MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer for Windows 2000.

How to make the MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer, Windows 2000 Compatible.

MSN Messenger 7.5 was only supposed to be installed on Windows XP. However, with a little bit of hex editing you can modify the installer so that it will work on Windows 2000.

First you need to download a good Hex Editor, I suggest XVI32 ? extract all files from the zip folder into a convenient folder. Now you need to download and install WinRAR and finally the MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer, remember to save the file do not choose to open the 7.5 installer on successful download.

Go to the place where you have saved the MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer, and open it up with WinRAR.

Once opened, find and extract to a convenient folder, MsnMsgs.msi ? then open up your Hex Editor. Once the Hex Editor is open, go to File >> Open and then open up MsnMsgs.msi.

Now do a text string search for all occurrences of VersionNT >= 501 and then change the code to VersionNT >< 501 (there should be 4 occurances) ? then save the modified MsnMsgs.msi. Now run the modified MsnMsgs.msi and it will install MSN Messenger 7.5 on a Windows 2000 machine.

To download all the files mentioned above, please click here.

I hope this was useful for you.

-- Max Shanly

Edited by Max Shanly

• 3 weeks later...
Great tip, You should add that there will be 4 "VersionNT >= 501" text to change. (edited version 7.5.0311)

586830608[/snapback]

Yeah, I knew I had forgotten something and I know the links are dead at the moment. But that is because I am getting ready to update the tutorial. :)

-- Max

Edited by Max Shanly

• 2 months later...

Hi

I used this on a legal version of windows messenger live 8

it installed perfectly but-

when i run it-

an error comes up-

msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found

X The Procedure entry point SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll.

Please Help

What to do

If you tell me how to run it i will send you an invitation free! ;)

Please help me out

Thanks

Shubhangam

tried this on WLM8 and it worked fine the first time, but wouldnt run the next time - the second time it said "msnmsgr.exe is not a valid win32 executable"

Read the last post on Page 1.

• 3 weeks later...

MSN Messenger 7.5 was only supposed to be installed on Windows XP. However, with a little bit of hex editing you can modify the installer so that it will work on Windows 2000.

First you need to download a good Hex Editor, I suggest XVI32 ? extract all files from the zip folder into a convenient folder. Now you need to download and install WinRAR and finally the MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer, remember to save the file do not choose to open the 7.5 installer on successful download.

Go to the place where you have saved the MSN Messenger 7.5 Installer, and open it up with WinRAR.

Once opened, find and extract to a convenient folder, MsnMsgs.msi ? then open up your Hex Editor. Once the Hex Editor is open, go to File >> Open and then open up MsnMsgs.msi.

Now do a text string search for all occurrences of VersionNT >= 501 and then change the code to VersionNT >< 501 (there should be 4 occurances) ? then save the modified MsnMsgs.msi. Now run the modified MsnMsgs.msi and it will install MSN Messenger 7.5 on a Windows 2000 machine.

-- Max Shanly

I tried this and it installed perfectly but is there a way to get the Voice Clips to work?

I get a message saying "We were unable to run Audio and Video setup at this time"

I can recieve Voice clips but not send any, nor can I voice chat or webcam.

Any h:unsure:nsure:

I tried this and it installed perfectly but is there a way to get the Voice Clips to work?

I get a message saying "We were unable to run Audio and Video setup at this time"

I can recieve Voice clips but not send any, nor can I voice chat or webcam.

Any help? :unsure:

Seems to depend on the Computer. It worked on one installation of Win2k I had, but not on the other.

Hmm... did you check the differences of the computers that you installed them on... like was it a totally different hardware/software setup... or are they basically the same and you have no clue what can be causing the problem?

Hmm... did you check the differences of the computers that you installed them on... like was it a totally different hardware/software setup... or are they basically the same and you have no clue what can be causing the problem?

Totally different hardware setup. Tried it on my Grandfathers PC and my Stepsisters laptop.

I just have a proposal to change the concerned string to "VersionNT >= 401", instead of "VersionNT >< 501",

and I've verified the former, it worked fine.

-- Max Shanly