Some stuff lost in the upgrade

I can name three things that were lost after the forum was upgraded:

• Recently read topics were reset. Now ALL topics are marked as 'unread.'
  • Some recent attachments were lost. Only attachments dating from October (or before that) are retained.
  • Subscribed topics were lost.

These aren't major problems, but they are sightly annoying.

Recently read topics were reset. Now ALL topics are marked as 'unread.'

This was because IPB changed how it tracked read topics from a cookie on your computer to a table in our database. However, this is *really* good because now topic read information is 100% accurate. And it works between different computers. So, no more bugs related to that. If you've read it, it *will* be marked as read.

Some recent attachments were lost. Only attachments dating from October (or before that) are retained.

Marcel will have to comment on that, as he copied all that stuff over (9.2GB!). I rsynced everything between our two frontend servers, so if there is a break of NFS connectivity between the two, you won't see a lot of missing attachments like how it used to be.

Subscribed topics were lost.

Bug in the upgrader. However, we're well past that, so there's nothing we can do to fix it at this point. You'll just have to re-subscribe.

tim, theres another issue with the attachments - attachments for IPB 2.1 bug threads have been assigned to random posts throughout the forum. i assume its an ID mixup from merging them with the rest of the forum.

this may also have overwritten other attachments.

FYI ive just sorted through all of my own attachments and removed all the old ones including the ones that are affected by the above (i didnt bother re-assigning them, they weren't important). ive also reuploaded all my missing attachments.

This was because IPB changed how it tracked read topics from a cookie on your computer to a table in our database. However, this is *really* good because now topic read information is 100% accurate. And it works between different computers. So, no more bugs related to that. If you've read it, it *will* be marked as read.

Good, that used to tick me off. :D

Great, that was very annoying.

Nice to hear about that. I did notice that bug on a few occasions.

Don't know if this is a bug or a user changeable option, but all post times are in 24 hour format. Us North Americans like times in 12 hour format. ;)

Another request (I don't consider this a bug): the RTF editor, when enabled, doesn't work at all with the preview of Opera 9. Though I understand the browser is still in the preview stage (and thus buggy), I would like RTF support for Opera to be realized sometime in the following months.

Despite that, the RTF editor works quite well under Firefox. :)

Edited by rm20010

Nice to hear about that. I did notice that bug on a few occasions.

Don't know if this is a bug or a user changeable option, but all post times are in 24 hour format. Us North Americans like times in 12 hour format. ;)

Another request (I don't consider this a bug): the RTF editor, when enabled, doesn't work at all with the preview of Opera 9. Though I understand the browser is still in the preview stage (and thus buggy), I would like RTF support for Opera to be realized sometime in the following months.

Despite that, the RTF editor works quite well under Firefox. :)

I thought something about the time was different. I just didn't know what it was. :p

• 2 months later...

Nah. I actually prefer it in the 24 hour format. More logical.