New Trolling law passed

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%...22491&subj=news

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

Yep, goodbye internet, because its not like trolling is a problem or anything.

not to start a "USA vs [input country here]" debate... but god damn..

bush has soooo much more to worry about then whether a couple of e-thugs are bullying someone over the internet... there ARE real wars going on.. jesus

Oh, God, that just gave me a nerdgasm... That might be a big baby step towards cleaning up the internet! Anyone who is about to start arguing with this law, stop whining and take it like a man (or woman). You didn't honestly expect the internet to remain an unpoliced, free crime, no penalty, change-your-identity-every-30-seconds environment for ever, did you?

Dear everybody,

Whatever the **** you like is a load of ****, my opinions on anything are better than yours and if you disagree I'm going to come round your houses and kill your entire family.

Blah Blah Blah

I hate You all.

Lots of Love,

Hotdog963al

Come Fine me Bitches :p

not to start a "USA vs [input country here]" debate... but god damn..

bush has soooo much more to worry about then whether a couple of e-thugs are bullying someone over the internet... there ARE real wars going on.. jesus

not that I agree with what Bush does or says, but most likely he didn't put the stipulation in the bill. It most likely got hidden in there and there was so much other stuff if he didn't sign it into legislation he woulda caught heat for not supporting the main clauses of the act.

The question is will other countries follow the same lead? :wacko:

Although it probally won't, but it's just a thought :whistle:

only in america could such a law be passed.

That is a VERY uneducated comment. The law pretty much states you are not allowed to aggravate someone over the Internet, which is as basic as any sort of rule of conduct can get. Do some research on all of the countries which nationally prohibit chat rooms, messenger programs, and even legitimate news sites, with or without personal attacks. This is a good step for the internet, I hope it takes internationally with time.

only in america could such a law be passed.

Got to love the short sighted,

Lets forget the BAN ON ALL VIDEO GAMES in Greece, and the New Law in Italy that requires all INTERNET caf?s to log all traffic for 2 or 3 years.

This law will not live long, and will be struck down.

:wacko: This is crazy people get annoyed over things all the time online because everyone has different opinions and you are bound to make someone mad if you are online long enough …… there must be some sort of standard of something

this annoys me, now post your real info or get fined!!!!!

:laugh: do your worst

btw - my name is, uhh... John Smith and I live on the moon :whistle: true story :yes:

Oh, God, that just gave me a nerdgasm... That might be a big baby step towards cleaning up the internet! Anyone who is about to start arguing with this law, stop whining and take it like a man (or woman). You didn't honestly expect the internet to remain an unpoliced, free crime, no penalty, change-your-identity-every-30-seconds environment for ever, did you?

Do you know anything about civil liberty laws? How about basic freedoms?

This will be to finally track Bin Laden down, next time he emails George Bush`s father and says "Hi Georgie my old family friend, tell your son hes a dickwad and couldnt score in a barrelful of fannys."

P.S. > Dad says hi and I was wondering if you have any more F16s & M16s for sale & some more Sarin. If your Sarin is out of stock could ye ask Tony and his morons if they have it in stock?

Just stick it on the BL tab please and sent to the usual PO box.

Love

Osama xx

<name & address withheld> :shiftyninja:

Id like to see them plant the charge on him then hehehe.

Isnt it in Texas (Georges home state) that there is a law that if the burgler does not state that he plans to enter your house it is seen as illegal? Like DOH

Should be interesting to see how exactly they will police this outwith their jurisdiction (e.g. any server hosted outwith US territory is not covered by US Law). :rofl:

TBH I dont see what difference this will make because here in the UK ISPS have been logging all net traffic since the RIP Bill was passed. Hasnt stopped anything, piracy & abuse of the internet (including scams) are as rife now as they have always have been.

He could do with trying to control drug & gun crime and actually try and reduce deaths by such means before worrying about something as daft as this.

If someone is harassing someone else wether its by telephone, letter or email/chatrooms then yes record what is said and go to the police. His new law wont change the outcome one bit. As far as i know stalking is a crime regardless of medium used to serve the purpose both here in the UK & in the USA.

n3ow1n for the record USA do NOT own the internet they kindly look after it for all to use. ICANN does not "own" it either they have to pay for the right to the position they hold. Granted it may look like they "own" it but believe me they own naff all here in the UK. ;)

Edited by Mando