Superprefetch

This was on the inquirer site

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24749

The only reason why its faster (windows longhorn) is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn

EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

snakeye

[At your own risk, Ed.]

Anyone know if this works? I'm unwilling to be the first to try!

How did you do it? Is it create new binary then label it superfetch and value it at 1 or is it just change enableprefetcher value to 1? An as shadow said did it speed anything up?

586246642[/snapback]

Create a new DWORD and set the value to 1.

How did you do it? Is it create new binary then label it superfetch and value it at 1 or is it just change enableprefetcher value to 1? An as shadow said did it speed anything up?

You'd have to be quite deluded to think this actually works. You think microsoft coded this and then didn't tell us? No.

There's also another, lengthy, thread already.

no difference AT ALL. My xp pro SP2 had the value in at "3" by default and I changed to 1 then rebooted.

I played some CSS and noticed my CSS wa sacting all gay, trying to hump my leg with lag and whatnot.

I reverted back to 3 and rebooted then played same server again, no lag.

This setting was enabled in Longhorn at value 1 for a reason. Not because they wanted XP users t suffer....

Here is a new one:

EnableMEGAfetch = 1

this is not from Longhorn, it's from the version after Longhorn (Windows 2010).

this one is even better than Superfetch, look it's MEGA !

[Kidding] Try this at your own risk and report here how much speed you gain :) [/Kidding]

no difference AT ALL. My xp pro SP2 had the value in at "3" by default and I changed to 1 then rebooted.

I played some CSS and noticed my CSS wa sacting all gay, trying to hump my leg with lag and whatnot.

This setting was enabled in Longhorn at value 1 for a reason. Not because they wanted XP users t suffer....

586246680[/snapback]

You didn't follow the instructions. You don't change the current value from 3 to 1, you add a new DWORD and set that to 1. Either way, it doesn't work.

I just wish someone would close these 2 threads about this. Just listening to people ask "Will it work" or "It made me go fasterrrr" is making me angry. Please stop the madness.

Ok..

I've done it, Not restarting yet though - Downloading.

I will let you know how it turns out if this topic is still active when I reset.

Ok..

I've done it, Not restarting yet though - Downloading.

I will let you know how it turns out if this topic is still active when I reset.

586246717[/snapback]

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaagh :argh:

This is beyond insanity.

586246680[/snapback]

You are not supposed to set the value of the existing key. You are supposed to create a new one.

:rolleyes:

i did UltraSuperPrefetch and now my computer is so fast everything happens without me even being able to see it :o My songs play 100 million times faster too and my computer doesnt "reboot" anymore, the screen just flashes it's that fast.

Back to the real world though, i was sad enough to actually time how long things took, and that registry edit done nothing at all. I done multiple reboots so the prefetch data could build up (assuming that would make my boot times faster) and it didn't change one iota. It's a falsehood, it's really that simple.

You are not supposed to set the value of the existing key. You are supposed to create a new one.

:rolleyes:

586248471[/snapback]

Thats EXACTLY why things like this shouldnt be put out into the public. People get all excited about it and try to change system settings by themselves, potentially screwing everything up.

If you have never been in the registry editor before, or do not know what the hell you are doing, don't attempt it and get the hell out of your registry editor.

Unless of course you WANT to feck up your system and not know how to fix it because obviously if you cant figure out regedit, then you wouldnt know any better.