Vista Beta 2 Won't Install

I have been trying to install Vista Beta 2 without any success since I got it. I have had this exact same problem with 5365 and 5381. When I "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" the grey loading bar comes up, and after a few passes, it just completely freezes and locks up. I also tried doing an upgrade install, and after going through the part inside XP, it reboots, and again freezes on the progress bar.

My system specs are:

Antec Neopower 480w PSU

AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU

eVGA nForce4 SLI Motherboard

2048MB (512x4) Simpletech Nitro Extreme PC3500 DDR Memory

2x eVGA GeForce 7800GT SLI

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

WD Raptor 150GB 16MB Cache 10,000 RPM SATA HD

Maxtor Diamondmax 250GB 16MB Cache SATA HD

Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache SATA HD

Plextor 712SA SATA DVD/RW

Samsung IDE DVD-ROM

and I have tried the following without success:

Switching to just 1 GPU without SLI

Unplugging all SATA drives except my Raptor

Removing Creative X-Fi

I still have the exact same problem after trying all of that. That grey status bar just moves a few times then freezes.

If anyone has ANY ideas at all, please share. I would really like to get Vista installed, and I'm at a loss for why this is happening. Surely my system is more than adequate to handle it. Thanks

I've had the same problem too. Sometimes is just freeze up during boot installation and other times it just reboots and go back to xp ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.. I can see that this has been asked before but I just have to ask again... when I install vista on my laptop it installs fine... when I install on my desktop it downloads all the new files for installation, copies the files to the windows folder as any install... then says that it needs to reboot and does so... the new vista boot screen comes up just fine then I get the vista background and a FREEZE everytime... or it will reboot and go back to the previous operating system! someone PLEASE help! this has happend with EVERY build of Vista that I have tried to install on my desktop all the way up to 5384.4. Once again PLEASE HELP!

I have been trying to install Vista Beta 2 without any success since I got it. I have had this exact same problem with 5365 and 5381. When I "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" the grey loading bar comes up, and after a few passes, it just completely freezes and locks up. I also tried doing an upgrade install, and after going through the part inside XP, it reboots, and again freezes on the progress bar.

My system specs are:

Antec Neopower 480w PSU

AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU

eVGA nForce4 SLI Motherboard

2048MB (512x4) Simpletech Nitro Extreme PC3500 DDR Memory

2x eVGA GeForce 7800GT SLI

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

WD Raptor 150GB 16MB Cache 10,000 RPM SATA HD

Maxtor Diamondmax 250GB 16MB Cache SATA HD

Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache SATA HD

Plextor 712SA SATA DVD/RW

Samsung IDE DVD-ROM

and I have tried the following without success:

Switching to just 1 GPU without SLI

Unplugging all SATA drives except my Raptor

Removing Creative X-Fi

I still have the exact same problem after trying all of that. That grey status bar just moves a few times then freezes.

If anyone has ANY ideas at all, please share. I would really like to get Vista installed, and I'm at a loss for why this is happening. Surely my system is more than adequate to handle it. Thanks

Try loading BIOS defaults, upgrading bios if possible. I used to have this issue because of misconfigured bios settings.

Already try just using two sticks of RAM, on 939 systems, 4x512MB puts quite a lot of strain on the memory contoller.

Just try 2x512MB and see what happens.

i had something similar with xp a year or two ago that was caused by a bad cdrom/dvdrom. i actually had two that were bad and it wasnt until i tried a third that it actually worked.

• 1 month later...

Still having this same problem with build 5456, I even tried removing one of the video cards, removing the X-fi, no luck , same exact issue.

It's likely that there are simply errors that resulted from the burning process. Next time try using a higher quality DVD and burning at 1x or 2x.

This person is correct. A high percentage of error during Vista installation is caused by either bad media, a faulty drive, a burn rate that is too high, or a combination of any of these. See this article for more information.

Hah! Consider yourself lucky! I installed Vista, over top of XP (I backed it up) which was a damn stupid thing to do! It wouldn't boot from the XP CD, so I couldn't re-install it. I finally got it to boot from the XP CD, install XP, and then it still wouldn't boot normally! Stupid Operating System error, or whatever. Bah! To hell with it. Now I'm stuck with buggy software, that crashes a lot.

There's tools out there to do MD5 checks which you can use first to prevent burning a flawed iso download and also to verify the burned iso is ok. In the case of the older Vista builds - in which the installs often took >60 mins, the iso integrity is something you really wanted to verify before you begin.

If you're burning under Linux using k3b, that app will do the MD5 check for you when the burn is complete.

Ok. In that case boot the dvd to recovery console and see if there are any files/logs on the target drive. You are looking for these:

dxdiag

%windir%\Panther\setupact.log

%windir%\Panther\setuperr.log

%windir%\INF\setupapi.dev.log

%windir%\INF\setupapi.app.log

%windir%\Panther\UnattendGC\setupact.log

Those may give you a hint at what hung.

Ok. In that case boot the dvd to recovery console and see if there are any files/logs on the target drive. You are looking for these:

dxdiag

%windir%\Panther\setupact.log

%windir%\Panther\setuperr.log

%windir%\INF\setupapi.dev.log

%windir%\INF\setupapi.app.log

%windir%\Panther\UnattendGC\setupact.log

Those may give you a hint at what hung.

Can you please elaborate on this step? Boot the DVD to recovery console how? When I click "press any key to boot from CD or DVD", it brings up the blank logo and status bar that says Microsoft 2006, and that is the point where it freezes. It never gives me the option to install Windows, or go into recovery console.

• 2 weeks later...

just out of curiosity, does your motherboard have anything like onboard raid controllers?

Yes it does, but they are disabled as I do not use them. I also have the parallel ports disabled and any other legacy stuff I do not use.