BestBuy nuked my files w/o permission

Actually, it's my friend's files.

I was asked by my friend to pickup her laptop at BestBuy from GeedSquad after she sent it in to fix the broken cdrom. So I went and got it back for her, and naturally, I want to make sure they did fix the cdrom.

I booted the laptop, and shortly Windows XP's initial setup welcome screen came up and prompted to create an account and activate. Something's was wrong here: she mentioned her cdrom was broken, and it doesn't make sense to reinstall Windows to fix a hardware problem. Now I only hope they backed her files up or imaged the drive. At least something that can allow her to retrieve her files.

After I passed the welcome screen and got to the desktop, I went straight to Explorer and try to find any evident of backups.

Yes, you guessed it. Nada, not there. All GONE.

Her hard drive was imaged back to the crappy manufacture XP image loaded with famous junks like AOL and trialwares. They even promised her they won't reinstall Windows before she handed the machine over.

She lost her resume, her applications, and other personal files. It won't take long for her to reload softwares and clean out junks, but her resume and documents are irreplaceable.

I know there are recovery softwares she can try to retrieve files, but I don't know if they'll still work after a complete image of the hard drive. Perhaps some of her files are still intact, but I think luck's not on her side.

I don't understand. How can a company that sells and fixes computers be this irresponsible while handling customer files? Don’t they learn to image the drive before attempting any fix? Also, what's the point of nuking binary bits in attempt to resolve a hardware issue?

Lesson learned? Think twice before you buy anything from BestBuy and let GeekSquad touch your files. Also, always have a backup. You'll never know when someone decides to screw you over.

BestBuy and GeekSquad, you are officially in my hall of shame.

thats why, you buy the cd rom and instal it yourself or find a guide...

Shouldn't have to. I'd be complaining and pushing them for some form of money in compo.

Shouldn't have to. I'd be complaining and pushing them for some form of money in compo.

I'm thinking of the same thing. She should be compensated for her loss. I wonder what kind of bull they'll pull to depend themselve.

if they nuked my pc, i would demand $600 just for all the files missing and songs etc or else take them to court :p

Sorry guys but bestbuy's geek squad policy clearly states that you should back-up all important files prior to sending computers in for repair because data may be wiped or lost at any time. I see it on all the stickers when I go in there.

if they nuked my pc, i would demand $600 just for all the files missing and songs etc or else take them to court :p

Only $600? You're being too nice on them. That's like a a mosquito bite to them. Heck they won't even feel the bite.

Sorry guys but bestbuy's geek squad policy clearly states that you should back-up all important files prior to sending computers in for repair because data may be wiped or lost at any time. I see it on all the stickers when I go in there.

In this case, they promised not to nuke the drive. I guess verbal conversation doesn't bind?

Does anyone know if it's standard practice for them to keep a backup image in their shop just in case?

you could still use data recovery software to get the files back :)

then go yell at them for some compo :p

Thing is, she has the power cord and the battery can only hold for 10 more minutes. Plus I won't be able to see her for another month. She's not in the States currently.

In this case, they promised not to nuke the drive. I guess oral conversation doesn't bind?

Does anyone know if it's standard practice for them to keep a backup image in their shop just in case?

bestbuy has terrible customer service. I doubt they would go that far. I overall have just had terrible experiences with bestbuy. I still can't believe on the day after thanksgiving they only had one freaking register open for 100 people. They don't give a damn.

Technically if their policy says they can wipe your pc at any time, and they recommend you backup anything important before hand, thats what you should do.

Technically they dont have to give her anything in compensation. Yes its annoying but backups of anything important should always be done.

At most they will probably offer some cheapo software or webcam. U'd be lucky to get that IMHO. Sueing will cost her money and she'll probably lose due to the policy.

thats why i made sure i backed up everything before sending my macbook pro to get the logic board replaced. I made sure to tell them to JUST replace the board and let me handle everything myself but i didnt trust them enough not to backup my data

' date='Jul 30 2006, 01:46' post='587746098']

bestbuy has terrible customer service. I doubt they would go that far. I overall have just had terrible experiences with bestbuy. I still can't believe on the day after thanksgiving they only had one freaking register open for 100 people. They don't give a damn.

^ Neowin's qouating system is a bit messed up. Look at the header of the qoute.

Sometimes I wonder how can they stay in the business of basically ripping people off and pushing warranties like you-need-it-else-you-will-die-without. How's GeedSquad tho? I haven't heard anything bad about them before. I fix my own comp so I don't pay attention to computer shops.

Why in bloody heck did you allow her to use Geeksquad??

Sigh, I didn't know untill her laptop's already fixed (or nuked) and waiting for me to help her pick it up.

But this is the most retarded thing ever. Formatting the HD because they replaced a CD ROM drive....... The only time my laptop was formatted was when the HD died and they put a new one in and made the best they could to recover my data even though i had backups they still done it for me. )

gotta love pc world

Back everything up. That way, if your hard drive breaks from old age, gets dropped on the floor, ripped a new one by a hurricane, stolen, mangled by magnets, struck by lightning, finger-snapped out of existence by God, or re-imaged by overzealous techs, you have that data elsewhere.

I work at a help desk, and we can help restore order, no matter what the problem, if you have your data backed up. If you bring in the steaming pile of goo that used to be your laptop before you dropped it into the vat of H2SO4, and an intact external hard drive of backed up data, we'll smile and tell you that you'll be good to go in less than a week. Otherwise, SOL.

Now that the drive has been re-imaged, there's nothing you can really do about recovering the data. You can try running backup programs, but the volume of data written to the disk in a re-image will make recovery of files difficult. You can probably go back and yell at them, or sue them, but that won't make the data come back.

Man! I'd be in there ranting and raving like some kind of deranged lunatic! That is TOTALLY unacceptable that they wiped the hard drive just to fix a cd-rom. They should've called you personally, before doing any other type work to that system. Of course, I can't figure out what "other" type work would've needed to be done to even have to touch a file anywhere.

I work for the Geek Squad. Bullet point number 10 on the disclaimer you sign when you drop something off for service states that we aren't responsible for lost/corrupted/stolen data. Geek Squad generally doesn't erase data without permission, but most laptops that need hardware repairs (that are under the PSP) go to a company called DEX (Data Exchange Corporation). Your data is only backed up if you have an ADH (accidental damage from handling) plan, otherwise you have to pay for it. We do not make backups for free.

The whole verbal agreement being binding thing doesn't count in this case, because the laptop would have gone to DEX or the manufacturer. Since the agreement was made with Geek Squad and not DEX or the manufacturer, no laws were broken, no contracts violated. In most cases (at least at my store), if you complain enough we'll send the HDD to the store on Preston Rd in Dallas, TX to have the data attempted to be recovered. Usually it's not possible after a DEX reformat (they're infamous for it), but we can try. The Preston Rd data recovery service is only available in a very select market in north Texas.

DEX, however, is on it's way out. Geek Squad City is supposed to be opening soon in Kansas and most laptop repairs will be handled there. Don't think for a second that any Geek Squad agent enjoys working with DEX. I personally would bomb the company if given the chance. Most of the time, I pull the HDD and give it to the customer and tell them to bring it when they come in to pick up their laptop and we'll pop it back in for them.

I personally think that the service plans are a good idea. There might be hassle getting something fixed (wait times and such), but usually 1 repair covers the cost of the service plan.

Oh and by the way... DEX charges $72.64 for a CMOS battery..... we had it on the shelf for $3.00, but we couldn't use it because those "repairs" can't be handled in store.

Actually your friend's laptop was probably sent to the manufacturer to get the CD-ROM replaced, as Geeksquad precincts rarely do laptop hardware installs themselves, especially if it requires getting a special part like that from the OEM. (Usually its only Memory upgrades and software stuff.) The manufacturers ALWAYS wipe the drives, Why? We still don't know, but they do it anyways. But I can almost guarantee that Geeksquad themselves did not do this. Not to say that there is not the occasional inept Agent, but that's another story. :cool:

skozsert: Thanks for explaining the other side of the story. It's always good to know what actually happened behind the scenes. I don't want to bash you personally, but the fact that she was promised not to reinstall Windows and still nuked her files by sending it to DEX (possibly as you suggested) made me and her loose fate in the company as a whole.