Microsoft Sued over Windows Genuine Advantage

A computer user is suing Microsoft Corp. over the company's Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy tool, alleging that it violates laws against spyware. The suit by Los Angeles resident Brian Johnson, filed this week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, seeks class-action status for claims that Microsoft didn't adequately disclose details of the tool when it was delivered to PC users through the company's Automatic Update system.

Windows Genuine Advantage is designed to check the validity of a computer user's copy of the operating system. But the tool became a subject of heightened controversy earlier this month, after PC users began noticing that it was making daily contact with Microsoft's servers without their knowledge, even if their software was valid.

Full Article at Source

Can ask I why so many people are fretting over this.... If you have a legal copy of Windows, then why worry so much ?

All it's checking is whether Windows a legal or not.....

Ok, fair enough, MS may have done this on the sly, but why worry so much ?

It's not searching your HD for illegal content !

I can't wait to see where this goes. Anything that runs in the backround of my computer without me knowing is something that I don't want. I wish Microsoft would just accept the fact that their software will always be pirated. I do own a legal copy of windows though.

Anything that runs in the backround of my computer without me knowing is something that I don't want.

Then you better throw your PC away.

it would be funny that because he filed the law suite he is found to have an illegal version of windows and has to pay $100,000

I have a legal copy of xp too and tbh i dont care that it calls home, doesnt do me any harm... its not like searching for my personal information

Then you better throw your PC away.

This is what I was thinking - There are alot of things running on your PC without your knowledge, if your that scared, why have a PC in the first place ?

Can ask I why so many people are fretting over this.... If you have a legal copy of Windows, then why worry so much ?

All it's checking is whether Windows a legal or not.....

I can see the voice for concern over this and in one way I do agree with you, but the matter of the fact is Microsoft did not inform their end users of this which is why which has come about in the first place.

Both my OS on my laptop and desktop are all genuine so I do not have a problem.

I think the people who are not running genuine copies are going to get more upset over it because they have something to hide

I think he's just trying to make a quick buck...

most likely, like warwagon said it would be hilarious if his copy isn't genuine

I think the people who are not running genuine copies are going to get more upset over it because they have something to hide

yeah loads of illegal software... :)

Oh and off the topic your link to your forum is showing error 404... just thought i would mention it. :whistle:

it would be funny that because he filed the law suite he is found to have an illegal version of windows and has to pay $100,000

I do not doubt he might be one of them. In this world, you hear weird sh*t happening everyday.

/EZ

Bottom line is that they didn't put it in the EULA. That makes it spyware. There is no denying this. Fact is Microsoft screws everyone else, so now it is their turn. I hope the guy wins.

I dont think its exacly going to the point. I to have a legal copy of Windows, always have, and if MSFT asked me first before starting to contact home i would be happy for it to. Also, if other companies see Microsoft doing it...well does that make this ok? Other companies might just collect personal details and more? Sure it must be hard for software companies to keep track of there software i understand this, but keep looking for a different way MSFT sorry you dont have my support on this one.

I can see the voice for concern over this and in one way I do agree with you, but the matter of the fact is Microsoft did not inform their end users of this which is why which has come about in the first place.

Both my OS on my laptop and desktop are all genuine so I do not have a problem.

Yeah, like I say, Microsoft did make this move on the sly, and although I do not agree with what they did, but for peeps with genuine copy's, they shouldn't have to worry to much - It's not monitoring what you do, all it's monitoring is whether you've paid for your copy of Windows.

Bottom line is that they didn't put it in the EULA. That makes it spyware. There is no denying this. Fact is Microsoft screws everyone else, so now it is their turn. I hope the guy wins.

Did they put Paint in the EULA? It's not spyware... it's more like confirmware... they're just making sure you have a legal copy. There isn't much of a case... how is this actually harming the user's computer, data etc? They're not even getting statistical data off of your computer...

Did they put Paint in the EULA? It's not spyware... it's more like confirmware... they're just making sure you have a legal copy. There isn't much of a case... how is this actually harming the user's computer, data etc? They're not even getting statistical data off of your computer...

This is exactly what i'm trying to say..... They are not gaining anything from what you do with your PC, they are only making sure that you paid for something that they have made !

There isn't much of a case... how is this actually harming the user's computer, data etc?

Doesn't it delete all of your restore points before it installs?

Anything that runs in the backround of my computer without me knowing is something that I don't want.

Without the assistance of google or other sources, provide an intrinsicly detailed desription of each and every one of these processes.

post-42104-1151626602.jpg

Then a detailed description of each and every dll in your system32 folder.

Good luck.

Not that you know of anyway.

most likely, like warwagon said it would be hilarious if his copy isn't genuine

Many people who bought Windows can't get WGA to authenticate, isn't that like "wrong"?

The problem here is not that what WGA does is necessarly bad but users have to be aware, through an EULA or some sort of documentation about what the software is doing. Does it say anywhere that WGA regularly contacts Microsoft? If it doesn't, then he still doesn't stand a chance (cause it's Microsoft) but it doesn't mean he's wrong.