.  I interpret this as the MPAA saying this equipment COULD produce this monetary value IF they wanted to.  So that to me says that they did not actually confiscate that amount in pirated material, but they could have if the equipment were actually used to produce it.  I tend to side with the business on this one.  Nowhere in the release did the MPAA or RIAA disclose what was confiscated.  They just seemed to have pulled numbers from the air.

586103430[/snapback]

yes, if you haven't noticed, they do this with their statistics of how much piracy costs the industry. They tie in a lot of "well this COULD happen"

plus, more money sounds so much worse, just their own press hyping it to scare the public

I think with the digital copyright law, MPAA/RIAA are like goons from any mafia family. There's also another twist to their fortune cookie..Fair use laws as well. you ARE under fair usage laws, allowed to make a "backup" copy of a CD to protect the original. But the millienium copyright law states that if I wanted to copy a DVD to protect my original for my own use, that during copying, the cracking of the DVD's copyprotection just there alone makes me in breach of the law. So..IMO these copyright laws break the law to my fair usage. But the big money people will always win.

AS with DVD's; some of the crap they release to the public movie wise isn't worth a crap. there haven't been any REAL blockbusters in the past several years. I know there have been some good money making movies, but nothing stellar of blockbustership.

AS with CD's; I don't buy many of them as I like classic rock myself. But I like listening to my music. Bands these days don't interest me..but that's just me.

how much are you willing to pay for it? ;)~

586104236[/snapback]

Pay? Come on, people don't pay for things nowadays, didn't you know that? :p

Sounds like an over-exageration by the MPAA/RIAA in its press release, which they need to accomplish to try and instill the Gestapo fear into people.

Pay?  Come on, people don't pay for things nowadays, didn't you know that? :p

586104257[/snapback]

is a retailer somewhere handing out free computer hardware??

If only they went to the streets of China and Malaysia and seize their factories.  That's where piracy really hits, not  on BitTorrent and P2P.

586103516[/snapback]

Who's going to allow a few rowdy American MPAA/RIAA businessmen roam around the streets of China trying to shut down stores without a fight? If ever word spread that they came with the police, all of the stores would pretend to be closed.

its companies like this that are so rich they can pay off a corrupt government and make strikes without any proof at all. its pathetic. no im sure theyll add that payoff into the statistic of money they lose to piracey. when in fact its because of ther eown stupidity. i swear i have no idea how the mpaa or riaa got to where they are today with the geniuses running it now.