Update problems in Fedora

thanks, also when i try and use the up2date thing i get this eror after downloading, what does it mean, how can i fix it

post-69863-1119180998_thumb.jpg

try removing your ATI drivers, then trying again. xorg will kill the drivers anyway, so you'll have to remove them sooner or later. sooner seems to be better :D

@Spyker

use yum

when I used fedora I always found that update thing to not work

do man yum for more info

there is also and unoffical faq for fedora google that.

ok complete linux noob, what is yum and how do i uninstall the ati drivers, lol, damm to used to windows

586088080[/snapback]

Hmmm..

Not knowing what your system is set up like at the moment, try doing this at a terminal:

su

(then enter root password)

yum update

Then let it do it's thing. If it fails, please post the failure text, and a copy of your /etc/yum.conf file here, and someone should be able to figure it out.

It's been a while, but the first time you run yum, it might complain about needing to set up GPG keys or something...

ok complete linux noob, what is yum and how do i uninstall the ati drivers, lol, damm to used to windows

586088080[/snapback]

It's OK. You're allowed to be a Linux noob. You've got more geek points than Windows users just for trying it out :p

yum is pretty much the same thing as up2date, but from the terminal. Users have been having problems with up2date ever since it was invented. The GUI on it would always crash, or just plain hang. So you'd get left with a useless window, not knowing what was going on with your update.

To remove the ATI driver, depending on which way you installed it. If you used yum, then you can always go yum remove fglrx. That's pretty much how it works with all rpm packages.

Or, you can go rpm -e fglrx and then rpm -e fglrx-kernel-*

And obviously, make sure you're doing it as root. So type 'su', and then enter your root password. You'll know it worked because the prompt will start with a #, instead of a $

then what drivers to install, i heard there are some modded drivers for linux made by X, could you suggest something. and yum command from the terminal faild and so i will post the error in a min if you are looking i will edit this post in about 10 mins

ok yum update gave me this error

Install 0 Package(s)

Update 46 Package(s)

Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 139 M

Is this ok [y/N]: y

Downloading Packages:

Running Transaction Test

Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error: file /usr/X11R6/lib64/libGL.so.1.2 from install of xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-37 conflicts with file from package fglrx64_6_8_0-8.14.13-1

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-37 conflicts with file from package fglrx64_6_8_0-8.14.13-1

and those commands to remove the ATI drivers didnt work, so im pretty stuck but loving linux.

edit: ok looking over that it looks like i installed the ATI drivers worng or something but i carnt remove them as stated above

spyker