Windows Vista : 8 Versions Explained

Because choices are good? Or because there would be more money to be milked? Perhaps the victims of having 8 different flavors of Windows Vista are the software vendors, who would have to explain the differences between each edition to their customers.

Here?s a quick rundown of the 8 product editions:Windows Starter 2007b> - This edition does not include the Aero graphical user interface, hence it?s not Vista-branded. And there?s no 64-bit edition, no networking, no Fast User Switching, no DVD Authoring, no gaming common controller support, and no image editing with enhanced touchup, and only three applications/windows are allowed to run simultaneously. Good only for really basic users with low budgWindows Vista Home Basicic - This is the true baseline version of Windows Vista; think Windows XP Home Edition. You can expect to find features such as Windows Firewall, Windows Search, Photo Library and etc. And every other edition below will be based on this edition. Good for general consumers or even the kWindows Vista Home Basic N N - Same as the Home Basic Edition, but minus the Windows Media Player. This edition is for the Europeans as they have antitrust rulings against Microsoft which does not allow the player to be bundWindows Vista Home Premiumum - This edition includes features such as Media Center Extender support, Cable Card support, DVD authoring and Tablet PC functionality. This edition is best suited for notebooks and networked home desktops, but it?s probably insufficient for the Windows Vista Businessness - Analogous to the Windows XP Professional, this will probably be the most widely used edition in corporate environments. This edition allows joining of domains, non-Microsoft networking (Netware, etc), Remote Desktop and Microsoft Windows Web Server. Most geeks and IT professionals will want to go for this e

Windows Vista Business Nss N - Just like Home Basic N Edition, this one is meant for the Europeans and comes with no media pWindows Vista Enterpriserise - This edition will come with several new features such as Virtual PC, multi-language user interface (MUI) and Secure Startup (BitLocker Drive EncrypWindows Vista Ultimatemate - This one is going to be the most expensive, most feature-packed, and perhaps the most pirated edition of Vista. It?ll include new and unique features such as Game Performance Tweaker, Podcast creation utility, online ?Club? services and privileged product support. This edition will be perfect for Windows fanboys.

So which oneSource

Source: http://www.hiptechblog.com/2006/02/20/its-...-windows-vista/

Is that list definitive? All I read this week was 'OMFG TEH LIST' and then 'Sorry, we have not made up our minds yet'.

Hopefully I will get a new PC couple of months after Vista comes out, and it's going to be between Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.

Assuming of course that Vista Ultimate will be available as an OEM version.

I think the perfect edition for me is Enterprise but that's only for MSDN subscribers and whatnot...

Is that list definitive? All I read this week was 'OMFG TEH LIST' and then 'Sorry, we have not made up our minds yet'.

Supposidly this is the official list + official (short style) feature list.

I'll probably get Windows Vista Home Premium for my family PCs and Vista Ultimate for myself. :D

Windows Vista Ultimate - This one is going to be the most expensive, most feature-packed, and perhaps the most pirated edition of Vista.

LOL, is that what it says on MS's website?

/Me go with ultimate...

As I am a true POWER USER and Geek I can't stance to work on the minor editions...

Just to think about having a "HOME" Windows make me sick... :blink:

Starter edition DOES sound like crap. But if I understand correctly, There will be a single cd/dvd set for ALL editions, so upgrading from "starter" to, say, "home" is easier. You wouldn't have to buy a new box, just buy a new license. I'm sure Microsoft will make it pretty easy to upgrade editions. Hopefully you will only have to pay the difference.

I'm pretty excited about Vista myself. XP is starting to show it's age and I like the new goodies Vista has. I just think it sucks that some of the big features won't be included with it right away, like the new file system.

Starter edition DOES sound like crap. But if I understand correctly, There will be a single cd/dvd set for ALL editions, so upgrading from "starter" to, say, "home" is easier. You wouldn't have to buy a new box, just buy a new license. I'm sure Microsoft will make it pretty easy to upgrade editions. Hopefully you will only have to pay the difference.

I'm pretty excited about Vista myself. XP is starting to show it's age and I like the new goodies Vista has. I just think it sucks that some of the big features won't be included with it right away, like the new file system.

Starter is totaly apart from others editions...

It should NOT took like a Vista "Version"

It will even not sold in any countrys, only poor ones...

No offence, but they should at least make 2 - 3 versions of Vista.

1. Home Based

2. Business Based

3. Gamers Based?

Simple! Effective, and problem sovled.

If a microsoft user read this, and copies this idea, it's copyright! :p

My ideas!

Hows bout make it simple like OS X and have only one version with everything anyone would need :D

But really, 8 is just way too much. I can understand 2 or 3 but 8!?!

So basically this is the list of what you can actually buy with all the crap cleaned out. Will the EU be able to get the non "N" editions?

Windows Vista Home Basic - This is the true baseline version of Windows Vista; think Windows XP Home Edition. You can expect to find features such as Windows Firewall, Windows Search, Photo Library and etc. And every other edition below will be based on this edition. Good for general consumers or even the kids.

Windows Vista Home Premium - This edition includes features such as Media Center Extender support, Cable Card support, DVD authoring and Tablet PC functionality. This edition is best suited for notebooks and networked home desktops, but it?s probably insufficient for the geeks.

Windows Vista Business - Analogous to the Windows XP Professional, this will probably be the most widely used edition in corporate environments. This edition allows joining of domains, non-Microsoft networking (Netware, etc), Remote Desktop and Microsoft Windows Web Server. Most geeks and IT professionals will want to go for this edition.

Windows Vista Enterprise - This edition will come with several new features such as Virtual PC, multi-language user interface (MUI) and Secure Startup (BitLocker Drive Encryption).

Windows Vista Ultimate - This one is going to be the most expensive, most feature-packed, and perhaps the most pirated edition of Vista. It?ll include new and unique features such as Game Performance Tweaker, Podcast creation utility, online ?Club? services and privileged product support. This edition will be perfect for Windows fanboys.

So basically this is the list of what you can actually buy with all the crap cleaned out. Will the EU be able to get the non "N" editions?

Yes, they get the regular XP Home & Pro, too.